how to cache google maps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by miamidroid, Feb 2, 2010.

1. miamidroid

miamidroid New Member

Like the title states, is there anyway to cache the maps on the sd card?
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Yes and no. You can change the app to cache to the SD card, but you can't force it to cache anything it wasn't already going to. It's just a matter of moving the cache directory to the SD card and creating a symbolic link.

Also, I've noticed a lot of force-closes with the maps application when you cache to the SD card - when the phone boots up or any time the SD card gets mounted via USB the maps app crashes.
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Is this technique anything you can describe here, or are willing? I have been beating my head against this wall in maps trying to find a way, or even trying to find where these maps are cached on the phone. I live and work in an area where I go in and out of 3g, and would love to know how to "preload" maps. I am a fairly savy phone user/hacker, and I can live with limitations.

Craig
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

There's no method for preloading - the maps app already caches in /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps

As far as I could tell, there was no way to force it to cache MORE maps, or to cache specific maps - it's just a normal operational cache. Moving it to the SD card accomplished nothing.
  5. cplus

cplus New Member

Oruxmaps. I use offline maps all the time. My friend compiles em for me though.

Oh, and you're only allowed to download 500MB of map data from google maps a day.
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Thank you sir, for the explanation. That was kinda what I was experiencing, although I did not get as far as you. I have tried the My Maps, but that feature is totally lame for what I was hoping to do.

And Cplus, I owe you big for that link. I have tried searching the android market for a program like that, but my searches always have been so broad that I end up with 100 pages of things to look at.

I am a Land Surveyor by profession, so what I looked at briefly is no problem. I work with imagery almost on a daily basis, so georeferenceing, converting, etc. are no problems. Not looking to abuse anything, just something to help make my phone move a little closer to my handheld gps devices.

Craig
  7. corndawg56

corndawg56 New Member

Offline Mapping for Droid

For offline mapping, I have used Oruxmaps, RMaps, ANDNAV, and some others, and so far Orux is my favorite. Trimble Outdoors ($10) has many of the same features, except it's paid, and in order to cache the maps, you need to scroll through your path on your phone at all zoom levels for your task, which is not efficient for the length of some of my excursions. Plus, no Aerial Images, just Satellite, Topo, and Street. I will keep an eye on Trimble though, because it has many powerful features and is likey to get better.
    Creating offline maps for Orux is actually pretty easy...just go to the Orux website, download their link to TrekBuddy, and use TrekBuddy to cut and download your maps. You can get topo, street, and aerial maps in several different versions. With the Google Earth Aerial images, you are restricted to 600 tiles per IP for certain regions, so it may take a few days to load your whole trip of aerial.
  8. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

I use Rmaps, I've got 5gb of maps on my SDcard, you can make maps yourself and get ultra high res terrain and sat images anywhere, I was testing this when I got frostbite and thus suddenly had a lot of time to post on droidforums :D
  9. cplus

cplus New Member

Why is this thread 1 star?? It has all you need for the question asked. Caching maps is hard work, mainly for dedicated enthusiasts. And it seems to be worth it. I traded my modding knowledge for current offline map database but when I want more, I'm eventually going to have to learn how to use trekbuddy. Anyway, 5 Stars
  10. ldwnt

ldwnt New Member

Could you send me a copy please? My mail addr: ldwntjs@gmail.com.

I download "OruxMapsDesktop" and "Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8 beta 3", but neither of them seem to provide the function of downloading google maps cache for android phones.
  11. corndawg56

corndawg56 New Member

You can just search the market for Oruxmaps. It's a free app, and since last year it's been updated considerably. It also allows map caching straight from your phone now, with no extra PC software needed such as Trekbuddy. For larger trips it is easier to use Trekbuddy. A free special version of Trekbuddy for exporting to Orux is available at the Orux website.
Search tags for this page
android data com.google.android.apps.maps cache

aumentar cache google maps en android

cache google maps 2009
cached maps for trimble android
com google android apps maps cache download

com.google.android.apps.maps cache

download /mnt/sdcard/android/data/com.google.earth/cache
force google maps to cache
how to cache in google earth in android
how to retrieve cached googlemaps
how to use chached maps android 2013