[How To] Easily install Bugless Beast using only SPRecovery, Terminal Emulator, & zip

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The new 2.1 version is up, here...

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH YOUR PROBLEMS. Post in the thread. PM'ing me is not going to get your questions resolved faster, just clutter up my inbox...and if you post in the thread, other people will be able to see how we solved your problem.

In this guide I will attempt to educate (for those people not familiar with rooting/hacking/installing ROMs) and get you to where you want to be all at once. This guide is a fluid document so any and all comments are appreciated. You can always hold in your control button and scroll your mouse wheel up to make the text bigger if need be. You can follow the guide as such:

-
    Comments in Red are warnings or very important information.
    - Comments in Purple are education
    - Comments in Blue denote the start of a new section

In this guide we will be covering the following topics in order:

1. Rooting your Droid.
    2. Flashing and installing SPRecovery.
    3. Backing up your Droid using Nandroid.
    4. Installing Bugless Beast.
    5. Overclocking. (optional)
    6. Monitoring Temps. (optional)
    7. Installing WiFi tethering. (optional)
    8. Fixing map updates. (if needed)
    9. Patching the stock theme if so desired. (optional)
    10. Fixing an issue with Facebook (if needed)

So first I'd like to makes sure that I point out a thread that I want you to read BEFORE you continue. That's right...I know you're excited to root and install BB, but I want you to stop and read this thread. It will help you with 99% of mistakes that people make during this process. Remember that research before jumping into something is always prudent.

The thing to understand is that it is VERY hard to help troubleshoot "odd" problems (usually user error) over the internet because there are a lot of steps here where you can say "I typed this exactly to the tee" but perhaps you were typing with a space where there isn't one or something, and I have no choice but to take your word for it...so PLEASE read the before thread, this thread, and ask any questions BEFORE starting. I know it is something that once you make the decision to do it and discover this guide, you want to just jump out and get it running, but that can lead to careless mistakes. Just take a deep breath, take your time, and read all of these threads top to bottom and it will eliminate 99.99% of your problems.

*** IMPORTANT: Read this thread before you attempt to continue. ***

The first 30 or so steps I am stealing from this thread (some of which are slightly to heavily modified), with credit given to cplus. So this is me giving credit where credit is due. But you don't need that thread to install Bugless Beast anymore, because I'm going to show you all right here. So don't navigate to that topic and get all confused.

The current version of Bugless Beast is v1.1 dated 2/22/2010. I will update this thread every time Pete from AllDroid releases a new version. Changes from the previous version can always be found here, in his official thread.

If you like this guide, and you like the ROM please donate to Pete (these donations do NOT come to me, they go to the developer of the ROM), he makes these things for us and we use the hell out of them:

And so we begin.

If you have any problems, PLEASE refer to the exact step where you began having problems and EXACTLY what you have done so we can help you.

If you ever need to get back to stock COMPLETELY, go here.

-------------------------------

*** Note *** If you are already rooted and simply want to install this ROM, skip to step 9. If you are installing OVER a previous version of Bugless Beast, skip to step 34. If you have no clue what I am talking about, start from step 1. This will also not work if you have a 2.1 ROM of some sort installed. Pete's Bugless Beast is NOT a 2.1 ROM, so if you have a previous version of this, you are fine to continue. It has some elements from 2.1, but it is not an actual 2.1 ROM. THIS LAST STATEMENT DOES NOT APPLY TO 2.1 APPS ONLY SUCH AS GALLERY, ETC...ONLY 2.1 FULL REPLACEMENT ROMS! If you only have 2.1 apps this installation method will work.

Another note: If you go to download any of the files and get a bunch of BS characters, just simply right click, save as. Don't just click.

First thing we will do, is root the Droid.

If you are coming from Sholes ROM, or if you are having problems right now as it stands (locking, rebooting, etc), I would HIGHLY suggest wiping your phone completely to stock before you begin so it's easier to tell where your problems are coming from. If you have no idea what I'm talking about or you aren't having problems just go on.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH A LOW BATTERY. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE.

1. Download the file update.zip from here.
    This file should be ABOUT 10.6MB, if it's something super small like 240kb you need to redownload the file. Make sure the file is named update.zip by right clicking the file in Windows Explorer, and choosing properties. The top empty box it will say update.zip. If it says update.zip.zip you will not be able to root your Droid - it will say "file not found" or something to that effect. This update.zip is for rooting your Droid. So make sure you use THIS particular link in this step for the first update.zip (you will see later that the actual ROM is also called update.zip as well) or it won't work. Very important.

