how to access/view/edit the internal memory on droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dr01dm0dd3r, Apr 15, 2010.

1. dr01dm0dd3r

dr01dm0dd3r New Member

Hello, I need help trying to access the built in memory of the droid. Does anyone know how to? When I plug into computer it only shows sd card, but I want to view/edit the droids internal memory. I've tried astro, but that only does sd card.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

First off if you don't know what you are doing, it is probably better that you don't just delete random things, or modify them. You can probably cause some unwanted problems to occur. Also make backups before doing edits, just in case.

Astro should be able to view the internal memory, I most certainly can with it on my phone. Click the up button until it won't go up anymore, leaving you at the root of your phone. Then browse through the folders.

To modify though, you will need to use ADB (guide in hacking help here on how to set it up and use it), Terminal Emulator (market app), Root Explorer (market app as well), or something that has root permissions. Technically you can make Astro do it, but that requires extra steps to setup, but that is beyond this post. Also, you will need one of the above to set it up anyhow.

If you want to mess with something in the system partition you will need to set that partition to RW.
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You cannot directly modify internal memory from a PC in the same way that you can access the SD card.

You need to use a utility like ADB to push/pull individual files, or use a browser on the phone (like astro - and astro is not limited to the SD card, I think it just shows that directory by default.). For most things, you will need to have root access.
  4. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

two words: root explorer
  5. dr01dm0dd3r

dr01dm0dd3r New Member

@cupfuloflol thanks man, for the most part I know what I'm doing and ill give those a try.
    @se7 ill see what ABD I have and go from there thanks
  6. bigdad63

bigdad63 Member

Sorry for the noobness but are there any native programs I can delete to save some internal memory. Thanks
  7. Nighky

Nighky New Member

Im having the same problem, how do I get access to my internal memory through my computer. I want to put my music on my phone but there isnt enough space on my SD card.
  8. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

There is way less space on the phone than on the SD card. Besides even if you put music onto the phone's memory, I am not too sure the media player would recognize it was on the phone's internal memory.

If 16GB isn't enough to hold enough music to satisfy you, you could invest in a 32GB memory card. There are some out there, although they can be kinda pricey. It would probably be more cost effective to buy an inexpensive MP3 player though at that point, don't know what MP3 players are going for nowadays.
  9. Migamix

Migamix New Member

memory locations

Maybe the posters and follow up posters are thinking different things, let's clarify some references here.
    3 memory locations
    Internal- the tiny bit used by the OS.
    Built in- the 8 gigs im supposed to have access to for all my app happyness.
    External- the micro SD card, what should be for my music pictures, and secret files of my cat.
    Ok, now that i have clarified. My question in simple. I do not want the OS using the SD card for any apps. period. I hook it to my computer to load my DJ playlist to. And im presented with 15 application directories. And find that almost none of the built in memory is being used. I don't much care for that and would like to know how to prevent apps from using the "removable" memory.
    don't get me wrong. I love this phone. But it lacks a simple way to manage memory storage and make the OS see the large 8 gig memory i want it to use for its app locations' would it be a good idea to unmount the SD card when using an app for the first time. Just so its forced to use the built in?
    and. Where can i find the complete user guide. Im not talking about the noon version of the manual. I mean the 100% "this is everything the phone does" guide

Droid X unrooted
    Default configuration as if i got it right out of the box
    please don't say ill have to root the phone to be able to do what im asking.
  10. kevdog

kevdog New Member

There is no 100% info guide. And I know you don't want to here it -- but root your phone for christ sakes. You'll have access to a lot of otherwise closed partitions.
  11. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Check out Android Commander, its an app someone built for your PC, its pretty much a GUI front end for ADB. Its a slight pain in the butt to set up though. It has a dual pane file manager and access to your droids terminal from your PC.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. Deaniemc

Deaniemc New Member

Accessing Droid X internal memory card on a PC

To access your internal memory card, attach your Droid via the USB cable. The default that will appear on your PC will be the SD Card listed as Droid X. To switch to the internal card, slide down notifications and click the connection. This will bring up a menu--choose USB Mass Storage, then wait for your PC to recognize your new hardware. I was able to find saved .mp3 files from text messages and then copy then, switch back to PC and the SD card and save them in a Ringtones folder so I could access them on my Droid.
Search tags for this page
access android internal memory

access internal memory android

accessing internal memory android
android access internal memory

how to access android internal memory

how to access droid internal memory

how to access internal memory android

how to access internal memory on android

how to view internal memory on android

view internal memory android