How to Back-Up files to my SD card to FREE UP SPACE on my phone

Charles Glisson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alcatel 7
All I want to do, is to transfer
"Photos & Videos" to my SD card, do that I can "Free Up" space on my Alcatel 7 Android Cell phone.

And yes, the SD card is ALREADY FORMATTED, and I have already transfered files to it which I CAN ACCESS in my phone. [ Although, for the LIFE of me, I can't remember how on earth I DID THAT.

The Problem is, if I delete a file to free up space on my phone, it ALSO gets "Deleted" on the SD card. Which brings up a question, WHY have an SD card, if you HAVE to STILL store the file on your "Phone", in the FIRST PLACE!

You would THINK that this would be a "No Brainer", BUT
many searches on Google & Youtube has resulted in nothing but confusion and fustration.

Either I have a WEIRD ANDROID, or most of the online sources are FULL of "It"!

Thank You,

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum. Is the SD card formatted as Adoptive Internal storage or External? That makes a big difference. If formatted as Adoptive Internal then the operating system "merges" the SD card and internal storage as one lump sum. Deleting from either location is the same "lump" of storage space. If formatted as External then it is truly an external device and deleting from either location is specific to the specific location.

This is why most phone techs recommend to never, ever format an SD card as Adoptive Internal storage. It makes a mess of things of you don't understand how it works.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
C

Charles Glisson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alcatel 7
Sorry but I am COMPLETELY LOST here, I formatted my SD Card BOTH WAYS and STILL can't figure out how to get MY PICTURES AND VIDEOS, off of MY INTERNAL STORAGE, and ON to MY SD CARD

I have an EMPTY SD CARD, and a Cell phone that is ALMOST OUT OF MEMORY.

HOW do I FIX this ****.

It CAN'T be THAT COMPLICATED

I have a FULL PHONE, and an EMPTY SD CARD!

I have been WORKING on this gor DAYS!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What phone do you have? Does it have a Files app? If so you should be able to use that app to copy & paste from internal memory to the SD card. Do you have a laptop you can hook your phone to with a USB cable? If so that's an easy way to copy pictures and video off the phone.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk