how to control apps on milestone

sergiocampi

Reaction score
Hi guys.. how can I be able to control applications from starting automatically ? I mean.. after 10 min with the phone on standby.. when I open a task manager software..there are many apps running without my control... helpe please..

Skaggz

Reaction score
You can only achieve this with root access.

Honestly, its not too much of a big deal. These applications running in the background do take up a small amount of resources but Android will kill them automatically when more memory is needed.

Android != Windows

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.. how can I be able to control applications from starting automatically ? I mean.. after 10 min with the phone on standby.. when I open a task manager software..there are many apps running without my control... helpe please..
Relax and leave them be. Unless you're actually having problems from them running, that is.

EShy

Reaction score
You can't be serious, apps start randomly without the user ever opening them and you solution is to just let them be?
I know there's a big debate on killing apps with task managers, but when apps start up on their own, apps I never opened, and eat up my battery, letting them be is not the solution.

Skaggz

Reaction score
Actually, EShy, we're dead serious. Unless you've got apps starting up and placing themselves in the foreground, let them be. Just because they're in the memory, doesn't mean that they are consuming enough resources to be noticible. If you use an app such as OSmonitor, you'll see that they've aren't using any CPU cycles while sitting there idle. And the way that Android handles memory is not the same as your PC. If more memory is called for, it will begin to kill off apps or processes that are not being used right away.

Plus, a lot of those apps that start automatically, aren't doing it just to bug you. They're doing it because their processes were called upon by another app or phone function. When you kill them, most of the time they will have to open themselves back up, and that DOES take system resources.

Now, if you were just using an app or game, and it didn't close properly you may wish to kill it manually before it runs its course over time. But 95% of apps that start up by themselves are not going to hurt anything.

xbill

Reaction score
I'm with sergiocampi and EShy on this. Why do apps launch by themselves?

There is no reason for Market, or Gallery, or any other app to launch automatically if they are not being used. Many of the downloaded apps just launch themselves.

I understand certain services and programs must run or will be launched as part of the normal flow of the OS. I don't mind gmail, calendar, alarm clock, and many of the included apps running, but facebook, browser, MP3 Store should NOT run automatically and randomly.

Are all downloaded apps, free or pay, adware/spyware?

I begining to think the phone or maybe Android OS is based on adware, or even malware. I don't know any linux computer that randomly launches apps.

I shouldn't need an app killer. I should be able to control the behavior of any apps particularly those that are not part of the OS and they should not run randomly on their own.

When those launch automatically, I suspect my phone is infected with malware/spyware.