How to avoid spending the full $299 upgrade rate at Verizon on Day 1

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
I for one am not excited about the $299 upgrade rate Verizon has been putting on there phones, I'm still getting it launch day, but I've found ways to avoid giving Verizon $299.

1. If you frequent this site, you witnessed the pyramid scheme that was run to get the $50 Verizon card for free from livingsocial, or maybe you just payed the $25 to save $25, or maybe you missed the deal, regardless, there were savings to be had.

2. Don't throw away your Verizon mail right away, I don't have one yet, but everyone on my plan has been notified to keep an eye out for one, apparently the $100 off any 4G phone really means any 4G phone, making the Nexus fair game.

01.jpg

3. Switch upgrades with the person on your plan who happens to have the $50 discount with there upgrade, lucky for me, someone on my plan is due up for upgrade with a $50 discount and they don't want a new phone.

4. If all else fails, tell your loved ones Christmas is going to to blow if you don't have this phone in your hands on launch day (don't say Christmas day, then they'll say, "ohh well then you can have it for Christmas", trust me, I've thought this out). While I was unable to convince my loved ones that they needed to cover the full cost of the phone on launch day and that could be my Christmas present, they agreed to put $100 toward my cause and the rest would go toward surprising me...

Feel free to contribute any other ideas you have for saving.

sxm

Reaction score
Go to a Verizon Wireless Authorized Dealer and get them to waive the tax if you pay CASH.

$299 + 8.875% (NYC) = $325

Save 25 big ones. Woohoo.

jcardona1

Reaction score
At least you guys don't get taxed on the full $700 like we do in Commiefornia. That's an extra $60-70 on top of the damn $299 price.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Let's keep the comments friendly here people...no need to tell people how to spend their money

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If you come here to flame or call names, go else where. Any post like that will be deleted and will receive infractions/vacations.

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Go to a Verizon Wireless Authorized Dealer and get them to waive the tax if you pay CASH.

$299 + 8.875% (NYC) = $325

Save 25 big ones. Woohoo.

Do you know if that works in every state?

GoBears

Reaction score
Are those vouchers still being mailed or have they been out awhile? I could sure use 100 bucks back in my pocket.

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Are those vouchers still being mailed or have they been out awhile? I could sure use 100 bucks back in my pocket.

Not sure, I'm hoping mine is just slow arriving thanks to extra holiday traffic.

nleksan

Reaction score
I've never seen those vouchers before? Am I missing something? Clearly I am, but I want that voucher!!

Htown315

Reaction score
I think I may have seen those but didn't bother reading it. It had a razr on the other side iirc.

datacreek

Reaction score
Let's keep the comments friendly here people...no need to tell people how to spend their money

I think the post are not "telling people" but rather suggesting how to save money.

If you come here to flame or call names...

I didn't see any flame or name calling but perhaps the post was deleted.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I think the post are not "telling people" but rather suggesting how to save money.

I didn't see any flame or name calling but perhaps the post was deleted.

It all happened earlier & those posts were deleted. The ones you quoted were left as a reminder & what they could expect if they continued.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
At least you guys don't get taxed on the full $700 like we do in Commiefornia. That's an extra $60-70 on top of the damn $299 price.

No tax here. Gotta love it.

Tap'd from my Bionic

gniss39

Reaction score
I just got this coupon in the mail today good until Xmas eve. Also has a $25 off accessories when you spend more than $50