***How to FIX poor battery on Droid***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Respectfully I think you need to do some research into modern day lithium batteries. They do not have memories, they don't require a full 24 hour charge even.

I have researched this pretty heavily. I came from the school of thought that batteries had memories and that you should fully discharge them before recharging. That simply is not the case with these new batteries.

You all can argue if you like, but I've had this conversation at lest 50 times. Usually I have a slew of people who back me on this but I'm not getting it on this thread. So think what you want. I'll leave you be.

You are correct, I will back you up. I'm an engineer too, that means something, right?

Again that is my point. "IT" did not work for you. Something else you did (knowingly or unknowingly), did work for you. There are a ridiculous amounts of variables involved here. What I'm trying to get across is if our Engineers had the same reasoning you are having, then all our bridges would have collapsed, we wouldn't have power, and we'd more than likely be stuck a period of dark ages.

I'm just trying to say that your reasoning as to why this fixed your battery is incredibly flawed. I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm trying to tell you how it is. It is because people reason like this is the main cause to why misinformation is spread like wildfires.

Also correct. The original poster should read this:
Spurious relationship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your idea of battery charging is the exact definition of this concept.

You really need to relax. You are really jumping the gun insisting that charging the phone for 24 did not help this Droid owner when you have no proof. As an engineer myself, I can tell you there is no such thing as a "sure" thing. Your "expert" opinion on why the Motorola engineers instruct Droid users to charge their Droid for 24 hours is misinformation.

He's fine, no need to relax. Just trying to prevent misinformation, nothing wrong with that. He approached it very maturely and without flame. It is very likely that they instruct 24 hours incase the battery arrives with 0% and the user wants to charge with a PC USB connection which provides much less power, and would take quite a while to charge it fully. 24 hours? Probably not, but a while.

Let's all move on. :icon_ banana:Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Again that is my point. "IT" did not work for you. Something else you did (knowingly or unknowingly), did work for you. There are a ridiculous amounts of variables involved here. What I'm trying to get across is if our Engineers had the same reasoning you are having, then all our bridges would have collapsed, we wouldn't have power, and we'd more than likely be stuck a period of dark ages.

I'm just trying to say that your reasoning as to why this fixed your battery is incredibly flawed. I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm trying to tell you how it is. It is because people reason like this is the main cause to why misinformation is spread like wildfires.

You really need to relax. You are really jumping the gun insisting that charging the phone for 24 did not help this Droid owner when you have no proof. As an engineer myself, I can tell you there is no such thing as a "sure" thing. Your "expert" opinion on why the Motorola engineers instruct Droid users to charge their Droid for 24 hours is misinformation.

1. Engineers don't write instruction manuals.
2. That same 24 charge thing has been in manuals as far back as I can remember, even with my analog only Motorola Startac.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I understand the desire and the *need* to keep wrong information out of the mass population so that people aren't running around saying things like "run task killerz nao or ur phonz will blow" but the OP didn't say he knew anything about the semantics of batteries, he is just passing along information that came out the phones instructions.

What is so wrong with him saying "The book says charge your phone for 24 hours. It worked for me *it* could work for you! Have a good day!"

He has mentioned he didn't know how batteries work perse and he also mentioned he wasn't disagreeing with how batteries work perse, he was saying this worked for him, it could work for you.

Are you going to brow beat the guy XXXXX posts down that said, "If your browser isn't going to the right site, go outside, flip your phone upside and hop on one leg four times, THEN pull the battery and it might fix it. Worked for me and could work for you too!"

People are here to share experiences with problems and what they've done to fix them, while we have numerous posts about how things work and why they work, we still need the posts of people out there trying things to fix the problems and as someone further up said "Nothing is ever certain".

=\

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You obviously did not read the original post when he had it in caps, twice to CHARGE YOUR PHONE FOR 24 HOURS! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

He later editted it to include the instruction manual part, and remove the caps.

Let me ask this. Should placebo fixes be praised, or corrected? From reading your post, I get the impression you think they should be praised.

Last edited:

nerdbox08

Reaction score
You obviously did not read the original post when he had it in caps, twice to CHARGE YOUR PHONE FOR 24 HOURS! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

He later editted it to include the instruction manual part, and remove the caps.

Let me ask this. Should placebo fixes be praised, or corrected? From reading your post, I get the impression you think they should be praised.

You're right, I did miss the original; but even beyond that, what is the point of beating the crap out of someone?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

You're right, I did miss the original; but even beyond that, what is the point of beating the crap out of someone?

As you read further through the post, it was made clear that it was a placebo and the info was corrected. Yet, some sheeple didn't listen, and some argued. It didn't turn particularly ugly until the argument started.

Even then, its not really that ugly of a discussion.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

As you read further through the post, it was made clear that it was a placebo and the info was corrected. Yet, some sheeple didn't listen, and some argued. It didn't turn particularly ugly until the argument started.

Even then, its not really that ugly of a discussion.

Sheeple? This is great.

I'm just going to refrain from continuing, but I felt that you should know I did read what you said, I just don't want to prolong the argument; Have a good day :)

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Nickel Cadmium Hydride and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries usually required those long 8+ hour charge times after you did a full discharge due to a memory effect if you didn't. Lithium Ion, especially the new'er batteries claim to have no memory. The most harmful thing you can do to a Lithium Ion is completely drain it, they like to be kept at 100% charge.

