How to create Icons?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by ilikemoneygreen, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +15
  2. lee__D

lee__D Member

Ratings:
    +0
    u could PROBABLY copy some icons onto your pc and edit them with photoshop....or get them on photoshop and find out the size and download images from the web, resize, and edit. then u can set them on ur phone w/ with better cut.

3. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, lol, I should clarify. I am a nerd, I know of photoshop and its abilitys. Thank you for your total guess but i want to know if their is a program that creates the icons.... Photohop is good, but i dont think thats what the rom creater used....

4. BuglessFan

BuglessFan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    90% of all icons are actually created in PhotoShop or GIMP or similar graphics programs. No, there's no magic icon maker, just good use of standard graphics tools. You might check out the theming forum here, or XDA, or some of the mac sites. Actually a good way to get going is with general PC/Mac icon sets and some of the collections on Deviant Art. Find an artists whose style you like, and often they're willing to exchange an email or two on the tools they use and what they recommend. I've made a dozen or so for myself based around Tenuis, using the blank tile from the Mac Forums to colorize and use as the base of my own icons to have them fit in with the Tenuis icons I use as a base. Personally, the 64-bit version of GIMP is what I use, and 64x64 PNGs give me the best results (with a little transparency around the edges to ensure good spacing).

5. shakesbrice22

shakesbrice22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great info, but how do you actually get the image off the phone app that you want to tweak. I understand that you need the PNG file which is in the apk file but how to you (step by step) get the apk off your phone onto your computer and open it up to be able to select the PNG file itself for editing?

6. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    this is actually much simpler than you think. there are multiple ways to get the file off your phone, here is just one way.

1)locate the app you want on your phone. this is usually in the /system/app directory or /data/app directoryand is easy to find using root explorer or a similar app.

2)copy the apk file to the /sdcard directory. using root explorer, just long press the apk file and select copy, then go to the sdcard directory and paste

3)then connect your phone to cpu through usb, mount phone to load sdcard, copy apk file to your comp

4)rename .apk file to .zip (ex: pandora.apk would be renamed to pandora.zip)

5)open with winrar/winzip/7zip, etc. 7zip is recommended but not necessary.

6)extract the res directory from the zip file

7)find the image you want to edit in the res directory, all the images are in there

7. DrSnuggles8675

DrSnuggles8675 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that all that's needed, like just change the .png and rezip it and install it again? I just want to know if you have to sign them or anything, what would be really cool is if someone could create/point us into the direction of a way to edit the icons using APKModderdancedroid

8. BuglessFan

BuglessFan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't speak for icons in the .apk's, but for creating icons to use with Folder Organizer or AnyCut or BetterCut all you have to do is put the .png on your SD card and pick it from the gallery. Others, I'm sure would be able to tell you ways to use metamorph or an update.zip to change them in the framework or the .apk's.

Some icon sets have a blank template that you can shift the color on before adding the main image (like for Tenuis there's an iBlank.png), or you can make your own template with the gradient/border you want. Just open it up, adjust the color balance, add a new layer with your specific image, adjust, flatten it all and export to .png. At least that's what I've done with icons for my desktop. I use Folder Organizer items/labels for the icons. It doesn't change them in the tray this way, but the changes last through app upgrades and the desktop and folders is where I want 'em to look just right anyway.

9. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    ive extracted and replaced icons in the res folder several times....all goes good, then i place the res folder back into the .zip where it was extracted from, rename back to .apk and copy to sd card , and it prompts me with the install screen, i click install and it shows the progress bar, then says application not installed.....shucks....any help?

10. mojo_droid

Ratings:
    +0
    is it a system app?

11. JayR_

Ratings:
    +4
    it was a free market download, i tried several of them, and no luck, one was a camera, one was some kind of web sharing and a few others

12. mojo_droid

Ratings:
    +0
    then you have to resign the apk file

13. JayR_

Ratings:
    +4
    just checked back at this post, and yes you are very correct and thank you....i have researched over at xda about resigning apks, and i just cant seem to put two and two together...anyway if some one could put together a step by step with all the software names needed to do this i will be very greatful..thanks in advance

14. DEdwards22

DEdwards22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't even find the app that I want to change the icon of. I'm trying to get to a Market app, where would it be?

15. mojo_droid

Ratings:
    +0

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...rs-toolbox-tools-resources-making-themes.html

@dedwards, did you look in /data/app directory?

Search tags for this page

create droid icons

create icon on razr 4

droid htc how to make icon

how can i create icons on my droid
how do i make icons for my phone
how to create a droid icon
how to create home icons on droid mini
how to make a app icon for mobile website on droid 4
how to make a zip for bettercut
how to make icons to use on the phone