How to disable all apps besides messaging from connecting to mobile data

jameh

Reaction score
The stock settings don't allow this as far as I've explored. Is there a solution to this problem?

Reason for wanting this control is for limiting mobile data usage to mms, while restricting download or browser access to that network. (mms is covered by my plan, but in general mobile data is not).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JKZ

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly you want to turn off mobile data entirely and just be able to receive phone calls and text messages? If this is what you're trying to do just go into settings, data usage, and toggle off mobile data. For a shortcut, just download data enabler widget from the market, put it on your home screen, and you can toggle data on and off with one button press.

OP
J

jameh

Reaction score
What I'm really after is a way to restrict every app from using mobile data, except for the messaging app.

The use of the mobile data network in the messaging app is acceptable under the terms of my plan.

Your suggestion is essentially what I'm doing now; I turn on the data each time I want to send a picture message.

Where is the access to this network controlled? Is it easily modifiable/controllable to my purpose?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I believe there are apps that can do this. I just can't remember the names.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
J

jameh

Reaction score
This is exactly the sort of solution I need. Thank you very much :)

OP
J

jameh

Reaction score
DroidWall doesn't actually work on my phone, and I think in general on the I.C.S. Operating system (reviews of app with the same problem). I do have a rooted phone. If there are any other suggestions, please.