How to ensure that a rom stays "fast" and "smooth"

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by The Rick, Apr 25, 2010.

1. The Rick

The Rick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search and didnt' come up with much. I have loaded many roms over the past few months and i've noticed one trend that has driven me nuts. It seems that after 3-7 days with a rom, the phone appears to start having errors, slow downs and even crashes. To be exact, I have been running UD10 with GDE for about 5-7 days now. After about day 5, the whole system went from very fast and responsive to having a ton of lag, its slow to go back to the home screen, sometimes it even freezes up. I have tried rebooting and I keep a good eye on my app memory (at 186mb right now as I'm partitioned).

What do you do to keep your phone running smooth? I have noticed this happens on all of the roms i've tried. The first few days the rom seems amazingly fast and responsive and over time it turns to sludge. I end up loading a updated rom etc and it fixes the issue....for a few days. Does anyone else notice this? I hope i'm simply missing some memory issue (like clearing the cache?) that is causing this to happen.

Any suggestions? Thank you for any help!
    rick
  2. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    Things I do to stay fast:
    1. I don't use GDE.
    2. I don't install every market app I can find.
    3. I am careful of what apps I install that have services constantly running.
    4. I use MinFreeManager instead of an app killer.
  3. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1 to all of this and ill add on more.
    5. I always clear my browser cache/market cache (mainly browser cuz i use it a lot)
    6. I stay overclocked to ensure that things are speedy.
    7. i remove any unwanted applications that came with the rom (ex. corporate calendar, google talk, extra launchers, etc)
    8. i periodically check whats running in the background and close things that take up a lot of memory (ex. i play pocket empire and sometimes its a running service using 15 mb so i close it)
    9. i dont run live wallpapers except for when im showing off my phone, cuz there mainly just eye candy anyways.
  4. sandfreak

sandfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is good information because I too have a phone that's performing like a 20 year old computer right now

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. ZBoater

ZBoater Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Memory management on the Droid seems very good, but it is not perfect. Keeping an eye on what is running and how much memory you have left is the best way to ensure good performance. Even rebooting won't work if you have too many apps that autoload. And a combination of things (like weather widgets, finance widgets, live wallpaper, etc.) can cause the phone to be sluggish right from boot. Just like any other computer. :)
  6. The Rick

The Rick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
    I had set UD10 with free75mb but it doesn't appear to be functioning. The task killer "task manager" with a memory available widget is reading around 40mb. I'm honestly not sure what this really means or how much this number should be

With minfreemanager, any advice on what settings should be used?

I did remove the app dock from GDE and that seemed to actually help a good amount. GDE was running perfectly fast for about 4 days so I believe its something else causing the issue i've been seeing.

What about having different home screen setups? are these actually using memory? For example, I have GDE, helixlauncher and helixlauncher2 and a normal home. When these are all installed, how much are they actually doing? If this is eating up my memory, I need to figure out how to uninstall the ones i'm not using!
  7. The Rick

The Rick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, what app are you guys using that shows what each app is taking up for system memory? I did have one on my phone but either I can't find it or i've deleted it and have no idea what it was called

8. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1 to what everyone said already....

look at the link in my post fr an in depth description of Android's internal task killer, and how minfreememory uses it to keep memory free.
  9. dmt316

dmt316 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would uninstall the ones you dont use with root manager, i know bd has custom scripts; go to his new site and look there for help
Search tags for this page
best way to keep android smooth
how do i keep my droid razr2 running fast
how do i keep my galaxy s4 running smoothly?
how much memory android need to run smoothly
how to keep galaxy s3 running smooth
how to keep my moto g running fast?
how to keep my s3 running fast
keeping your samsung note running fast
what i do for my android 4.2 fast smooth

which app would i get on my phone to keep it running smooth