How to change icons in menu area

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by tahoe54, Sep 25, 2011.

1. tahoe54

tahoe54 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do I can the icons shown in the menu (shaded) area at the bottom on the home screen?

2. Halo

Halo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What did you just say?

3. da2zoe

da2zoe DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    What launcher are you using? Have you installed anything from the market or is it stock TW?

4. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    If you mean "change" as opposed to "can" and you are using the stock Samsung Touchwiz interface ...

1. Just open the app drawer.
    2. Touch the little "gear" looking icon in the upper left of the screen so that the app icons have an opaque box around them and a + or -.
    3. Drag the desired app icons to the shaded area on the bottom of the home screen. (You will replace existing items if you drag a new icon in its place. 4 is the max number of icons).
    4. When done, click the options button (left-hand bottom button) and touch "save".

If you meant "can" as in getting rid of the bar -- well, other than downloading and installing a new launcher app, I do not think it can be done.

5. fastblue

fastblue New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you

I have been so frustrated because I use Google Voice and cancelled the messaging plan. I wanted to change that dock icon ever since getting the phone. I just did it thanks to you.

6. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome to the forum. You can also use a home replacement app that will give you various choices on layout and what shortcuts go where. You do not have to be rooted to run them either.

7. banny01

banny01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what I am doing wrong, but when I hit the gear looking thing it brings up all my home screens to "set" and doesn't give me any of what you are describing above. please help because I would love to rearrange that bottom row of app icons.

thanks

8. da2zoe

Ratings:
    +49
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    If you are on the stock home screens (launcher) that came with your phone then this process should work. I haven't been on the stock for a while but pretty sure I remember how I used to change dock icons. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong....lol. If you have installed another launcher from the market then let us know and we can help you with the steps for whichever one you are using.

• Open applications by tapping the app icon on the right of your dock.
    • Make sure your apps are showing in the grid view. If they aren't then go to Menu>Grid View
    • When icons are in Grid view go to Menu>Edit
    • Now you should be able to move the app icons around. Drag whatever you want to the dock area and it will replace what's there.

9. da2zoe

Ratings:
    +49
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    Oh du! Where are my manners? Welcome fastblue and banny01 to the Forums! dancedroid

10. banny01

banny01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    obviously I am not great with technology - I have not changed any launcher or anything with my phone. it is the exact same that was on there. However, I am still unable to change my dock. I did exactly what you said and it will move the applications around, but not replace them on the dock. I drag it down to the dock and it just puts the application on the last page of applications when i "let go"....never mind, I just figured it out. I was trying to replace the applications icon and that is a non-replaceable one. The first way definitely still doesn't work, but the above does. THANKS!!!

11. da2zoe

Ratings:
    +49
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    Glad that worked! And I wouldn't say you're bad with technology, you're just learning new tricks. Even great inventors had to start somewhere. *this is where you notice my clever signature quote* :)

tap'n

12. fastblue

fastblue New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    More details

You are missing step one. Open the app drawer = icon to the far right. The app drawer allows you to delete apps from it by hitting the gear icon just like the one on the home screen. You will hit the gear icon and then you are ready to drag a app to the bottom dock.

As far as trying a different launcher, and done that but won't again. Most launchers appear fast, easy, but don't close programs many times. I would have to close the launcher to use the factory launcher to close running programs.

I love the TouchWiz interface now that the dock is changed. I use Folder Organizer to access my applications quickly.

13. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    You have to hit the "gear" while having the "app drawer" open. If you hit the "gear" from any home screen without the app drawer open, it opens a screen to edit your screens (what you've described). You must open the "App Drawer". The app drawer is the "checkerboard" icon (not a button) that opens a list of all your applications -- the application launcher screen. Hit the "gear" while that is open and you'll be good.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that Da2zoe has gotten you squared-away. :D

Search tags for this page
change bookmark icon android
change menu icon android
change menu icon in android

droid charge bottom menu

how to change android menu icons

how to change icon in menu android

how to change menu icon android

how to change menu icon on android
how to change menu icons in android

how to change menu icons on android