How stable is metamorph?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by mmmboba, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mmmboba

mmmboba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I overclocked my phone to 1ghz and I have both GDE and OpenHome but both seem to force close a lot and I'm really tempted to use metamorph but at the same time I'm kind of nervous about doing it too. I was wondering how often it force closes if it does at all and I like the look of GDE but I like the custom icon folders of open home so i was also wondering if metamorph can combine the 2.

Thanks =)

2. dtartini

dtartini Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Firt of all metamorph works a little differently than a home replacement like GDE and Panda. As to your question I have never had a fc from metamorph AFTER a theme had been successfuly been installed. It may be possible for you to find some different metamorph themes that would mimic the effects of these home replacements you would just have to find them or make your own.

3. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MM is a program that modifies icons and other files (xml, .jar) once -- once it does that it doesn't run in the background -- its through. It shouldn't cause FC's unless somehow the framework.apk or services.jar is messed up.

4. mmmboba

mmmboba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh okay thanks guys. Another question i have is, can i change folder icons and can i have the screens just rotate through if so how would i go about doing that?
    Thanks again for the responses =)

5. SoCalMiles

SoCalMiles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Metamorph isn't a home app. Its a theme app. Panda and open home are Home replacement apps. Metamorph changes how everything looks. 2 totally different ball games my friend!

6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Metamorph can cause problems if the theme isn't meant for your particular setup. For example some 2.01 themes when run on certain 2.1 ROMs can cause bootloops. Nothing serious, a simple restore cures them but it can happen. This is one of the many reasons you should perform a backup prior to themeing, also incase you don't like the look of something you can easily go back. As far as stability though, as mentioned it really doesn't affect that. It changes how things look, not how they behave.

You can change all of the icons with metamorph. Each icon is placed in a different location. The folder icon is in the Launcher.apk or framework-res.apk if I remember right, could be wrong about this. Other apps icons are generally in their respective apk. Really though the easiest way to go about this is to use an app like ABCorganizer or Bettercut (both in market), especially if you use a lot of non-system shortcuts or want to differentiate between folders. Bettercut allows you to create custom shortcuts to anything, as well as change the icon. You can create your own icon, or download one of the many "icon packs" from the market. There are also tons of websites on the web, which create various icons you could snag if you wanted to. ABCorganizer is similar, but it allows you to create "folders" to put things in.

Not really sure what you mean about the rotating screens.

7. mmmboba

mmmboba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh sorry for example. The last screen on the right goes to the last screen on the left so it just keeps looping.

I guess i haven't really figured out how to make folders with bettercut yet because i actually have that already

#7 mmmboba, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  8. mmmboba

mmmboba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting force closes with the smoked glass launcher. I'm assuming I didn't install it correctly. Any help on how to fix this?
    It says "The application Launcher (process com.android.launcher2) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

#8 mmmboba, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Launcher 2 is extremely buggy. The most stable version has tons of bugs in it still. Some people have decent luck with it, I did too for a while, but then got a lot of crashes and various other things. Don't use launcher2 is the solution to your problem though lol

About your screen rotation thing, some of the home replacements do this. Well Home++ does at least (it is in int he market). Home++ can be kinda buggy too, but much more stable than launcher2.