How safe are the kernels we are using?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Nov 2, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Intomobile reported yesterday that there were defects found in HTC Droid Incredible's kernel and it claimed it would be likely the same problem exist in other android phones. HTC Droid Incredible Android kernel has high risk defects

Did you ever question what the apps you were about to install would do in addition to its proclaimed functionality? I did but I find myself helpless in stopping any foul play in that regard. Maybe this is the price we pay for entering the new era.
  2. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Maybe I missed it in the article but aside from a numerical value of how many flaws on the kernel, there is no mention of what any of them are....

scare tactics... it's how the media operates.
  3. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

In the 2nd paragraph,

.... more sensitive information is going in and out of these devices. Because we are becoming more focused on mobile devices, hackers are also taking notice, and vulnerabilities within the core of an OS can lead to hackers gaining access to very sensitive information. Hell, your apps already collect information on you at this point,..
  4. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

hmm i dont use any
  5. Martin030908

I saw this... I was looking for a specific flaw... not a general statement about the mobile OS. This is true for anything that connects to the internet. Data comes in and OUT.
  6. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

meh, i'm not worried.
  7. Martin030908

+1 to this.
  8. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

that is because .... ?
  9. Martin030908

there's nothing out of the ordinary to worry about.
    This article doesn't point out anything new to smartphones....

Like I said, it doesn't site anything specific, just a generalization about data flowing in and out of a mobile OS.
  10. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

This is at best an anecdotal article on kernel issues. These flaws that are spoken of are not just Android specific but shared with a lot of the linux kernel base that is Kernel 2.6.x. In English. No big freakin' deal. Just use the phone will ya?
  11. Martin030908

Thank you dancedroid
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

because the article is not doing anything other than stating the obvious. anything that is connected to the internet can be compromised. that's just a fact of life. common sense goes a long way, especially in a Linux/Android environment. i've said it before and i've said it again, the way linux is structured you almost have to want to install malware and "viruses" on your system/phone in order to get infected. you can download something malicious and without root privilege, it'll sit there wondering what to do. this is not windows where people can design software that can execute on your system without permission. you have to tell your linux box it's ok, and no one can just package a file in an executable and infect your linux box unless you implicitly say "infect me!" sometimes i wonder why/how windows is still around haha, the security holes are gaping.

in short, just use the phone. android is probably one of the safest if not the safest mobile OS out there. does that mean it's bulletproof? no. but if you use common sense when installing third party software, the odds of you getting "infected" are slim to none.
  13. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Simple scare tactics. I have yet to see an Android phone infected with a virus or hacked into from an outside source. When you connect to the internet or use WiFi you are opening yourself up to a variety of possible infiltrations. That does not mean you are going to get infected every time you go online but there is that risk. Its the same as with your home computer. Now granted the Android OS is a lot more stable and secure that our computers but there is always a risk.