2. Plug your phone into the computer using the USB cable. From the notification menu at the top of the phone, slide that down and click the "USB Connected" button. Choose "Mount." Copy 'update.zip' from your computer to the root of your phone's sdcard. The root of your sdcard means the base, like C:\. If you are unsure of what root means, PLEASE go back to the "Please read before you try to root" thread that I linked above. This is VERY important!!! Disconnect the phone from the computer.

3. Turn off phone.

4. While the phone is off, slide open the keyboard.

5. Hold down 'x' and then begin to hold down the power button at the same time. When the screen lights up, you can let go of the buttons. You will now be booted to a screen with an exclamation point in the middle.. Sort of like this /!\. This is the STOCK recovery menu.

6. Press the 'volume +' and 'camera' buttons together until you see the screen change to a menu.

7. Choose the option to 'run update.zip.' Wait for finish... This update gives you super user or 'root' access to the phones internal drive and filesystem. If you stopped here, you would simply have a 'rooted' phone.

8. Reboot phone. When it boots back up, check to see if you have a ninja icon that says "Superuser Permissions" in your app drawer. If you do not have this, DO NOT CONTINUE UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS ICON, it will be pointless to continue if you don't have this.Superuser Permissions is sort of like having Administrator access on your home computer. Without it, there are many things you can't do.

Next thing we will do is flash the phone and install SPRecovery.

9. Go to Android Market and install 'Android Terminal Emulator.' It's free. Not Terminal Emulator, not Better Terminal Emulator. Android Terminal Emulator. It's by Jack Palevich. The program will show up as simply "Terminal Emulator" once you install it.

10. Download the file flash_image from here.
    This file should NOT have a file extension!!! Make sure it does not have a file extension of ANY TYPE!!! If you or your computer have added a file extension (some users have reported that their computer added a .txt at the end of the file) it will not work! If you go to download this file and Vista puts a .txt extension on it, simply remove the file extension. Again, you can double check to see what, if any, file extension it has by right clicking the file and choosing properties.

11. Copy 'flash_image' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Again, if you don't know what the root of your SD card is, please go back to the beginning of this thread.

12. Download the newest version of SPRecovery from Sholes.info here, and copy it to the root of your SD card. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable.

13. Open 'Android Terminal Emulator.' (In the launcher, you will see it is simply called 'Terminal Emulator'.) You will now see a blue screen with command prompt. For those of you only familiar with Windows-based machines, this is very similar to a command or DOS prompt, where you have to manually type in commands instead of clicking on a pretty icon to do all your dirty work.

14. Slide open the keyboard and type 'su' then press 'enter'. You will be prompted to press 'Allow'. Press 'Allow' (and don't forget to check the remember check box). This grants you Superuser Permissions while in Terminal Emulator, or the equivalent as right click > run as administrator in Windows.Your command prompt should change from $ to # to let you know it worked. If it didn't, stop right now because something did not install properly.

15. Type 'mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system' without the quotes. This will make the phone's internal drive writable so that we can copy files to it from the sdcard in the next step. For everything you type in Terminal Emulator you need to make sure you copy EVERYTHING exactly as you see it. Also, remember to hit ENTER at the end of each line. Enter is located RIGHT BELOW the delete key, it is NOT the gold button in the center of the directional pad. It should also be noted that the 'o' is a lower case "oh" NOT a zero. Don't forget the space between 'mtdblock4' and '/system' or you will get an error!!!

16. Type 'dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/system/bin/flash_image' without the quotes. It will tell you how many bytes in/out. This copies the flash_image utility to the phones internal drive where we need it. That is all one line...

17. Type 'chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image'. This changes the permissions of flash_image so that we can use it.

18. Type 'sync'.

19. Type '/system/bin/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img'. It should be noted that this command is all on one line, not two separate commands. There should be a short pause as the custom recovery image is flashed and then the command prompt will appear again. At this point, the stock recovery screen has now been replaced by the one you will see in steps later on. This recovery image was written by SirPsycoS and is shared by him at sholes.info.

20. Type 'mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old'. This should prevent the custom recovery from being over-written on reboot. If this step doesn't work for you, skip it. I've haven't witnessed the problem that it is supposed to prevent. bernal125 skipped it without issue. For others, this step has worked without issue.

