How to correctly unroot the Incredible

bakdpotato

Reaction score
Hey Wooddale... Sorry, I'm sure you're right but I'm not sure which post you're talking about... I tried to put the 'unrevoked-forever-son.zip' on my FAT32 SD card and 'apply:update.zip' from recovery, which didn't work. I unzipped the file, tried it, renamed it to 'update.zip', tried it, and even tried 'update' as a folder... All failed. I assume this isn't the right option.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey Wooddale... Sorry, I'm sure you're right but I'm not sure which post you're talking about... I tried to put the 'unrevoked-forever-son.zip' on my FAT32 SD card and 'apply:update.zip' from recovery, which didn't work. I unzipped the file, tried it, renamed it to 'update.zip', tried it, and even tried 'update' as a folder... All failed. I assume this isn't the right option.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help

What exactly are you trying to do? Once I know I'm certain we can help you out.

bakdpotato

Reaction score
My goal reset the phone as if it was never rooted, and get back to 2.2, preferably OTA. I have no idea if OTA makes a difference, but I'm elegible for an upgrade in Jan, so I want to keep my options open.

I think my problem stems from me following a different thread and using HBoot to install the PB31IMG. The PB31IMG worked, and now I'm at 2.1-update1.
I assumed that with PB31IMG I could just update to froyo and then I'd be done with it all, but apparently its not that simple.
I've tried to do the 'unrevoked-forever-son' recovery flash, yet it always fails...

And, my software number is 1.22.605.0, just fyi

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Simple fix. Just redo the PB31IMG with the correct version. Delete the old one off of your sd card. Then download and rename this. Then run through hboot again.

savi0r

Reaction score
I just wanted to make an account to say thanks doug! I had the problem of following the old way to unroot and was stuck with a black screen. Now I can hopefully get an exchange on this phone because of a strange issue. Thanks again

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just wanted to make an account to say thanks doug! I had the problem of following the old way to unroot and was stuck with a black screen. Now I can hopefully get an exchange on this phone because of a strange issue. Thanks again

Are you still having the black screen? If was because you downgraded it is easily fixable. Let me know.

savi0r

Reaction score
no, the phone is booting correctly now. but the phone will randomly wake up when the phone is locked and sometime spazzes out and will keep waking up after i lock, so hopefully i can get this phone exchanged.

miclpants

Reaction score
Doug help please! ha, i felt confident with everything in the procedure so i tried to go ahead and unroot, but when i tried to format the SD to FAT32, something went wrong, and it now says damaged sd card whenever i turn the phone on.

and when i try to flash the zip file from the first step, it wont let me because of the damaged SD...
is there any way to redeem this... i'd like to get everything back to normal. unrooted and everything.

sorry if such a big problem is annoying, but any help is appreciated.
thanks

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doug help please! ha, i felt confident with everything in the procedure so i tried to go ahead and unroot, but when i tried to format the SD to FAT32, something went wrong, and it now says damaged sd card whenever i turn the phone on.

and when i try to flash the zip file from the first step, it wont let me because of the damaged SD...
is there any way to redeem this... i'd like to get everything back to normal. unrooted and everything.

sorry if such a big problem is annoying, but any help is appreciated.
thanks

Could try and reformat the card. Worse come to worse, could just get another SD card and format it.

miclpants

Reaction score
Could you tell me how to reformat my card? Last time i worked with the SD card, i obviously didnt know what i was doing ha...
I have a Mac BTW..

miclpants

Reaction score
Uhh ok i formatted through the phone, like settings >sd card> format blah blah.

and i rebooted the phone, and im stuck on the HTC incredible screen. the white screen.

wtf.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you should take a quick trip to Radio Shack, Staples, Target, etc. and pick up a new SD card. They can fail at any time and it sounds like that's what happened with yours. A 2 GB card can be bought for less than $10 if you're looking to minimize expense.

miclpants

Reaction score
Even if ive tried clearing storage and everything? Still stuck at HTC screen.. hmm.