OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
english.....

AlexSB

Reaction score
This is a great thread! I would love to know how each ROM played out according to your week long evaluation, this has to be the first thread where I have completely read through each post (rooted a couple days ago, for the first time so I'm still reading up on the forums about ROMs, Overclocking, themeing, etc.).

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am late and I apologize for sleeping on this thread. I am now using the new liberty rom and must admit I was slow to give up my p3 droid 3.0.0. I really love having profiles but I like having my phone not lag. This rom is fast and with the speed of gummy and the tools from rummy we have a nice mixture that liberates the user from blur. Make sure you check out the toolbox in your app drawer.

junebug

Reaction score
What all will installing a ROM do? Not sure I want to until I know the pros and cons and what all you can do with it and use it for. Thanks

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

AlexSB

Reaction score
I am late and I apologize for sleeping on this thread. I am now using the new liberty rom and must admit I was slow to give up my p3 droid 3.0.0. I really love having profiles but I like having my phone not lag. This rom is fast and with the speed of gummy and the tools from rummy we have a nice mixture that liberates the user from blur. Make sure you check out the toolbox in your app drawer.

Im running squidlys rom at the moment, and im interested in flashing liberty actually. Right off the bat, what will be some of the things I immediately love about liberty? Miss from squidlys?

Also, do I need to be running gummyjar to flash to liberty? Or can I flash it straight from squidlys? Do you recommend testing out gummyjar first?

Sorry about all the questions, im still a little new to the rooted side =)

Sent from my Droid II running squidlys mod

jschoef

Reaction score
I came from nonblur squidly to liberty for 1 day. In that 1 day, I liked liberty but needed custom ringtones for callers and liberty didn't have that, though I guess that feature is coming this week.

Once that feature is here, I won't be able to recommend one over the other.

Liberty has a great custom toolbox and squids has scripts. More themes are on liberty but I love squidls notification bar more than any of libertys themes (this is just personal taste). I also do like how the blur dialer looks on squids but I like how libertys stock android dialer responds better than blur (ie call history).

I might give liberty a try again but I do think I'm sticking with squidly as it has very little bugs and I'm used to it (I have everything how I like it).

lizard

Reaction score
One thing people seldom seem to mention about Squidly's rom is the removal of haptic features and the placement of the lockbar on the lock screen. As far as I know none of the other roms disable haptic. PLEASE correct me if im wrong. Seems like a real good way to save juice, not to mention most people seem to find all that buzzing anoying after the first week or so.

Sent from my Squidlied Droid2 using Droid Forums app.....

jschoef

Reaction score
On liberty it was minimal for the lock screen and normal on everything else. On squidly, you can practically remove it on the lock screen but it removes it every else too (except vibrate ringing).

grimloktt

Reaction score
Are you able to comment as to which one is the fastest so far?

Also, which ones still allow SIM card capability?

jschoef

Reaction score
Sim cards are for the Global version, these roms arent for global. I didnt really see a differance between the 2 for speed.

grimloktt

Reaction score
Sim cards are for the Global version, these roms arent for global. I didnt really see a differance between the 2 for speed.

Roger that. As I read more, I'm realizing I was cruising the wrong section. This thread is a great idea though! :icon_ banana:

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know I have not been on here updating for awhile but their was a reason. I wanted to actually use each of the roms in an every day atmosphere and I wanted to improve my knowledge about the development community. Now that I have had the opportunity to do both I must again thank the developers for the work each of you do. Many of you spend a lot of time working on these roms and we again thank you.

Now for an updated response to "what rom is right for me". You need to ask yourself "what do I want my phone to do". Personally I had a droid 1 and went to the droid 2. Though I like some of blur I found alternates for the blur widgets and apps I use via the market. For example, I love the blur messaging widget, social widget, contact widget, and notepad, but I do not like the lag I get from blur. Instead I will run a blurless rom and use launcherpro premium for my contact widget, jorte for my calendar widget, either launcher pro premium or handcent widget for my messaging widget, tweetdeck for social apps, and some type of notepad app. The difference is they do not run in the background and run smoother. The trade off is they do not look as good as blur.
Now if you are in the middle where you are not ready to get rid of blur, or you want to just take it easy being it is your first rom. I suggest a rom that allow you to choose your blur. Squidlymandingo's rom is a nice rom that sit perfectly in the middle for those who want to use roms but want to keep parts of blu.
If you want to keep all of blur then a rom like Apex may be for you.

So basically you need to decide what you want to do with your device. The best way to do that is to just use your device as is and decide what you want to do. If you like blur then look for roms that is built off of blur. If you not quite sure yet then maybe play with squidly's rom and use that as a judge for you. And if you are like me and just hate blur all together, or prefer performance over look then look to a blurless rom. It is your device and what is great for me may not be your cup of tea. This thread is meant as a guide and remember before installing any rom make sure you make a nandroid backup and ensure you have rsdlite set up just in case. And to take it a step further, backup your entire sdcard on to your computer just in case.
Hopefully this thread helps you decide on a rom that will work best for you. Enjoy the work of these good developers and make sure to follow the instructions posted by the developers.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I am debating on if I want to stick to a blur rom or not. I really enjoy blur for the most part. It causes me absolutely no lag on this phone compared to my Moto Backflip. I am not a big social networker, having never ever posted a status update or tweet(etc), and never posting on walls when I can message the person..It seems Go Contacts MIGHT be bale to fill that void, but when trying Go Contacts on the backflip, the contact list worked fine, but when viewing a contacts details it went from Go Conacts to the Motoblur details page. Has any one tried Go Contacts on a blurless rom to see how it well it compares to blur in regards to showing status updates and such on the details page?

Otherwise if I stick to a blur rom, I cant seem to decide Squidlymandingo or the ApeX rom. Maybe some one could outline the differences a little bit so I can decide which one to atleast try first. I suspect it may come down to trying the roms for myself. The backflip this never posed much a problem as the rom selection was so thin, but an outline would be nice none the less.

Last edited:

northeastern

Reaction score
can somebody give me a good 1st rom to try out? i just rooted my phone yesterday and am new to the whole thing and just dont know where to start...