how to disable stock text messaging app?

mumfrey

Reaction score
i'm using handcent as my txt msg app but the stock app is also still active so i get my msgs 2x, once with each. how can i disable the stock app?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Brian1

Reaction score
open the stock text messaging app and goto the settings and disable the notifications for that app. Brian

OP
mumfrey

mumfrey

Reaction score
ok, thx. did that and it seems to have resolved the text icon from showing up in top status bar but the widget still comes on. any idea how to get rid of that?

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
I don't think you can disable the stock app. But it seems that you are worried that you are receiving the same message twice and worried that it's taking space right? If this is the case, you're ok. Because It only saves one message but will shows up in both applications. Like sharing. :)

MrWilliams

Reaction score
ok, thx. did that and it seems to have resolved the text icon from showing up in top status bar but the widget still comes on. any idea how to get rid of that?

That would be from Handcent. Open handcent-menu-settings-notification settings-notification settings-uncheck Notifications.

Or are you asking about the popup setting? Same as above, but uncheck Enable popup.

Terri M

Reaction score

Are you rooted? If so, you can always freeze the stock messaging app with TB. Another way would be to use Root Explorer. The file is in the /system/app folder and is called Conversations.apk and Conversations.ode. DO NOT delete the file. Just rename it to Conversations.apk.bak and Conversations.odex.bak

wildbill86

Reaction score
I tried freezing my stock txt app, and mms won't come through without it.

Sent from my rooted D2G

OP
mumfrey

mumfrey

Reaction score
thx to all for the help. it was actually as simple as unchecking the enable popups piece under handcent.