How to catch a spoofer

Andres64

Reaction score
I've been getting what appear to be robo spoofed calls for a couple weeks now. They all have my area code but the prefix and number changes so I can't block. For example: I get a call from 734-111-0001 and then 734-111-0025 and then 734-111-0123, etc. They go thru all 734-111-0000 thru 734-111-9999 and then go to 734-112-0000 thru 112-9999. Now they don't hit every number, but the pattern is always the same. Verizon insists that they have no record of these calls and can't stop them.

There must be a record of these calls. I can't believe that there isn't a trail in their system somewhere.

Any ideas how to make this stop and/or find the perpetrator?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
A

Andres64

Reaction score
Really? There's no way to trace/stop it?:icon_eek:

bishoy

Reaction score
if its really that serious, you could file a police report and get a subpoena, which would require whatever service they are using (ex. spoofcard) to supply the police with who they are, what their real phone number is, etc.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
First id log into myverizon(go to verizonwireless.com and go to bill, and look under your cell phone under calls) and look and see if they are on their. If they arnt then i think an app could be tricking you or something. You should look at all your apps and try to narrow down the possibilities. this is because It would make no sense for the system not to pick up the calls.... as you have to go through Verizons system to receive them. Vz has to have a record of the call. Its just that simple. Magical calls cant just appear. I think it would be plausible for you to be spoofed but their would at least be a record of you getting a call. it may be a tad more difficult to track the end that called you but youd definitely have a record of receiving a call. Spoofing requires you to pretend your something. I dont think its possible to spoof nothing. Thus i think it is more plausible for maybe an app to be at fault. Have you installed any 3rd party apps? I suggest maybe removing most of your unnecessary applications, or at least narrow it down to which few are at fault. I would just use titanium backup and freeze several apps at a time but im not sure if your rooted. I have not seen an applicaion with this phone calling behavior but id believe that long before i would believe an invisible phone call on Vz systems.

OP
A

Andres64

Reaction score
First id log into myverizon(go to verizonwireless.com and go to bill, and look under your cell phone under calls) and look and see if they are on their.

They aren't.

If they arnt then i think an app could be tricking you or something. You should look at all your apps and try to narrow down the possibilities.

I thought that might have been it. But I don't have any third party apps. And, fwiw, I have "Lookout" and it says everything is ok. I also thought it might be my phone going crazy.

this is because It would make no sense for the system not to pick up the calls.... as you have to go through Verizons system to receive them. Vz has to have a record of the call. Its just that simple. Magical calls cant just appear.

Exactly what i thought.

I think it would be plausible for you to be spoofed but their would at least be a record of you getting a call. it may be a tad more difficult to track the end that called you but youd definitely have a record of receiving a call. Spoofing requires you to pretend your something. I dont think its possible to spoof nothing. Thus i think it is more plausible for maybe an app to be at fault. Have you installed any 3rd party apps?

Nope.

I suggest maybe removing most of your unnecessary applications, or at least narrow it down to which few are at fault. I would just use titanium backup and freeze several apps at a time but im not sure if your rooted. I have not seen an applicaion with this phone calling behavior but id believe that long before i would believe an invisible phone call on Vz systems.

I have Lookout and DroidSecurity. Both scan clean. I think i might go to the Verizon store and ask for a new phone.

Thanks for the help.

Beka27

Reaction score
Have you done a full data wipe/factory reset? Remove all apps and all info, format your SD card, start completely fresh and see if the calls continue to happen. I'm not sure what asking for a new phone would accomplish, just wipe yours.

swagmonster

Reaction score
Some one is calling your phone from an app
To mess with you my friend used to do.it all the time

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
A

Andres64

Reaction score

What kind of app could do that? I don't have any new or third party apps and, fwiw, I have Lookout and DroidSecurity and everything scans clean.

:huh:

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather

What kind of app could do that? I don't have any new or third party apps and, fwiw, I have Lookout and DroidSecurity and everything scans clean.

I think swagmonster means that whoever is calling you has the app, not you. :)

It's an odd conundrum. The 734-111-xxxx number is from the Ann Arbor (Detroit), MI area. The first number, 734-111-0001 is a wireless number. Sorry, but I don't have any additional information or know of an app that would block these phone calls.

Good luck, though!

OP
A

Andres64

Reaction score

I think swagmonster means that whoever is calling you has the app, not you. :)

It's an odd conundrum. The 734-111-xxxx number is from the Ann Arbor (Detroit), MI area. The first number, 734-111-0001 is a wireless number. Sorry, but I don't have any additional information or know of an app that would block these phone calls.

Good luck, though!

Thanks. Whatever it was has quit as quickly as it started.