How safe is Androlib.com?

DaveH

Reaction score
Are the Droids pretty safe from phishing, hacker attacks, etc when downloading apps from androlib? Does androlib screen the app writers, or do we take risks dl'ing apps? I realize nothing is without some degree of risk and that you need to be smart....this environment is new to me and I'm not familiar with the hazards and how to best avoid them. Thanks.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can download the APKs right off that site? I always thought it was just a description site... Hmm.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
AFAIK Androlib is just a front end to the market. I don't think there are any apps on there that are not in the market and I don't think you can download apps from there (although you can scan a barcode and be taken to an app in the market). I use it to browse for apps since I can do it on my much bigger pc monitor.

OP
D

DaveH

Reaction score
Thanks. Like I said, I'm ignorant about this. I guess I should have said downloading 'through', and not 'from' Androlib. I've DL'd about all of my (free) apps 'through' Androlib.
So maybe my real question then is how do you know that a paid app is safe to DL? I feel really apprehensive about entering my credit card number on the phone to download a paid app. Thanks.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Like I said, I'm ignorant about this. I guess I should have said downloading 'through', and not 'from' Androlib. I've DL'd about all of my (free) apps 'through' Androlib.
So maybe my real question then is how do you know that a paid app is safe to DL? I feel really apprehensive about entering my credit card number on the phone to download a paid app. Thanks.

You don't enter a credit card on your phone. Or at least you don't have to. You can go to your google account on your computer and enter it there. After that you never enter a credit card number for an individual purchase.

If it still concerns you, try purchasing a prepaid credit card from a variety of sources, e.g. Walmart, and using that for your purchases.

OP
D

DaveH

Reaction score
Good idea, thanks. The thought of a prepaid card didn't occur to me until last night.

dbutters

Reaction score

You don't enter a credit card on your phone. Or at least you don't have to. You can go to your google account on your computer and enter it there. After that you never enter a credit card number for an individual purchase.

If it still concerns you, try purchasing a prepaid credit card from a variety of sources, e.g. Walmart, and using that for your purchases.

Another option your financial institution of choice might offer is the ability to make a one time use CC number to use online - you designate the expiration date and the maximum amount that can be used by this number, and that protects you from being cleaned out by some Romanian hacker who skims your card number from an insecure website. Probably not the most efficient solution for the marketplace, but not a bad thought.