With my laptops and my cell phones - I keep them 100% charged as much as possible. My droid has a car charger, a work charger, and a home charger. After 1-2 years, my co-workers with the same laptops/cell phones tend to have easily 1/2 the battery life.

I think there is something to be said for keeping it plugged in a lot.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yes, sheeple.

Thats how placebos work, yes. The herd mentality of many people allow them to see perceived changes, instead of what is really happening.

Its been shown time and again, with bottled water tests, where they truly believe that they are drinking bottled water because they were told so. Yet, it was filled from a water hose out back.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again that is my point. "IT" did not work for you. Something else you did (knowingly or unknowingly), did work for you
This is an excellent point. In my experience most people don't understand the difference between coincidental and causal. We have no idea what other factors could have been affecting the OP's battery life. We only have his anecdotal evidence without any other tests to confirm his results.

You are really jumping the gun insisting that charging the phone for 24 did not help this Droid owner when you have no proof. As an engineer myself, I can tell you there is no such thing as a "sure" thing.
Logically then, we should be skeptical of the OP's claim as well. We need other people to corroborate his findings.

Your "expert" opinion on why the Motorola engineers instruct Droid users to charge their Droid for 24 hours is misinformation.
As has already been pointed out, the charging directions that come with the Droid also come with every other phone out there. There's nothing to me that indicates that an engineer drafted these directions specifically for the Droid.

Last edited:

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Nickel Cadmium Hydride and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries usually required those long 8+ hour charge times after you did a full discharge due to a memory effect if you didn't. Lithium Ion, especially the new'er batteries claim to have no memory. The most harmful thing you can do to a Lithium Ion is completely drain it, they like to be kept at 100% charge.

This is half right. You are correct that they do not like to be completely drained. However, they should be exercised regularly and you can do just as much damage if they are pegged at 100% all the time. When plugged in the battery is left alone in most laptops, unless the laptop itself has a discharge/charge feature that is done automatically to prevent this. I believe some ThinkPads have this, so I'm sure others do as well, but it isn't something to go assuming. You should "use" the battery at least once every couple weeks.

(This is more for laptops with Li-Ion batteries, as a phone naturally will be exercised from everyday use.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just took my battery to full discharge last night to the point my phone shut off. I DID THIS ON PURPOSE. every ONCE in a while its GOOD to fully discharge your battery.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) [/FONT]

-=Jason=-

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I just took my battery to full discharge last night to the point my phone shut off. I DID THIS ON PURPOSE. every ONCE in a while its GOOD to fully discharge your battery.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) [/FONT]
-=Jason=-

Fyi, your phone shuts off power before the battery is actually fully discharged.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok sorry i wrote out a reply and it didn't have the first part of it on there.

What i was saying was that there are many articles on here about batteries, this is just another redundant thread. While some views may not be shared by all they are however pretty accurate.

You do not need to charge your battery for 24 hours. This is false information. All you have done is taken a scenario where it seems like that is what fixed your battery problem, when in reality your problem is/was something else. There is countless documentation on this subject and it has been answered thousands of times. Usually the issue for poor battery life is usually application related. For instance, I was noticing my battery dropped fairly quickly. I also noticed my GPS was constantly being used for some reason. Turned out I had Google.com set as my start page in dolphin browser. Now I can't tell you why but for some reason if the browser was open and on Google it would constantly use the GPS. If i exited the browser (hold the back button and select exit) and not just tapping the back button or home page, the problem would go away. Now I can't tell you why Google in Dolphin Browser was forcing the GPS to constantly acquire a location, but for some reason it was. This was not an issue in the Stock Browser that came with the phone.

Long story short most times applications are eating up your battery life, and you have unknowingly done something around the same time you let your battery sit on charge for 24 hours. This has caused you to believe that putting your battery on charge for 24 hours as fixed your issues.

Now as to why they put this in your manual. Well that is pretty simple to explain. Many people in the world are completely ignorant. They put this 24 hours rule in the manual to keep people from complaining or returning the phone due to it only showing a 60% charge after they bought. When in reality all that had to be done is simply charge the phone. I know it sounds dumb, but its called idiot proofing. Unfortunately for us, this makes it look like our batteries will not work properly unless charged for 24 hours according to manual.

Bottom Line: It is completely unnecessary to completely drain, fully charge, or charge for 24 hours.

This is 99% accurate as described below is the other 1% accuracy that it was missing. There are 100's of different reasons though why a battery will drain faster or slower, a program might be stuck, or even the GPS might be running without you knowing it. Just too many factors to say 1 thing fixed it.

Fyi, your phone shuts off power before the battery is actually fully discharged.

If you continue to read the rest of the statement after the orange lettering it states, "letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment." It doesn't mean that the battery has to reach 0.0% it just means to the point in which that piece of equipment no longer runs. It is actually advised to do that once in awhile, though not all the time. Once every month to 2 months will do just fine. As stated they don't have the memory effect, but the accuracy that they put out CAN be effected by certain factors, and doing this allows for that to be reset. If your laptop has a battery health check, sometimes it even tells you that you "have to calibrate your battery, and to do this you need to allow the power to run down and then charge it fully back up".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.