How to dial acces codes after call is started

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I have a GoToMeeting request in my Google Calendar. It contains the phone number to call and a 9-10-digit number to dial to access the specific meeting after the call is started. I can click on the phone number and the phone application opens and I can start the call but even though the meeting number looks like a phone number link, I can't figure out how to dial it without writing it down and doing it manually. Am I missing something?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you talking about dialing numbers while on a call? Press the number pad icon on the right side of the call menu :) Should bring up the keypad.
If this isn't what you're talking about, I apologize... I'm useless :)

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Are you talking about dialing numbers while on a call? Press the number pad icon on the right side of the call menu :) Should bring up the keypad.

That I can do. My problem is that I have both numbers in a document I can view on my phone but the only way to dial the second one seems to be to write it down then do what you suggest and enter it manually.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok.... as opposed to clicking on what appears to be a 'clickable' phone number link?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

That I can do. My problem is that I have both numbers in a document I can view on my phone but the only way to dial the second one seems to be to write it down then do what you suggest and enter it manually.

I suppose you could place a couple of pauses (#) in the number and see if that works. It really depends on how fast the phone picks it up.

I personally just memorize the 4 digit code I need when this happens. I have it in the contacts name as an additional number.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I personally just memorize the 4 digit code I need when this happens. I have it in the contacts name as an additional number.

A 4-digit code I wouldn't worry so much about. This one is 9

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok.... as opposed to clicking on what appears to be a 'clickable' phone number link?

That seems to start a second call and prompt me to merge them if I'd like; it doesn't dial that number in the active call.
Ok. I understand where you're coming from. You can try what hook mentioned... and add the numbers into the contact info after adding pauses (commas (,) each one is a 1 second pause). Other than that I think you've got to do it manually

so your phone will dial the first number... however long you need to wait to enter that 9 digit code, then the phone will enter those 9 digits automatically after the pause(s)

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Dont know if this will help or not... My calendar is imported from Lotus Notes to the GMAIL calendar.

Most conference call entries import as "xxx xxx-xxxx #xxxxxxx" for me. The entire string winds up being a tappable link. Unfortunately, when I tap it, it launches the MAPS app instead of the phone app.

What I have found that will work is to enter conference numbers on two lines in the calendar entry :

Dial in: xxx xxx-xxxx
Passcode xxxxxxx

When I do that, the numbers are still tappable, but are two separate numbers. That way, I can tap on the dial in number - Phone app opens up, and dials the number. Then I press HOME, then reopen the calendar app (which will still be open to the calendar entry in question), and tap on the passcode number. That gets sent to the phone app, and away you go. Its still a lot of keypresses, but better than trying to memorize a 7-9 digit passcode.

Hope that helps...

jc

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
What I have found that will work is to enter conference numbers on two lines in the calendar entry :

Passcode xxxxxxx

When I do that, the numbers are still tappable, but are two separate numbers. That way, I can tap on the dial in number - Phone app opens up, and dials the number. Then I press HOME, then reopen the calendar app (which will still be open to the calendar entry in question), and tap on the passcode number. That gets sent to the phone app, and away you go.

My calendar entry has:

Code:
Dial 217-287-4116
Access Code: 380-686-272

and both numbers are tappable but when I do what you describe, it tries to start a second call with the second number, not dial it in the current call. Maybe that's OK but it doesn't seem common. A work around would be if the calendar app let you press-and-hold a number to get a menu like

• Start a new call
  • Dial in current call
I can't quite figure out where to submit that as an enhancement request.

Last edited:

Milehighjc

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, I SWEAR that had worked for me before, but I verified your experience with my calendar (in fact the same calendar entry I used before).

Im not sure what is up, but sure enough, Im now getting it trying to start another call as well.

I agree with your approach - a press/hold would be a good implementation... Im also planning on trying to insert pauses or waits to see if I can make it dial all the way into the bridge at one touch. Just hard to find the time to play around with it.

jc

AndroCalDialer

Reaction score
A better way?

Dont know if this will help or not... My calendar is imported from Lotus Notes to the GMAIL calendar.

Most conference call entries import as "xxx xxx-xxxx #xxxxxxx" for me. The entire string winds up being a tappable link. Unfortunately, when I tap it, it launches the MAPS app instead of the phone app.

Passcode xxxxxxx

When I do that, the numbers are still tappable, but are two separate numbers. That way, I can tap on the dial in number - Phone app opens up, and dials the number. Then I press HOME, then reopen the calendar app (which will still be open to the calendar entry in question), and tap on the passcode number. That gets sent to the phone app, and away you go. Its still a lot of keypresses, but better than trying to memorize a 7-9 digit passcode.

Hope that helps...

jc

This functionality was less than optimal for us, so we wrote an app to handle it the way we thought it should work. If the dial-in number and passcode are in the meeting event location field, which is typically done by the meeting organizer, it's possible to use the Android Calendar Dialer to tap the location and launch the dialer rather than the Maps application. You can find it in the Market or scan the code at the product site:
https://sites.google.com/site/androidcalendardialer/

We welcome your suggestions for improvements. Thank you.