1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

how to edit the eri.xml

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DF Smod, Jul 5, 2010.

1. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I have been getting alot of PM's on how to edit the eri.xml (Verizon Wireless Banner) so hopefully this makes it easier for all. Also I know there is more than one way to do this and I welcome different ways and better suggestions. I am going to write what has worked for me and the tools I have used.

So here it goes

The eri.xml is located in the framework-res.apk which is inside the system/framework, to find it you will need Root Explorer from the Market. Once you have root explorer go into system/framework and long press on the framework-res.apk, hit copy and paste it on the Root of your SD and go ahead and rename it to framework-res.apk.bak

Connect to your P.C. and mount, drag over the framework-res.apk.bak and rename it to framework-res.zip (I use WinZip, some people use 7zip but since this is not a data app it really isn't necessary) open the .zip file and navigate to res/xml and this is where you will see the eri.xml drag it over to your Computer and to edit it you will need a Hex Editor. I use HxD (Google It) its easy and free.

Once you have HxD downloaded and installed open it and drag the eri.xml inside of it. On the right hand side you will see some lettering and codes that look like this

RoamingIndicator...
    IconIndex...IconMode...
    EriText...AlertId...EriInfo
    ......64...Verizon Wireless
    ...65...Network Extender
    ...66...Extended Network
    ...67...68...Roaming...69.

Where you see the words Verizon Wireless this is where you will be inserting your own 16 letter or less banner. To do this left click right before the last letter in the word Wireless and highlight the words Verizon Wireless from back to front. Your cursor will be at the V in Verizon and the banner will still be highlighted. While it is highlighted you will be able to change it to whatever you like. Start typing what you would like to have written there for example if you were to change it to Droid Assassin as you start to type, the D will overwrite the V and so on. If the old text is not being overwritten and all of the text on the right side is moving while you type then you are not doing something right, close it don't save and start over. When you have put in what you would like your banner to say, if there are still some of the letters from the original banner Verizon Wireless left use the spacebar and it will overwrite those letters with a blank space.

When you are done editing this save it and open your framework-res.zip again, go back to res/xml and drag your newly edited eri.xml into this folder and it will overwrite the old eri.xml

Remount your Droid to your P.C. and drag the framework-res.zip to the Root of your SD, unmount and go into Root Explorer and find the framework-res.zip and rename it to framework-res.apk (your original should still be on your SD named framework-res.apk.bak) I use Better Terminal to push my framework back into the system, you can use adb i am not sure about that process though. As I said I welcome someone who does know to post some instructions.

In Better Terminal

su
    sys -rw
    cd /sdcard
    cp -R framework-res.apk /system/framework
    sys -ro
    sync
    reboot

make sure the spaces are before the slashes and dashes or you will get errors

These Terminal Commands are good for Bugless Beast 0.3-0.4 someone else will have to post Terminal commands for other ROMS if it's even needed, I am not sure as I said I know what has worked for me

As always have a good backup
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Thanks for this. Not so much for the editing of the banner (though I'm going to give it a shot) but for the quickie on editing an XML file.

If one was going to try and edit elsewhere, and the text that was going to replace existing was shorter/longer than existing, does it always need to be handled with the spacebar? What if longer (like the above example and your replacement was longer than 16 letter)?

BTW there's a typo, 16 letters, not words ;)
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the typo, 16 words is almost a paragraph.

As far as using the spacebar to overwrite the remaining text you are trying to replace, I am sure that's the only way, and I have heard of people replacing shorter text with longer text, but not for the eri, for other places like you are talking about. I believe that in the Dark Edge Theme when you hold down the Power Button and the Shutdown Window pops up that text was Modified and is longer than Original
  4. mph122074

mph122074 New Member

This is pretty cool...

Directions are right on. I did not use terminal to put it back in place but still very good write up...

I used root explorer to copy and paste and the just set permissions and rebooted and it worked great...

Thanks for this...

However be aware you will have to re-setup a few things like email and wallpapers when you get back in...

Thanks

Mike
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Could you post up "How To Set the Permissions" just in case someone else wants to use that method...thanks
  6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

In root explorer, long press the APK and select Permissions. Then set the options to match below.

[​IMG]

However, when pushing with TE I don't set permissions, after reboot it just works.
  7. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Also, the APKTOOL is amazing for decompiling any XMLs, editing them in their easy to read state, then recompile them..
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Is that an app or for your PC?

Also, where's the code to change the color of the text once changed?
  9. mph122074

mph122074 New Member

Yeah I just do it this way cause I dont like using TE...

This way is just easier for me...

That is also how I put most of my apps in the system/apps folder so they are a little faster running...
  10. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I tried to get the APK Tool up and running on my Computer and had problems with Environment Varaibles, there are some files within the framework-res.apk that are only accessible through the APK Tool, the framework/res/values/strings.xml to be specific

I am wanting to change the text behind the sliding unlock tabs. I started a thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/52733-change-text-behind-sliding-unlock-tabs.html and was informed that the files I am trying to locate are not accessible except via APK Tool so if someone could P.M. me with some detailed instructions on installing it, it would be appreciated

I already have some information but when adding the apk to the Environment Varaibles of my Computer I get Lost
  11. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

12. JoeeDB

JoeeDB Member

When I'm in my terminal & type sys -rw I get an error that says "sys: not found". What am I doing wrong?
  13. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

You could try changinng terminal commands sys -rw and sys -ro to sysrw and sysro

Also on the first page there is a way to replace framework-res.apk without using terminal and just setting permissions
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Great work tparker, directions worked perfectly, and you gave me a little confidence to do some hex editing now, thanks
  15. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

you probably just dont have a script for sysro and sysrw, all those are are aliases to longer commands:

sysro:
    Code:
     [B]mount -o ro,remount -t  yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system[/B]

sysrw:
    Code:
     [B]mount -o rw,remount -t  yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

[/B]
  16. coltzfan

coltzfan New Member

So I gave this a whirl with SS 4.5 and got endless bootloops. I could not get it to sync with TE, so I did it thru Root Explorer, but think I forgot to set permissions. Would that have caused the bootloop?? I had nandroid backup so will try and set permissions prior to reboot.
  17. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

You definately need to set permissions before a reboot, it is broken down on the first page of the thread
  18. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Try pulling your existing framework-res.apk,use 7zip to open the archive of the apk, alter the eri.xml on your pc, put the eri.xml back into the framework-res.apk and adb push it back to the phone.

Worked flawless for me
  19. coltzfan

coltzfan New Member

yeah it worked!!! once I set the permissions, I rebooted, and the Simply Stunning was changed..... although I have to edit again cuz now I have 10 ............ after my edit. LOL. First time I ever did this so I am happy with my first attempt. my momma always told me to read ALL the instructions before doing something.
  20. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

quick question.. say my banner is only 12 characters. is it better to put 4 spaces at the end or just 4 "."
Search tags for this page
android eri
android eri.xml
android eri.xml location

edit eri.xml

eri android
eri version galaxy s3
eri version not available
eri xml hex edit
eri xml location

eri.xml

eri.xml edit