How to clear the cache on the Droid ultra, Maxx and mini from recovery

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm posting this because I've been asked by a few people, how do I boot into recovery on this device.. Isn't it just like the Razr's? You'll see that it's slightly different..

How do I clear*Cache*Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will*not*delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off,*press*and hold*VOL*DOWN KEY*+*POWER*key*(simultaneously)*for*5 seconds*and then release both buttons.

2. The device will display*different*BOOT*OPTIONS

3. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to SCROLL to*Recovery*and*VOL UP*Key to select*

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have*waited to long to make a selection, you*will need to begin the process again.*

4. The device will display*the*Motorola logo and then*the*Android in distress*( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the*VOL UP*key.*While still holding*the*VOL UP*key*tap and release the*POWER*key. Once you see the RED text at the top of the screen, release both buttons (should take only a second).

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 5, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key until your device reboots, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in*BLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to*wipe*cache*partition*and the*POWER*Key to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great instructions. How about if we make this a sticky? Clearing cache is important and a little different on each device.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thanks for the great instructions. How about if we make this a sticky? Clearing cache is important and a little different on each device.
I thought it had been... But I guess not.. So I stuck it.. Glad you like the thread

RzrGrl

Reaction score
Thanks again for posting this. After fruitless hours of trying to find instructions for these particular models, you came along and saved my day! :)

One question though: at the very end of the process when I would partition my RAZR, you could see the cache clearing progress before the reboot. I don't see that with my Maxx now. Instead, it apparently finishes up clearing the cache and within a blink of the eye the phone is rebooting. I'm going to assume that it did in fact clear the cache, but I just don't have a visual confirmation.

Is this by design perhaps? Fine & dandy if it is, but I've always liked progress bars---feels like you're getting technical closure. ;-)

Just curious ...

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I know how you feel Lol.. It's quick on these devices.. Once it's done, it reboots and it's complete.. :)

Glad you found the thread helpful.

Corlissimo

Reaction score
I'm posting this because I've been asked by a few people, how do I boot into recovery on this device.. Isn't it just like the Razr's? You'll see that it's slightly different..

How do I clear*Cache*Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will*not*delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off,*press*and hold*VOL*DOWN KEY*+*POWER*key*(simultaneously)*for*5 seconds*and then release both buttons.

2. The device will display*different*BOOT*OPTIONS

3. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to SCROLL to*Recovery*and*VOL UP*Key to select*

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have*waited to long to make a selection, you*will need to begin the process again.*

4. The device will display*the*Motorola logo and then*the*Android in distress*( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the*VOL UP*key.*While still holding*the*VOL UP*key*tap and release the*POWER*key. Once you see the RED text at the top of the screen, release both buttons (should take only a second).

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 5, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key until your device reboots, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in*BLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to*wipe*cache*partition*and the*POWER*Key to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Is this method still valid for KitKat?
I've got a stock* Maxx HD and don't see these boot options at all when I enter this mode. In fact, I can't select anything. I just see information that the device is locked; the battery is OK, etc.

Pressing VOL DOWN does nothing. POWER button just boots phone back up normally.

*Phone never rooted, or bootloader unlocked.

Thanks!

Corlissimo

Reaction score
Disregard previous "issue".

Apparently, my phone requires that I press POWER + VOL UP buttons (not VOL DOWN) to enter the boot options menu.

Anybody else see this?

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Is this method still valid for KitKat?
I've got a stock* Maxx HD and don't see these boot options at all when I enter this mode. In fact, I can't select anything. I just see information that the device is locked; the battery is OK, etc.

Pressing VOL DOWN does nothing. POWER button just boots phone back up normally.

*Phone never rooted, or bootloader unlocked.

Thanks!
This sticky is for the 2013 Droid line...

The HD and HD Maxx are 2012 Droids :)
Their procedure is listed here.. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=217019
Clearing your cache...:)