How to disable bloat

rdgxray

Reaction score
Verizon actually listened when people complained about bloatware and not being able to uninstall it. They started allowing some apps to be uninstalled like blockbuster. Let's golf and madden football are other examples of apps you are allowed to uninstall now. This will not affect your ability to install ics. When you install the ota it will not reinstall any bloat you have previously uninstalled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tracey4

Reaction score
Verizon actually listened when people complained about bloatware and not being able to uninstall it. They started allowing some apps to be uninstalled like blockbuster. Let's golf and madden football are other examples of apps you are allowed to uninstall now. This will not affect your ability to install ics. When you install the ota it will not reinstall any bloat you have previously uninstalled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh that is awesome! Thank you!

rotordroid

Reaction score
Are we able to freeze processes? Actual apps I have the gist of, but things like that zumo crap, I can't figure out how to freeze. I went to manage apps-but the disable option is greyed out, I'm sure a 1click root will be out soon either way :).

You can root with Matt's 1.7 Utility then use Titanium to freeze anything (apps and/or processes).

rc19unc

Reaction score
An easier way would be to root, purchase Rom Toolbox and break all the market links along with freezing the apps.

Last edited:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There are two apps which can't be frozen ... Google Play Books and Google Play Movies. I freeze them in Titanium Backup, but if I reboot the phone they defrost themselves. I disabled them through the manage apps in the phone with ICS. And interestingly enough, I read on another forum that if you try to watch a Google Movie on a rooted phone, you will get a message saying "This movie cannot be viewed because your device appears to be rooted" :icon_eek: Big Brother is watching. Damn the torpedoes ... full tether ahead! :p

djembeman

Reaction score
On Stock ICS I couldn't get Backup Assistant or Backup Assistant Plus to disable. Why do they think you need backup assistant when you have a Google account?

As for the original instructions, I don't know why you wouldn't just hit menu, manage apps, all apps and then click on the apps you want to disable from there.

gan777

Reaction score
There are two apps which can't be frozen ... Google Play Books and Google Play Movies. I freeze them in Titanium Backup, but if I reboot the phone they defrost themselves. I disabled them through the manage apps in the phone with ICS. And interestingly enough, I read on another forum that if you try to watch a Google Movie on a rooted phone, you will get a message saying "This movie cannot be viewed because your device appears to be rooted" :icon_eek: Big Brother is watching. Damn the torpedoes ... full tether ahead! :p

I noticed the same thing... when I disable the apps they are only disabled until I reboot the phone, then they pop up again... very irritating!

MAzing87

Reaction score
I'm so glad I came across this thread! Thanks OP. I needed to find a way to somehow get rid of or in this case disable these bloatware apps that I dont use. After disabling some, my phone seems to respond a bit quicker than what I was used to. Here's hoping that there aren't any issues from this.

vect97

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The list provided above helped a lot too. I finally got rid of SLACKER!!!!!!!