How to correctly unroot the Incredible

alexuk2008

Reaction score
Ok, i placed the file build-3.26.605.1-release-152016-baseband-2.15.00.07.28-hboot-0.92.0000_PB31IMG on my sd card and booted into 'hboot', go into 'recovery' then select 'install zip from sd card', then select 'choose zip from sdcard'. Then I select the file, and scroll down to the option 'yes, install *zip file name*.
And it goes through and gives this message:
Installing:sdcard/build-3.26.605.1-release-152016-baseband-2.15.00.07.28-hboot-0.92.0000_PB31IMG.zip
Finding update package.
Opening update package.
E: cannot open /sdcard/build-3.26.605.1-release-152016-baseband-2.15.00.07.28-hboot-0.92.0000_PB31IMG
(bad)
Installation aborted.

Any suggestions?

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your doing it wrong. First SD card must be fat32. Then rename the file to PB31IMG and move to the root of the sd card.(Not in any folders). Then boot into hboot by powering up the device while holding vol- and power. Stay in hboot and it should ask you if you want to update.

This is not flashed through recovery.

alexuk2008

Reaction score
Alright Doug.
Thanks for all the help. So so much appreciated man.
Needless to say all is fine here with my Incredible. Back to 'out of the box' status.
Just have to install all my apps again now. lol.

Thanks again.

wooddale

Reaction score
I ROOTED A DINK WITH Z4 NOT UNREVOKED giving it to my wife for christmas I set it back to factory before I put it back in the box not that it matters but will I still have root when she activates again it was only temp root Z4 wouldnt let permanent root. Thanks

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Z4 is only temporary root. For permanent root you need to root with unrevoked. Instructions are in my signature.

wooddale

Reaction score
Thanks enlightened. Got unrevoked app on computer downloaded it from fda same app

00 formula

Reaction score
3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys

If you ignore the s-on portion of the OP You can easily upgrade to the 3.26 build. You can use either the PB31IMG or the RUU.

Not sure why it is stalling out on you though.

So if we ignore the s-on portion and upgrade to the latest build, will we still be rooted? If not, how can I update without unrooting? Sorry for the noob questions.

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys

If you ignore the s-on portion of the OP You can easily upgrade to the 3.26 build. You can use either the PB31IMG or the RUU.

So if we ignore the s-on portion and upgrade to the latest build, will we still be rooted? If not, how can I update without unrooting? Sorry for the noob questions.
You'll have root but not in the sense you are thinking. No "rrot" apps will work and you will not have CW recovery anymore.

If you want to maintain "root" and keep the stock rom you can go to Virtuous ROM: Download At the bottom you'll see download goodies. From that point just follow it until you see the stock rooted rom.

wooddale

Reaction score
If I just use the Temp Z4 root on the dinc what would loose when you reboot that you wouldnt get back when you reroot? This phone is for my wife and I doubt she would use anything but wireless tether so would there be any reason to permanent root with Unrevoked?

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That should work just fine for her then.

00 formula

Reaction score

You'll have root but not in the sense you are thinking. No "rrot" apps will work and you will not have CW recovery anymore.

If you want to maintain "root" and keep the stock rom you can go to Virtuous ROM: Download At the bottom you'll see download goodies. From that point just follow it until you see the stock rooted rom.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for

bakdpotato

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Typical apologies: I'm an inexperienced idiot who probably shouldn't have rooted in the first place.

My story:

-Rooted with unrevoked3
-Unrooted with PB31IMG.zip through HBoot
-While wondering why the OTA wouldn't update, realized the 's-on' and 's-off' dilemma
-Read tons of forums, got grey hair, pulled out hair, and finally just registered to ask what I should do.

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 1.00.03.04.06

My goal is to have the phone as it was before I rooted it.

I really appreciate any help, thanks in advance