21. Type 'sync'.

22. Close 'Android Terminal Emulator.' Go the Market and hit menu > Downloads and update EVERY app that you have installed, ESPECIALLY Google Maps. By doing this, you ensure that you have all your programs updated before you make a backup. Additionally, I use MyBackupPro in ADDITION to using the backup method in the following steps. It's a paid app, but it also backs up system settings, etc.

23. Download virginoem-backup.zip . Going back on your computer, extract 'virginoem-backup.zip' so that have you have folder called 'virginoem-backup' with the contents resembling 'boot.img' 'cach.tar' 'data.tar' etc... this is a backup that will get you back to stock (stock as in, you just bought the phone, not as in where you are now) in the event that you need to.

24. Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'nandroid'. This folder stores all of your backups that you make so you can choose from them and restore using the recovery screen at a later date.

25. Copy the folder 'virginoem-backup' from your computer to the 'nandroid' folder you just created on your sdcard in step 24. Unplug the USB.

26. Power off the phone.

Now we will backup your phone's current state in the event that something goes wrong with the installation.

27. Hold 'x' and power button to boot into recovery as in step 5 above. You won't get the exclamation point this time. Rather you will be booted right into the recovery.

28. READ THE RED COLORED TEXT SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MENU.

29. Choose 'backup/restore'.

30. Choose 'Advanced Nandroid backup'.

31. Choose 'Set backup name'.

32. Type a descriptive name for your backup and press enter.
    For example, I always make mine something like: BuglessBeastOne, BuglessBeastTwo, etc.

33. Choose 'Perform backup'. The chances of you screwing something up without specifically trying to are pretty slim, but we are going to do this just to be sure. An image of your phone's current state will now be made. It will take a couple minutes. With this backup you can always revert back if you don't like the ROM. Keep in mind if you revert back to this image, you will still be rooted with sprecovery. Also keep in mind that you can redo steps 29-33 to do a complete back up of your phone ANY TIME you want.

Now you are rooted with SPRecovery, you are backed up with Nandroid, and you are ready to install Bugless Beast. When installing Bugless Beast, you will NOT lose your applications, contacts, shortcuts, etc by using the method I am about to show you...reboot the phone by hitting the power button one press at a time until you are back to the main recovery menu, then hit reboot system. When it loads into the operating system go ahead and plug in your USB and mount your SD card.

The moment you've been waiting for...Installing Bugless Beast...

34. Delete the previous update.zip file both from your computer and the root of your SD card to prevent confusion, if it is still there...if you don't feel like deleting the old version just overwrite the existing file but make sure this next file overwrites or replaces the old update.zip that we used to root your phone. Download the Bugless Beast ROM here.
    Note that it is the same file name as the update.zip that rooted your phone. Make sure, once again, that your file is named update.zip, not update.zip.zip (as before). This file should be ABOUT 70MB.

35. Just like in step 2, put the update.zip file on the root of your SD card then unplug the phone when you are done.

36. Power off the phone.

37. Reboot into SPRecovery by powering on the phone and holding in the X key on the hardware keyboard, just like you did before.

38. Choose install.

39. Choose allow update.zip installation. Don't forget this step. If you do, you will get "installation blocked" or something to that effect. This is the feature that prevent OTA updates from being able to be installed to your phone. In the future, if you want to accept a Google update for you phone you will need to download the file, then boot into this menu, and hit "allow update.zip installation" or it won't work.

40. Choose Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated). Deprecated is a software developer's term that means "something that should not be used or is dangerous to use and recommended against". Obviously we want to use this update.zip, so in this case, think of the term deprecated as a warning...as in "Are you sure you want to overwrite your current OS?" It's perfectly safe to complete this step, but many people do not know what this word means.

41. Hit the power button once, and then choose reboot.

42. Enjoy your new ROM. One thing I do if I have any issues at first is a) wait a few minutes to let it start up for the first time, and b) dial *228 and choose option 2 to have the phone reset roaming capabilities.

If you want to overclock your phone, continue...otherwise skip to step 46.

43. Pick one of the kernels from Pete's thread depending on what speed you want to overclock to, and download the file and rename it to update.zip if it isn't already.

OPTIONAL Kernels: (rename to update.zip and install using instructions below)
    Stock 550 MHz (Already Included, Does not support Wifi Tether)
    t3hSteve 600 MHz (recommended)
    AdamZ 1 GHz
    DroidMod's Latest 1.2 GHz (a.k.a. Sholes.info)
    ChevyNo1's 10 Slot 1.2 GHz
    ChevyNo1's 10 Slot 1.25 GHz

44. Follow steps 35 to 41 with your new update.zip

45. Download SetCPU from the Market. When this app asks you if you want to allow or deny just hit allow and check the box to remember that choice.

