How to disable "double tap to turn on"?

MikeS1971

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I noticed recently that the phone is turning on while in my pocket. Mostly when I'm out walking wearing shorts with thin pockets. But occasionally while wearing jeans as well.

It's killing the battery life, selecting apps, making calls, sending jibberish texts, changing music tracks and stopping my exercise tracking app.

I guess butt dialing has been replaced with thigh dialing.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't you also have a lock screen? I would think that would at least keep it from doing all that other stuff even if it woke up.

OP
M

MikeS1971

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I have it set to swipe to unlock. The movement of the phone is enough to swipe it to unlock. I really don't want to use anything more involved than that while I'm exercising. I just want to hit the power button, swipe it, see my stats, hit the power button and put it back in my pocket without breaking my stride.

Since the phone has a physical power button on the back, the whole tap to turn it on and off is pretty useless anyway. I guess it's a cool gimmick the first few days, it now just annoying.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Knock knock is the only way I use it. I have issues with locating the power button without also ending up fiddling with volume. I need to tap it pretty deliberately to get it to work. Are you certain you didn't enable motion to wake?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought I remembered a setting that allowed you to shake to wake the phone, but looking just now, I can't find it. I may have been thinking about a/the camera setting. My S4 has something similar.

OP
M

MikeS1971

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I found a video on how to disable the double tap feature for the G3 and tried it on the G4 and it worked. My phone must of been doing this the whole time I've had it because went I went on my nightly 6 mile run, I came back with only a 8% loss in battery power while running my GPS tracking app and listening to music. I usually finish my run with a 50% to 60% loss. The screen must of been on in my pocket the majority of the time before.

Here is the video in case anyone is interested.