How to find the rom that is right for me

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This thread is just to help guide you on what roms to try based on what you are looking for. This thread will grow as we learn more about the different roms and as we have more developers make roms for the droid 2. This thread is neutral and will not suggest one rom over another it will just point you in the way you want to go based on what you prefer.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What rom is right for me:

A) Vanilla android
or
B) Blur

Description: Vanilla android is what originally came with the droid 1 and the Nexus...it is Android from source with out the phone putting their UI on it. The benefits to vanilla android is performance, the ability to customize the device to the fullest with out having apps or widgets preinstalled. Disadvantages: not having the customized widgets made by motorola. Having to search the market to install all the apps and widgets you want (some may see this as an advantage but to others new to android it can be a disadvantage). The UI does not look as stylish as the motorola U.I
MotorBlur: Is motorola's UI layered on top of android o.s. It is designed to provide better user experience and come pre-installed with apps and widgets designed to attract the average user. Advantage is the look and the widgets. Disadvantage: loss of performance, lag, unwanted app pre-installed.

Vanilla Android Roms:

Fission: This rom is made by team defuse and is a blurless rom. It offers the vanilla android feel similar to that of the d1 and Nexus one. see more of his work here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/fisson/

Epic: Also a vanilla android rom built from source, epic is created by Matt4542. See more of his work here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/epic-d2/

Gummy Jar: A rom created by Kejar31, the developer classify it as an ASOP like rom that is based off moto rom. It is cleaned up and geared towards speed. See more of his work here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gummyjar-droid2/

Liberty: Kejar, the developer of Gummy Jar, paired up with Jrummy to bring users a rom that combined the stability of Gummy jar with the tweaks and tools that Jrummy provides in his apps. This rom is stable, fast, and just all around blurless and full of tweaks and mods. Make sure you check out the toolbox for ways to tweak the rom. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-d2/

Cobalt: Is a pure AOSP rom for the droid 2 and droid X developed by Matt4542. It is the only true AOSP rom for the droid 2 that is out and functional. There are some minor bugs that the developers is working out, but it runs great and for those coming from the droid 1 world they know how smooth an AOSP rom can be.

Blur Roms:

Squidlymandingo: Created by Squidlymandingo, this rom keeps the motoblur and looks to improve on it to provide a better user experinece. Squidly also allow for users to choose what part of blur to keep if any. See more of his work here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/squidlymandingo/

ApeX: Created by Fabulous, originally designed for the Droid X but now ported the to the droid 2. This Blur rom also improves on performance. The team moto is 2 parts AOSP and 1 part Blur All ApeX. See more of his work here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/apex/

My Spill

SO what is the best rom? The best rom is based on the user experience, a rom that may be great for me may not be as cool for someone else. Android is about choice and the ability to choose what is right for YOU based on what you want your device to do. There is no great rom out there it is just what is the rom that is the best for you.

I do not see my favorite rom. If I left a rom off post and I will update the op.

I think __________ developer/rom suck. Ok keep it to yourself or for another forum, this thread will not tolerate bashing a dev or the supporters of a certain rom. This is just designed to provide users with basic knowledge of each rom so they can decide for themselves what to try. And as always make sure you make a nandroid backup and that you have rsdlite prepared just in case. Flashing a rom is your choice and your device is your responsibility. Always protect your investment by making sure you pay attention to the instructions on how to install the rom and do not proceed with installing a rom until you are confident in how to restore a nandroid backup and how to use rsdlite.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Excellent idea PC!! :dancedroid:

DroidForums junkie!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It will be nice to be able to send people here. One comment though, you may want to add a description to squidlys rom explaining that it is also selective blur. Basically comming in two flavors, blur and little to no blur, and that you can decide after the fact which peices of blur you would like to keep or ditch.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Azurikai

Reaction score
Good post, using rom's is definitely a choice of personal preference. I USED to prefer Fission because of its availibility of themes. Now I'm using Apex because its different, it still has good parts of Blur in it, and it has themes and cool transitions. Thats why I use it. It definitely is all about what feels right for you. The best thing to do by far is try all of them.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It will be nice to be able to send people here. One comment though, you may want to add a description to squidlys rom explaining that it is also selective blur. Basically comming in two flavors, blur and little to no blur, and that you can decide after the fact which peices of blur you would like to keep or ditch.

Thanks Spaz I will make that addition.

pkbest

Reaction score
Nice post! I learned something new today. I also didnt know anything about the Apex rom.. *looks it up*

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Apex is brand new. Just got ported from the x and fabolous has been very supportive. From what I understand there aree several other ports on the horizon so keep your eyes peeled.

pkbest

Reaction score
Apex is brand new. Just got ported from the x and fabolous has been very supportive. From what I understand there aree several other ports on the horizon so keep your eyes peeled.

Im'm definitely glad to see that Droid 2 is starting to see some support and get more things ported over. If I could find a decent thread on porting x to d2 I'd be more than willing to help the cause; however, I don't own an X which I keep seeing is a need to port. However, i downloaded the JDK and Android SDK kit and have been playing with the emulator making framework image modifications for last few days. Mostly playing with differences in the lock bar since it is an easy mod.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will be using each devs rom for a week so I can provide better info and help. During that period Ima bug the heck out of the developer if any of you have any questions about a particular rom that I am on feel free to ask. I will not answer "what rom is better".

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am currently using the fission rom all this week so ill take all questions about that. If I do not answer immediately be patient. I am not on the forum all day just during periods at a time.

pkbest

Reaction score
I am currently using the fission rom all this week so ill take all questions about that. If I do not answer immediately be patient. I am not on the forum all day just during periods at a time.

Do you mean you are using the fission rom that is currently out or the new RC available on the website? I've been curious to try this one, but i've had such luck with Squidly's which was first ROM i've ever tried that I didn't bother trying other's yet.. (clue word yet).dancedroid

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am on 2.2.2 the one on the website looks to be for the droid x I can try to find the dev and get that info for you.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ima add something here...during this time Ima invite the dev of the rom to tell us about themselves and the group and during the week ask them to answer questions about the rom. So this will give people a chance to learn more about the rom.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Being the dev of fission released a new version I will be trying that this week. Again I will not post how I feel about the rom because that is not the point of this thread. I will use it to answer questions and give tips on how to install and make the best out of your rom experience.