46. When it asks what device you are using, do NOT choose Droid, scroll all the way towards the bottom choose "auto detect". If for some reason you are STILL having issues, try unchecking all of the profiles and rechecking them, as well as moving the slider bar on the main SetCPU screen.

47. You can now overclock your droid to 1000mHz (1gHz) at all times, or you can set certain conditions by going to profiles > enable profiles and then setting the conditions and checkmarks for the various profiles you want to use. To see information on my CPU/battery temps test results, click here. If you are still having issues, go here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/22745-please-read-before-you-ask-about-setcpu.html . If you are concerned about your CPU, overclocking, and temperatures, go here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/20580-official-cpu-temp-results.html

Next we are going to show you how to monitor temps while overclocking. If you don't care about this, skip to step 49.

48. The software you need is called Temp Monitor, and it costs $1.99 on the Market. It's pretty simple to set up, so we didn't necessarily need a whole section for it...but what the heck, people ask constantly about it...so there you go.

If you want to WiFi tether, keep going, otherwise skip to step 54

49. If you want to WiFi tether, download the apk file from here. Put it somewhere on your SD Card. Personally I have a folder called APK on my SD Card so I know where they all are, but I'm OCD.

50. You can either download Astro File Manager (free, not a bad program) from the market or Root Explorer (paid app, much better).

51. Make sure under settings > applications you have "use unsigned applications" or whatever it says. Top box. It will give you a warning but just ignore it.

52. Navigate to the file you just downloaded and click it. Do not explore the file in Astro, but choose open and install. In Root Explorer just choose install.

53. My settings for WiFi tether are...turn on WiFi, uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

If you don't like the look of the Smoked Glass theme...keep going, otherwise, skip to step 60

Go here and download yet another update.zip.

56. Just like before you are going to either remove or overwrite the update.zip on the root of your SD Card with this one.

57. Follow steps 34 to 41. This file will give you the OEM theme instead of the Smoked Glass that comes with BB.

Now we are going to fix a problem IF you have the issue with the phone rebooting when going into Accounts & Sync

58. If your phone reboots when you go into Accounts and Sync in the settings menu, go to the Market and download Facebook for Android and that should solve the problem.

FINE PRINT: I am in no way, shape, or form responsible for what you do or do not do to your phone. This guide only serves as a conduit for you...so if you screw something up, or you fry your CPU, or you lose your data, or you brick your phone or take it to Verizon and they get pissed and deny warranty because you have rooted...I cannot be held responsible.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  2. JRogers1978

JRogers1978 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matt!! I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good, let me know how it goes.

4. dropnCosbys

dropnCosbys New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading about rooting all day for the first time. Rooted my Droid at school today, and probably gonna try this after Taco Wednesdays tonight.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

6. JRFogarty

JRFogarty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is just what I was looking for tonight to get to bb. Last night I used the guide to sholes from cplus. This was easy and took no more than 15 - 20 minutes starting at step 29. Thanks!:rockon:

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so glad it went off without a hitch!

8. irepodu

irepodu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everything went smoothly following all your steps until I got to step #40. I recieved an error:

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:update.zip install blocked
    Installation aborted.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong and how to fix it?

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You most likely skipped #39

10. irepodu

irepodu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. You're the man! I'm such a noob. This was by far the best thread IMO on how to install BB. Very complete. Exactly what I needed to get it done! Thanks.

11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Great,thanks! Pass it around, suggest it to others and whatnot :)

12. irepodu

irepodu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely!

13. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend stuck on the same step...he said he's getting an error about the .img file cannot be found in step 19 as well. Trying to figure both of your issues with this. If we can find the issue, can we post it here? I'd like to update to solve this problem...

14. ronimous

ronimous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well this has seemed to semi-bricked me. After installing the rom my phone reboots to the droid animation and runs it for several minutes until finally shutting down. Won't power back up until I do a battery pull. Looks like I'm going to try restoring a backup...:(

15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...try it again maybe. I have not had that problem, and clearly a couple of people in this thread have gotten it right away. So....did you get any errors during the process?

Search tags for this page
android terminal update.zip

bugless beast download

bugless beast not able install
droidforum easily install bugless
easy way to use terminal emulator to install wifi
how to setup better terminal emulator for free internet
install bugless beast over phone
installing bugless beast 6 on droid a855
sholes info 2010 sprecovery
sprecovery no computer