How to delete folders that are created by app when uninstalling app?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I notice that some apps automatically create folders when I install the apps. And when I uninstall the app, the folder is not deleted away. I need to go to My Files>All Files to delete the folder myself, and I do not always remember or know if there is any folder created and it causes leftover folders of the uninstalled app that are not needed.

Q1. When uninstalling an app, is there a way to hint me that there are folders that are created by the app so I know I can delete it.

Q2. Is there a way to know what folder is created by what app?

Q3. My Files>All Files folder has this folder "thritf_message.cache" and "wdh_update". What are they? I think I do not have them when I first bought the phone.

Thanks

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The best way to delete any app is to go into system settings, application manager, scroll to the app you're deleting, clear cache, clear data, force stop, then uninstall. This will remove any and all remnants of said app. Uninstalling an app through the Play Store leaves a bunch of garbage from said app on your device.

S5 tap'n

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
The best way to delete any app is to go into system settings, application manager, scroll to the app you're deleting, clear cache, clear data, force stop, then uninstall. This will remove any and all remnants of said app. Uninstalling an app through the Play Store leaves a bunch of garbage from said app on your device.

S5 tap'n

Is seems like clear cache, clear data does not delete the folder and files created by the app. For example voice recorder app.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I use ESFile Explorer and it prompts me with the choice to delete linked folders.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You can also install Clean Master. It can remove junk files.

That's odd. In this case I'd go with Wicked's suggestion. That should fix you up.

S5 tap'n

I went to the Play Store to check this app out.. Many reviews say that it is deleting important files like photos and such. A developer response was to use recovery programs to get the photos back.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I went to the Play Store to check this app out.. Many reviews say that it is deleting important files like photos and such. A developer response was to use recovery programs to get the photos back.
It gives you option to choose which files to delete. Those people probably checked all the boxes and deleted everything.

This app is good. When you uninstall an app, it will ask you if you want to delete residual files the app left behind.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I use ESFile Explorer and it prompts me with the choice to delete linked folders.

How do you use ESFile explorer?

When and how does ESFile explorer prompt you to delete linked folders?

Do you mean you use ESFile explorer to delete app?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, when I uninstall an app through the play store ES throws up a window giving me an option.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It gives you option to choose which files to delete. Those people probably checked all the boxes and deleted everything.

This app is good. When you uninstall an app, it will ask you if you want to delete residual files the app left behind.

When I see people having issues with apps I usually assume it is user error.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
No, when I uninstall an app through the play store ES throws up a window giving me an option.
Weird, I've been using ES Explorer for a while now but never get a popup like that when I uninstall an app through Play Store. I get popup from Clean Master though. Maybe it overrides ES?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I haven't experimented enough with it, but I think it only works with apps installed after ES was installed.

Not all apps leave things behind. Google addressed this in their last update (pre-lollipop). I don't think all devs have embraced it.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
If you system settings, application manager, scroll to the app you're deleting, clear cache, clear data, force stop, then uninstall, does ES File explorer popup the associated folders message?