How to delete "Default" email account on rooted Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cubano1027, Dec 27, 2010.

1. cubano1027

cubano1027 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I searched everywhere for days and couldn't figure out how to delete the original(aka "Default) email account WITHOUT doing a factory reset and loosing all my settings on a flashed Droid. I really didn't want to re-do everything for the internet and picture mail to work so I finally figured it out and thought that I would share with others.

(I don't know if this has already been posted, Ive searched and didn't find a thing. If this is already posted I do apologize and please delete)

All you have to do is use Root Explorer and go to /data/system/ and delete the file called "accounts.db". Reboot your phone after deletion and your golden.:icon_ banana:

**I would definitely recommend doing a NANDROID backup before, just in case you delete the wrong file accidentally.

2. onembk

onembk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That worked like a champ, thank you!!

Side note, I didn't delete the file, I renamed it to accounts.db.bak so I could just name it back if I had a problem instead of doing a restore. I also did a Nandroid backup. I didn't need either one.

I didn't have to re-install anything but I did have to setup all my accounts again, as expected.

3. doncol

doncol New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dang, I got to this thread about about 2 hours too late. Thanks for the info though.

4. DroidinatorX

DroidinatorX New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks! This was super helpful and saved me from having to pay (or figure out how) to have my phone flashed back to Metro and set up to have my email and internet and all the goodies that are the reason I wanted this phone working again!

BUT,

Since my Gmail was not the default account on the phone I couldn't download RootExplorer without linking my credit card to the old phone owners account...

Thought I'd add that with a little effort I found a copy of com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer2.3.apk on the internet... I downloaded ASTRO from the Android Marketplace for free and used it to install the rootexplorer I found... that's how I got around not being able to use my Google account to purchase RootExplorer... I thought I'd share that in case anyone else is encountering that problem.

Search tags for this page
account.db

account.db android

accounts.db

android account.db

android delete default account
delete account.db android

delete accounts.db android

how to delete default email account on android
how to remove default account from android

remove default account android