How to correctly unroot the Incredible

cuddles11a

Reaction score
ok i downloaded that file to turn s-on it didnt work any ideas why??? i put it on my sd card booted into recovery and applied but it said installation aborted

cuddles11a

Reaction score
the file to turn s-on is supposed to be re-named that? i thought that was the 2nd part

cuddles11a

Reaction score
its ok i tried flashing it through recovery and it aborts it i dunno whats going on with this phone.

gobluejd

Reaction score
Quick question(s):

Can I follow the first post, un-root, get the OTA update, then re-root?

The 3rd post confuses me:
"For anyone else who wishes to know, if you want to root again later you can leave your device s-off. This method is for completely back to stock.

To leave it s-off just flash the PB31IMG."

Would I have just flashed PB31IMG? After following these steps, I will be S-ON.

To clarify.

I want to get the most current update, and have a STOCK ROM. I have tried everything else, but still get the update nag every few days.

So I am guessing, I can unroot, get OTA, then re-root?

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Quick question(s):

Can I follow the first post, un-root, get the OTA update, then re-root?

The 3rd post confuses me:
"For anyone else who wishes to know, if you want to root again later you can leave your device s-off. This method is for completely back to stock.

To leave it s-off just flash the PB31IMG."

Would I have just flashed PB31IMG? After following these steps, I will be S-ON.

To clarify.

I want to get the most current update, and have a STOCK ROM. I have tried everything else, but still get the update nag every few days.

So I am guessing, I can unroot, get OTA, then re-root?

The quick answer to your questions is yes, you can do that. Although, flashing on another ROM would be a better direction IMO. ROMs such as Virtuous or Redemption are similar to stock with the the OTA baked in. They incorporated useful features of the OTA with the bloatware removed.

Regarding the 3rd post... these instructions will take you back to stock ROM with S-on. If you want S-off again, you would need to flash the PB31IMG file again.

Arpeggiate

Reaction score
Got the s-on, still got the same problem - please help!

Doug, I got my s-on my rooted DINC just as you said - you're the man!

Now, I hate to say that your unroot system doesn't work, as I haven't seen anyone else report that. But I did check the HBOOT dialogue for s-on, and I also made sure that the file PB31INC.zip was installed in the root of my SD card, and that the name is precise (all caps). The screen is AMOL...(not the new one), and I checked that the radio version is RADIO-2.15.00.07.28. What happens is that, despite all of the above, HBOOT runs a check on PB31INC.zip, and then I get the same message as I got before I caught on to the need for s-on: "Main Version is older! Upgrade Fail".

I need to return this DINC to Verizon, as it has been replaced because of chronic screen problems, so please help me with this if you can!

Thank you for your efforts this far!

Oh, by the way, I already deactivated the damned thing - hope that wasn't too bad a mistake!

Last edited:
OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Now, I hate to say that your unroot system doesn't work, as I haven't seen anyone else report that. But I did check the HBOOT dialogue for s-on, and I also made sure that the file PB31INC.zip was installed in the root of my SD card, and that the name is precise (all caps). The screen is AMOL...(not the new one), and I checked that the radio version is RADIO-2.15.00.07.28. What happens is that, despite all of the above, HBOOT runs a check on PB31INC.zip, and then I get the same message as I got before I caught on to the need for s-on: "Main Version is older! Upgrade Fail".

I need to return this DINC to Verizon, as it has been replaced because of chronic screen problems, so please help me with this if you can!

Oh, by the way, I already deactivated the damned thing - hope that wasn't too bad a mistake!
Try renaming the zip to PB31IMG not PNC

Arpeggiate

Reaction score

Oops, that was a typo on my post. But I checked just now, and the name of that file in my SD root is PB31IMG.zip (wouldn't the error have been a different one anyway). I believe I did follow your directions, but the problem of a phone which I need to unroot has not gone away. Are you sure there couldn't be something else which may be missing, or new weird Verizon tactics to get around (it's not a new phone, but if it talks to the present network during this process...)? I hate to lean on you like this, but I recently got laid off from my job after almost two decades, so I really can't afford to pay the Verizon warrantee police.

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Oops, that was a typo on my post. But I checked just now, and the name of that file in my SD root is PB31IMG.zip (wouldn't the error have been a different one anyway). I believe I did follow your direction, but the problem of a phone which I need to unroot has not gone away. Are you sure there couldn't be something else which could be missing, or new weird Verizon tactics to get around (it's not a new phone, but if it talks to the present network during this process...)? I hate to lean on you like this, but I recently got laid off from my job after almost two decades, so I really can't afford to pay the Verizon warrantee police.

This tutorial has been used by many people on this forum and the Incredible Forum (and who knows where else) and everyone was able to get back to stock.

Rename the file to PB31IMG without the .zip and try again. Be sure you are following these steps letter by letter.

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oops, that was a typo on my post. But I checked just now, and the name of that file in my SD root is PB31IMG.zip (wouldn't the error have been a different one anyway). I believe I did follow your directions, but the problem of a phone which I need to unroot has not gone away. Are you sure there couldn't be something else which may be missing, or new weird Verizon tactics to get around (it's not a new phone, but if it talks to the present network during this process...)? I hate to lean on you like this, but I recently got laid off from my job after almost two decades, so I really can't afford to pay the Verizon warrantee police.

Hey no worries meng. The only way you could be getting a software to old error is if you have some super secret rom that I don't know exists or your using and older build. Well could also just be a fluke as well.

Try this file. If you get the same error try a factory reset, then try again.

If you still get the same issue I hope you have a windows PC.

Arpeggiate

Reaction score
The file which is on my SD card is named PB31IMG.zip, and hasn't been renamed since it failed to get past the HBOOT on my HTC Incredible last night. It shipped in July this year with the same screen which they all had then (horrible in sunlight), and the radio which I listed is a lower number than the one you listed at issue. I did check the my SD card format through the Properties window of my Linux system, Since the ancient DOS systems were, unlike Windows, formatted in FAT32, I think when it reports "MS-DOS" that it means the same. When I rooted my phone, I recall the need to enable USB debugging, and I know this is a different process, but if this matters it was enabled before I shut my phone down. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my card, and I've tried different copies of the same file from different sources. In fact, I got as far as getting my "s-on" by running the file "unrevoked-forever-son.zip" from that card, but this is a tangent - there weren't any card-read errors, the file which I tried to load was screened out by HBOOT while I had s-on, and I need to know why I seem to be the only one who's seen such a problem.

Uh, if the "unrevoked-forever-son.zip" file stays in the root when "PB31IMG.zip" is running, can that cause a problem? At no point did I see the s-on status change.

Can the fact that I have already reset my phone be tied to the trouble I'm having?

Last edited by a moderator: