How to Block Calls with Google Voice the correct way.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This tutorial is for those that want the blocked call message to come up for your Verizon number and your Google Voice number.

This is from my own trial and error testing. I don’t know if any of these steps is not needed, but I will give all the steps that I used to get it to work. If you have anything to add, please do. I will be using the PC to change most settings on Google Voice, because I find it to be the best way.
If possible have another phone you can test this with.

To lessen confusion, and keep from having to repeat words over and over, here is a list of words and description of their use.

1)Block call message = Tone..Tone…Tone….Were sorry you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again.
2)Verizon Number = Your main number, not your Google Voice number.
3)Google Voice number = google voice number. :)

Do it this way. Do I know why it works this way? No. Does it work this way? Yes, and as long as its working that’s all the matters to me. When I would call my Google Voice number the block call message would come on correctly, but when I called from my Verizon number I would ring a few times then I would get a busy signal. This way makes the block call message show up on both. Here is how to do this:

Step 1) Forward Number.
First open up Google Voice app, click menu button, settings, making calls, check “ Do not use Google Voice to make all calls (you can put your settings back later). Exit out.
Go to Google Voice on your PC, click “settings”, under Phone Tab, click “show advanced settings”, under forward options make sure you have “Go straight to voicemail checked” and click on “Activate”. A popup will appear with instructions to forward your phone. Do it this way
Yes I know you can set up forwarding through the phone way, but for whatever reason as I stated above, the phone way will only allow you to hear the block call message on your Google Voice number , not on your Verizon number. You will just hear a busy signal.

Step 2) Blocking Calls (Do this on the PC)
Ok , set whatever number you want to block to your contacts. After this click on this contact and you will see “Edit Google Voice Settings” Click this, In here you will see “When this contact calls you:” in bold, Click “edit”. Now Click on the bottom circle. In the drop box set it to block caller. Click save.
From here on when that number calls you using your Google Voice number will instantly get the block call message. If they call you from your Verizon number they will hear a few rings first then the block call message will come up.
Now because the Verizon number rings a few times before the block call message, your phone will still ring but here is how to stop that. :)

Step 3) Stop Incoming calls (Do this on the Phone)
Click on Phone, Contacts, Click on the blocked contact, click menu button, click Options, check Incoming calls.
This will stop the phone from ringing, so now no matter which number your block number calls, it will hear the block call message.

Now this is the way I got it to work. If anyone has finds a simpler way I will gladly update this post.

mightyleemoon

Reaction score
Did Google Voice change how this works? It appears they've taken this option away. Anyone else notice this?