how to edit new "listen to" voice action feature?

searayman

Reaction score
With the new voice action feature i have been sucesfully able to send texts and emails but when ever i try the listen to "artist" feature it opens up slacker.....how can i make it play the music on the default music player i have with the music on my sd card?

odoyle81

Reaction score
Yes i'd like to figure this out too. The OP is asking how to modify the default player. Telling us that such and such player "works for you" isn't really answering the question.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing, taking me to Slacker (I don't have Pandora.)

Reaction score
You can't change this, there's a list of 5 approved apps. If you have more than one it asks you, only one it defaults. Rhapsody for example, which has an unlimited catalog, is not on the list.

Not having the internal player is dumb but would require indexing the names I guess. Not sure ?

Sal

Reaction score
You can't change this, there's a list of 5 approved apps. If you have more than one it asks you, only one it defaults. Rhapsody for example, which has an unlimited catalog, is not on the list.

Not having the internal player is dumb but would require indexing the names I guess. Not sure ?

Does anyone know what the other apps are? I know slacker and pandora are two of them.

And what if the artist mentioned isn't on one of your "channels"?

ericcsong

Reaction score
Yes i'd like to figure this out too. The OP is asking how to modify the default player. Telling us that such and such player "works for you" isn't really answering the question.

OP posted "how can i make it play the music on the default music player i have with the music on my sd card?"

I guess my music on my computer is on my sd card. so when I use the voice feature with mspot, it pulls the song I say instantly. with pandora or other players, it doesn't play the song that was said. thought it would help!

Last edited:
OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
The odd thing is I am pretty sure slacker isnt installed on my device lol, But I totally want the default player to work!

Reaction score
The other apps are listed on the page that is linked when you first use the feature.

It's

Last.fm
mSpot
Pandora
RDIO
Spotify

HamDog

Reaction score
The other apps are listed on the page that is linked when you first use the feature.

It's

Last.fm
mSpot
Pandora
RDIO
Spotify

I have the exact same question as the OP. I do remember seeing the options list as you posted, but your list lacks Slacker. Whenever I search for music, Slacker opens. Is it possible to change it to any of the other ones on your list? I do have both Pandora and Slacker installed.

Reaction score
Interesting, that list came straight from the video but maybe that guy didn't have Slacker installed.

There may be a way of clearing data or defaults from the Voice Search app but the easiest way is probably to uninstall the update then install it again. It should ask you the first time you use it. However maybe Slacker (which I do not have installed) is taking over somehow.

odoyle81

Reaction score
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling voice search and it never gives you a choice - it just defaults to slacker..

If you try uninstalling slacker, it says:

"In order to use this feature download a music application which supports this action from the android market"

Dumb.

EDIT: ok, so I updated pandora - that was the problem! voice search wasn't recognizing pandora as a valid app, but now it does. Next I reinstalled slacker, and now it gives me a choice & I can default to one or the other!

Last edited:

peterpressure

Reaction score
Ok, I found the answer on google.com

Voice "listen" doesnt search music stored on my phone? - Google Mobile Help

Zinn Google Employee
8/13/10

Basically, an update for the music app is necessary in order for the 'listen to' voice action to work. We didn't want to delay the release of all the voice actions just to wait for an update for the music app. So knowing that there are additional music apps out there, we decided to offer the 'listen to' voice action to be used with those apps. An update for the Android music app will be coming some time in the future.

Sorry for the confusion, but in the meantime if you'd like to use the 'listen to' command, using the apps listed in this article is the way to go.
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=186172

-Zinn

So wait for an updated music.apk app for now!

HamDog

Reaction score
I've been testing the new Google Search for playing music and here's what I've figured out so far (and some of these have already been posted in this thread). Look at this as a big recap:

Google Search can search for music through a few different apps, such as Slacker, Pandora, LastFm, etc. You have to pre-install these on your phone. It does NOT search from your music files stored on your phone.

When you do your first music search, you get to select from a list of installed apps to search for the music (Slacker, Pandora, LastFM, etc.). If you click on the "Make this Default" box, then it will always use that source for whenever you do a music search. If you don't check that box, then it will ask you each time.

For example, you say "Listen to Led Zeppelin". You specify that you want it to search "Slacker" and check the "make this default" box. From now on, everytime you search for music using Google Search, it will automatically open Slacker.

If later you change your mind don't want Slacker to be your default, you have to go to Settings-->Applications-->Manage Applications-->Slacker and then find the "Launch by Default" button and click "Don't launch by default". Then when you use Google Search for another song, you will get the menu to pick an app.

I wish this could also search from my own music stored on the phone. Maybe this will be added sometime later. For now, you can use a 3rd party app that's capable of searching for music stored on your phone, such as "Choice Dialer" (which costs $4).

mSpot is an app that can stream music from your home computer to your phone. When it streams, it also stores it on your phone. Google Search is currently able to search your music files through mSpot. I don't like mSpot as I transfer all my music files to my phone anyways. But that's just me, some people like this.