1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to change notification text color

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thebowers, Feb 28, 2010.

1. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I ran xUtlimate to change the time to orange and want to be able to change the notification text from white to orange as well. Just don't know where to start with this.
  2. FlipBack

FlipBack New Member

I'm interested in doing this as well.
  3. mjones1052

mjones1052 New Member

In the framework-res.apk in /system/framework folder on phone, there is some xmls. They are in framework-res.apk/res/layout. They are called status_bar.xml and there is several variations of it. One for new events, one for open, closed, etc. You need to use a hex editor to change it. You can pull the .apk using adb with the command

adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk. c:\users\ yourname \ somefolder

Once you pull it you can make a copy and extract it. Then, using 7zip, right click on original and hit open archive. Now, get your hex editor and change the appropriate xml file in the copy you made that you extracted. Once finished, you can just drag them over to the correct spot in the opened archive window of the original. Copy the original to the tools folder in android-sdk-windows, and push it back to phone.
  4. berlyn

berlyn New Member

i downloaded handsent sms (i think that's how it's spelled, idk i'm at work and am not allowed to have my phone on me) and it allowed me to change LOTS of things (including what color the LED light flashes, PER person too). it's super easy to use too and you can have it look like either iphone, droid, etc
  5. thebowers

What program do you use to edit the xml files? I am assuming when you say hex editor that it is for the color since the are in hexadecimal format. I quess I need to know how to open the xml files to edit them.
  6. kevdog

kevdog New Member

HxD is my favorite hex editor. If you look over on alldroid under Xeudosus' section -- specifically the thread talking about xUltimate -- somewhere in that thread I actually posted a bunch of screen shots and listed the 3 files that need to be hex edited. I'd give you the exact link but face it -- I'm lazy.
  7. thebowers

Thanks for the suggestion on HxD. Now I am a noob at xml and can't understand what I need to do. All I see is a bunch of numbers everywhere with writing to the side in a word wrap format. Any more help would be great. In the meantime I will head over to alldroid and check that thread out too.
  8. thebowers

Kevdog I read your post on alldroid about getting this all to work by using colorchanger3.jar. I have downloaded that and removed the .zip to it but have no idea how to run this file. Do I have to run it through Java or what? Maybe you could give us a guide (for noobs who don't know xml) on how to do this.
  9. thebowers

Ok I got into the colorChangev3.jar through CMD. To input the line of what to change I am having a problem. I type this "java -Xmx512M -jar colorChangev3.jar {then there needs to be a file here}" . What file or path do I need. I keep getting services.jar not found or an access denied message when pointing to framework-res or framework-res.zip? Anyone else know anything or what?
  10. thebowers

After a whole day of struggle I finally got part of it through colorchange. I think a thread will come on how to use this.

[​IMG]
  11. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Looks like you have figured most things out -- I can throw together a quick tutorial -- however the one thing I'm leary about is providing support for users not familiar with adb or downloading and installing the JRE. It looks like you got the colorchanger.jar script up and running successfully, now you just need to modify the 3 additional files to change the colors within the notifications pulldown menu (see how your's are white when the rest of the text color is orange!!!) That coupled with changing Verizon Wireless to something else -- and you should be good to go. I'm very interested in your experience as a noob since sometimes I kind of forget of some of the frustrations more beginner user's may have. Im definitely here to help (a lot!!) but I can't hand-hold all that well!
  12. thebowers

Yeah I forgot the latest, none and name on the screenshot. I went back and did it over again. Sorry to freak, just knew it could be done. I did it all through colorchange as I couldn't figure out the editing of XML.
  13. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Ill write up a tut on HxD editing tomorrow perhaps as its really getting late -- its actually very easy to do, although just slightly more tedious than running colorchangev3.jar. I know stericson somewhere has a video how to hxd edit (for a different file but it gives you an idea of how to do it). Here is the link: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WYoCYgbcsA]YouTube - Tutorial[/ame] Again the file names you have to edit are different however the color code referenced in the video is the same.
  14. thebowers

Thanks Kevdog for that video. That was simple just need that string to find the color. Now I have this done and in MM format.
  15. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Page 12:
    "-framework-res.apk does NOT need to be resigned.
    -The files you need to edit are "status_bar_expanded.xml" and "status_bar_latest_event_content.xml" (I dont know what commands for colorchanger.jar, I edit manually)"

Edit: Kevdog thank you so much for the help! I just have one question, the bar_expanded xml file I only found one instance of 08 00 00 1c and I think in your post you said each of those 2 files required 3 changes. I just only found one instance of that hex string. Thanks for the help!
  16. kevdog

kevdog New Member

The number of edits depends on what ROM version you are using, and also is different on whether its a 2.0.1 vs 2.1 based ROM. Rest assured however that if you find all the color codes in those two files, and change the 4 bytes after the color code, that is all that needs to be done.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

What the heck, let's try this forum also.

Once you change it from Verizon Wireless to something else, how do you change that text color? Mine is coming up blue, but everything else is white.

-Mike
  18. thebowers

When using colorChangev3.jar you can specify the "carrier" color. To me it looks like in 2.1 it is part of the services.jar since the xml files do not have this value to change. If you need instructions for colorchange look at my sig for the how to.
Search tags for this page

android change notification text color

android notification text color
android system notification title font color
can the notification text in android be changed color?
change android notification text
change color of text notification on phone
change color text plus notification

change notification text color android

color of android notification area
droid bionic text notification color
how to change led light pulse in framework-res
how to change to color of text in a alert
note 3 change notification bar font color
notification textcolor
xda change font color framework