How to display only Google account contacts in SMS recipents?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
When composing new message (SMS), I click the head and shoulder icon (beside Enter Recipient) to select contacts. The contacts list will display all contacts e.g. SIM card contacts, Google account contacts.

How can I display only Google account contacts?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good question. I never scroll through contacts. I didn't even realize that. I always just start typing the name or number in the text box & it brings up the relevant contacts.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Which SMS app are you using? Hangouts shows your Google contacts. I don't save contacts to my sim so all of them are synced to Google.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I use default Messaging. Samsung S4

No SMS app

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ah gotcha. I have it on my phone, but have never used it. It's Google Hangouts or Samsung Chaton for me.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
In the setting there should be check box for which contacts you want to use. If you check only Google contacts you should be good to go.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
In the setting there should be check box for which contacts you want to use. If you check only Google contacts you should be good to go.

Only inside [Contacts] app have that option. Inside [Messaging] app does not have that option.

In [Contacts] icon, I can set only Google contacts is displayed, by going to Contacts>Menu>Contacts To Display, select Google contacts.

In [Messaging] icon, when selecting contacts at the "Enter Recipient" box, all contacts are displayed. I want to see only Google contacts but don't know how to do it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think you're going to need a third party messaging app to do this, but I'm not sure which ones, if any offer the ability to sorry contacts in such a way.

Can you not just stay typing the person's name in the "To" box in the stock messaging app?

I guess it's personal preference, but like I said, I never soft through my list of contacts when sending texts. You can even select multiple people to create a group text by typing in the box.

I use Google hangouts like many others who've commented here.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Do you use Google hangouts to send SMS? Is it better than the default [Messaging] app?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Do you use Google hangouts to send SMS? Is it better than the default [Messaging] app?
Yes I do. I prefer it. It's really not a lot different from the default app, but it combines Google messaging & sms. I also like the look of it better.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use it while overseas to avoid text message charges while texting back to the States.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't have my S4 anymore. If I recall, you open the dialer and then the settings you should have contact selections.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Only inside [Contacts] app have that option. Inside [Messaging] app does not have that option.

In [Contacts] icon, I can set only Google contacts is displayed, by going to Contacts>Menu>Contacts To Display, select Google contacts.

In [Messaging] icon, when selecting contacts at the "Enter Recipient" box, all contacts are displayed. I want to see only Google contacts but don't know how to do it.

I don't have my S4 anymore. If I recall, you open the dialer and then the settings you should have contact selections.
Apparently that filter only works in the contacts app.

Sent from my Note 4