How to do an update?

Ansa82

Reaction score
Ok so I just got my new Bionic Friday...I was reading something where people were talking about an update?
I got the impression it was something coming in November ( or maybe later)..... So with this phone not coming with software how do you do an update anyways??? When I hooked it up to my laptop it just installed drivers and that was it

celtic11

Reaction score
Updates come over the air, or OTA, as you may see all over the forum. This essentially means that at some point your phone will display a glorious message that there is an update available. You download the update, reboot, and you're good to go.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Ansa82

Ansa82

Reaction score
Cool...that sounds so easy! So since my phone is brand new
im guessing there are no updates yet right? I think bionic
Came out in september?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now a couple of more things about the update, assuming it'll be like the ones I had for my OG Droid.

First of all, it's RANDOM. You'll see some posts saying "I got the update" and a LOT of people responding by saying "I didn't :mad:." When the first update came for the OG Droid, someone put up a link to a Google map where you could "stick a pin" on where and when you got the update. No rhyme or reason at all. Even people who bought two of the OG Droids the same day received an update for one weeks before their second phone did.

Second, and I don't know for sure with the Bionic, but sometimes someone gets the update, copies it and posts it here. IF it's the same with the OG Droid, you'd download it to your phone, rename it to "update.zip" and install it manually. I went to Froyo that way and it was a full install (what they had in the Verizon store in case the update didn't work), rather than the OTA version.

Last edited:
OP
Ansa82

Ansa82

Reaction score
I'm glad you told me that!! I will be sure to wait for OTA update
Thanks