How to backup browser bookmarks

baboon619

Reaction score
Is there a way to export or backup my bookmarks from the stock web browser? Have to have my phone replaced and need to get the ones off my old phone to new one.

Sent from my DROIDX

modisch

Reaction score
Titanium backup can backup and restore bookmarks but I'm not sure t can be transferred across phones safely.

This xda thread shows where in the file tree the browser stores its data... And the sql lite command for extracting the bookmarks from the database. It is an old thread, but it also mentions an app that allows you to send your bookmarks to your pc.

There is also a google app called "chrome to phone" that sends data from your chrome browser on your desktop to your phone. And a non-google app called "phone to chrome" that does the opposite.

I have no personal experience with any of this though.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
This xda thread shows where in the file tree the browser stores its data... And the sql lite command for extracting the bookmarks from the database. It is an old thread, but it also mentions an app that allows you to send your bookmarks to your pc.

Which tread? No link showed up :icon_eek:
Ill look for that app too.

modisch

Reaction score

Which tread? No link showed up :icon_eek:
Ill look for that app too.

Hah. My bad. Here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=475892

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

BoJatey

Reaction score
All kinds of apps for backing up bookmarks. Go to market and do a "backup bookmarks" search and pick one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

RPFNYC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZenPhone
All kinds of apps for backing up bookmarks. Go to market and do a "backup bookmarks" search and pick one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

The problem with that is that most are very poorly designed.
Also many only work on older devices , and that even have a warning sign right in their description.
Also many tend to erase other kinds of data without your permission which makes the customer angry & unhappy with the product.

I myself have tried over 50 apps for backing up Bookmarks and yet to bump into a great or even a good one
that does what its intended to do without screwing up other things..

People right now are screaming for a great Bookmarks App that lets them sync to all their chrome browsers,
as well as be able to back up all their bookmarks into a nice small package file that they can have it auto upload to
a cloud storage of their choice such as for example Google Drive..
And in order for it to be deleted it would require the user to input their password for that file 3 times..
making sure thats the file the user wants to delete.

Bookmarks are extremely important to people. And the last thing they need is having their mobile devices break,
and not being able to have a backup to their bookmarks.

I lately as of 05-25-2016 have seen so many junk app's that claim something and does not do what they claim to do.
either the app is for very old android OSs or devices or their services are broken because no one maintains it anymore.
or the app has not been updated since 2002.....

Google company really needs to create a really nice Bookmarks app because people right now are in need of it.
because other developers tend to neglect the app and barely maintain their app.
They are just there to collect the money from purchases but not up keep their apps.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The problem with that is that most are very poorly designed.
Also many only work on older devices , and that even have a warning sign right in their description.
Also many tend to erase other kinds of data without your permission which makes the customer angry & unhappy with the product.

I myself have tried over 50 apps for backing up Bookmarks and yet to bump into a great or even a good one
that does what its intended to do without screwing up other things..

People right now are screaming for a great Bookmarks App that lets them sync to all their chrome browsers,
as well as be able to back up all their bookmarks into a nice small package file that they can have it auto upload to
a cloud storage of their choice such as for example Google Drive..
And in order for it to be deleted it would require the user to input their password for that file 3 times..
making sure thats the file the user wants to delete.

Bookmarks are extremely important to people. And the last thing they need is having their mobile devices break,
and not being able to have a backup to their bookmarks.

I lately as of 05-25-2016 have seen so many junk app's that claim something and does not do what they claim to do.
either the app is for very old android OSs or devices or their services are broken because no one maintains it anymore.
or the app has not been updated since 2002.....

Google company really needs to create a really nice Bookmarks app because people right now are in need of it.
because other developers tend to neglect the app and barely maintain their app.
They are just there to collect the money from purchases but not up keep their apps.
You're 5 years late to this thread.

Google chrome has a backup option in chrome.

12bb5985846ca90425034705da128b2b.jpg

RPFNYC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZenPhone
I went there and I dont see anything that says Backup or Sync Bookmarks.
So still confused.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I went there and I dont see anything that says Backup or Sync Bookmarks.
So still confused.
Are you signed into chrome? It syncs between mobile and desktop automatically.

RPFNYC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZenPhone
Are you signed into chrome? It syncs between mobile and desktop automatically.

I knew you was going to ask that question, completely forgot to State that in my first posting.
Soo...

Yes I am signed into my chrome account within chrome in my mobile device.
In my device, its mandatory to be signed into Chrome and a Google Account. (ZenPhone).
I understand that it Syncs between chromes from desktop to mobile device and from mobile device to desktop.
What I need is to be able to Back it up on a cloud server, incase my phone is stolen or it breaks.
I need some sort of security blanket that I know I have ALL my bookmarks in a PACKAGE like 7zip and Backup on
for example Google Drive or Dropbox or something of that sort.

I tried so many apps in the googleplay store and they are all crap.
and many neglected by its developer or UI so old and far beyond disgusting,
that its not worth using.
Some apps go as far as completely erasing all your chrome bookmarks after it backs it up.
(Yes, i know horrid.) leaving me without any bookmarks right after it backs up.
So I uninstall the app.

People keep reffering me to use TITANIUM Backup,...
But I cant, this is a brand new Phone, and it states that If I use any Root apps to root
the device, my warranty with be void. I dont want to void my warranty because this is a spanking brand new phone.
And if anything goes wrong with it, I want to be able to have the 2 year warranty on it to be replaced in case
something would happen to it for any reason.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Once they are saved in your Google account you can log into Chrome on any device and see tour bookmarks. I guess I'm not sure why you would need them saves to a zip file? I can log into Chrome on any device and see all of.my bookmarks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RPFNYC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZenPhone
Once they are saved in your Google account you can log into Chrome on any device and see tour bookmarks. I guess I'm not sure why you would need them saves to a zip file? I can log into Chrome on any device and see all of.my bookmarks.

Ok, so you are basically telling me all my bookmarks are automatically being saved on Google Servers in a folder specifically for bookmarks
Under my Google account ?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's the way I believe it works. Maybe not in a "folder" that you can access. But any Chrome browser I log into, on any computer, laptop, etc will show all of my saved bookmarks

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ok, so you are basically telling me all my bookmarks are automatically being saved on Google Servers in a folder specifically for bookmarks
Under my Google account ?

Do you see them on a computer?