how to exit bootloader screen after unroot attempt

sjmena

Reaction score
i have a desperate situation. my rooted droid2 2.2 was working fine, then it automatically upgraded to 2.3.30 and caused the apps for rooted droid to not work. i was told to unroot before rerooting again.

i followed steps 1-12 for unrooting (Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers) with windows 7 but now i have a blank black screen on the droid 2 and i dont know how to get out of it. It is a black screen with white lines that read "bootloader; d2.35...mem_map blank; service req'd; battery ok; ok to program;connect usb data cable"

not sure what to do now. i rather have an unrooted phone than no phone at all. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

download rsdlite 4.8 from that site
download the full sbf for 2.3.20

run rsdlite with that sbf.

after your phone boots up, do a battery pull.
Boot into recovery (stock recovery will work)
wipe data/factory reset
reboot

...now your phone is out of the box 2.3.20

trook

Reaction score
the same EXACT thing happened to me, pc747 is 100% right. The ONLY thing you can do is sbf then reroot if you choose to. Your phone is in bootloader mode which is whats needed to sbf, you lost root when the update went through, you cannot unroot (remove superuser) because your not rooted, you cannot reroot as your phone "thinks" its rooted. I had to sbf with the new 2.3.20 the directions are great and it worked fine. If you need any help with it you will find it here for sure.

OP
S

sjmena

Reaction score
thank you so much. i cannot wait to try out these instructions. i already downloaded RDSlite and the sbf. However, another problem has come up that is preventing me from doing as you suggest.
Even though my phone has been charging overnight, the message on the phone now reads, "bootloader... battery low cannot program". So when i connect the phone to the computer with usb cable, the phone screen turns completely black and RSDlite does not find the phone.
Any suggestions are again greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

iwearhats

Reaction score
your battery is below a safe level for it to completely flash. I suggest find a non USB cable charger (like a standard wall charger not the data cable) as the phone won't think it's a USB cable and it should charge.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
S

sjmena

Reaction score
My phone has been charging for two nights and it is still blinking the message:
"bootloader...battery low cannot program"
The first night it charged with the USB cable wall charger and the second night with an old standard wall charger.
This low battery message is causing the RSDlite to not find my phone when i plug it to the laptop, so i can sbf the phone :(
Any other suggestions please!

CellZealot

Reaction score
This should be stickied at the top of every thread that has anything to do with flashing your phone with RSD Lite!

YOU CANNOT CHARGE THE PHONE WHILE IN BOOTLOADER OR RECOVERY!! YOU NEED TO CHARGE THE BATTERY COMPLETELY BEFORE STARTING ANY FLASH PROCEDURE!

That said, now you need to either charge your battery in another phone or external charger or buy a spare battery to use to flash your phone and fix it.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
"i have a desperate situation. my rooted droid2 2.2 was working fine, then it automatically upgraded to 2.3.30 and caused the apps for rooted droid to not work. i was told to unroot before rerooting again."

This is new to me. I had to get back to "rooted bloat original" for the update to work. Then, after update of course, I was unrooted and the apps that work only if you are rooted would not work. I rooted, backed up and all was fine. How can you un-root a phone that is not rooted?.

OP
S

sjmena

Reaction score
Thank you CellZealot. Wish someone had told me about needing a fully charged battery. Unfortuantely 2 Verizon stores did not have an external charger and refused to charge my battery, so I'm now desperately seeking for a local droid user to charge my battery. I'm optimistic :)

chrstdvd, please see trook's message above. the automatic upgrade unrooted my phone, however, i still had the superuser (ninja icon) permission as if it were rooted. as troosk said, i could not reroot my phone because according to it, it was already rooted. thus, i had to unroot to reroot.

blueis300

Reaction score
Well after posting about my situation it seem I just need to find a full battery to complete what I started as it wont charge it bootloader mode. I was at 90% and thought it would be enough. I completed the .sbf but never finished the rom install and I guess thats when things went corrupt.