how to chage icons (other then bettercut)?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by blnko6, Apr 25, 2010.

1. blnko6

blnko6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im running Jrummy 5.0.6.2 and i been trying to change the icons using better cut but every time i open the app and hit edit shortcute it tells me something about needing open home and then it forcecloses. any other way to chage icons ? dont really wanna use open home or pandahome or none of those things.
    thanks .
  2. supersaki

supersaki Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can manually edit the icon in the application's .apk. It's in the res/drawable-hdpi folder for most apps I think.

The 'something about needing open home ...' is probably talking about icon packs. I haven't had that screen in a while but after that window it asks if you want to go to the market and download icon packs. If it's crashing there you may fix file permissions in clockwork rom manager and see if that helps.

I also seem to get force closes any time I edit an icon in bettercut (it force closes launcher every time), but bettercut doesn't FC and it changes the icon anyways.
  3. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you change the icons this way do you need to resign the apk?
  4. blnko6

blnko6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know where the icons are, but if the theme and icons itself r on the phone how can I replace them? using terminal emulater or something ??
    thanks.
  5. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are unfamiliar with pulling and editing apk's i would recommend an app called folder organizer, it has the ability change icons for apps and is very easy to use. I know bettercut is the most popular option but I never really liked the way it worked.

Folder Organizer is much easier than messing with the apk's if you plan on changing several icons. If you just want to change one icon and have a little time on your hands then maybe it is time to learn how to edit apk file;)
  6. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look at folder organizer. I don't mind learning about the APK file as I am working on learning development anyway. Just looking for a quick (easy) answer.
  7. elusive

elusive New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Going to look into Folder Organizer too (thanks Droidfish!). Btw, you do have to resign the apk if you change the icon. I've had issues where the app would disappear otherwise.

A sort of easy way I use is by editing an update.zip file. I put the edit apk in the system/app folder and do an update with nandroid. The app won't get updates from the market, but I don't mind searching every once in a while. Plus, most of the apps I have work pretty smoothly.

UPDATE: FolderOrganizer doesn't seem to change icons for me. :(
  8. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did it change them within the app(folder organizer) if so you need to add them to the screen via longpress>Add Shortcut>FolderOrganize Item

It doesn't change the icon system wide, just in FolderOrganizer which essentially creates shortcuts with customizable icons. They still function the same and there is no lag when opening apps.

Unfortunately it will not change them in the app drawer(I know some people don't like having a different icon in the app drawer)

Hope this helps
  9. elusive

elusive New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I gotcha now. I misunderstood how the app worked. I thought it made system wide changes. Ah well, thanks anyway.
  10. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the obivous answer is metamorph. you can metamorph any icon in /system which means the framework-res and any app that's in /system/app/...million times easier than editing and resigning the apk.
  11. elusive

elusive New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It won't work for market apps though since they're not in /system/app though, right?

FWIW, MetaMorph doesn't work on my phone running BuglessBeast v0.9. I didn't try to hard to get it working though.
  12. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it works. its just touchy. and yes, market apps go into /data/app/ so you have to move them to /system/ to morph em...i just do that when im happy with the latest version of an app.