How to display two same app in multi window?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I want display/open 2 same apps e.g. 2 Google maps (or 2 gallery images), so I can view 2 maps at the same time side by side on the screen in 2 multi window.

How to do that? Thanks

I am using Samsung S4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I don't think there's a way to run the same app in two separate windows with the stock software. I can't speak for what's possible with root.

An alternative would be to run two different apps that perform the same function. The gallery would be easiest since there are plenty of third party gallery apps out there that support multi-window (I use and highly recommend QuickPic). You'd be able to run the stock gallery in one window and QuickPic (or another gallery app) in a second. For maps, you could run Google Maps in the first window and Nokia Here in the second (I'm sure there are other map/GPS apps that support multi-window, but Nokia Here is the best alternative to Google Maps in my opinion). The maps won't always be 100% identical, but both are very accurate and would probably provide the comparison you need the vast majority of the time.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
bsweetness, actually the question in the other closed thread is different, as it does not involve multiple windows side by side, that question is just simply open 2 same apps and switch view, viewing one at a time. From your reply I guess that is not possible too.

That closed thread question is:
I need to open a same app twice, e.g. I want to open 2 maps (or 2 gallery images), so I can use the switch task button (long press home key) to quickly switch between 2 maps (or 2 images).

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
bsweetness, actually the question in the other closed thread is different, as it does not involve multiple windows side by side, that question is just simply open 2 same apps and switch view, viewing one at a time. From your reply I guess that is not possible too.

That closed thread question is:
I need to open a same app twice, e.g. I want to open 2 maps (or 2 gallery images), so I can use the switch task button (long press home key) to quickly switch between 2 maps (or 2 images).

My bad dfman. I'll re-open the thread then. But you're correct, there's no way to do that either.