How rugid without a case? Is the battery cover moveable?

lettuce chief

Reaction score
To the people that use their Thunderbolt without a case or extended battery...

How does the phone hold up against the outside world?

Does it scratch easily on the edges? Does it get scuffs? ill be useing a screen protector so the screen will be fine.

and, also when i squeeze the battery cover from the sides, it makes a squeaky noise and moves. like not a lot but when i apply pressure it goes in like plastic would. idk. but does this happen to anyone else? is this normal to everyone? or should i go take the advantage to go get a new Tbolt on the 13th day i have it?

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I have no give or squeaky sounds when I squeeze it what-so-ever. Everything is as solid as can be. As for scratches and such, I have none, but I haven't dropped it or anything yet. Seems like the casing is pretty durable but like I said, I haven't really tested it out (and I dont plan to...)

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
L

lettuce chief

Reaction score
I have no give or squeaky sounds when I squeeze it what-so-ever. Everything is as solid as can be. As for scratches and such, I have none, but I haven't dropped it or anything yet. Seems like the casing is pretty durable but like I said, I haven't really tested it out (and I dont plan to...)

Sent from my ADR6400L
ok, and do you all agree that this is a legit cause to go get a new one? i mean do they have to give me a new one? or whats up with that?

also i mean squeeze the battery cover right underneath the volume jack. mine is funky soudning n ****

Last edited:

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Just tried squeezing under the headphones jack, no squeaking. I doubt they'll give you a new one though unless you can prove it is inhibiting performance.

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
L

lettuce chief

Reaction score
lol ill show them that and do you think i can do something o the phone to make it not work right? i mean if i change in phone info to LTE Mode or whatever and not get service i could complain about that. idk. i just dont wanna have to do deal with this noise and uncomfortable hold for the next 2 years. They way i hold it i notice it EVERY time...

oh and not under the headphone jack... under the volume rocker. right underneath it that whole side of battery case, if i squeeze it it squeaks and doesnt stay inside bu pushes towards the battery. its almost like its not all the way on there.

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

Does it scratch easily on the edges? Does it get scuffs? ill be useing a screen protector so the screen will be fine.

and, also when i squeeze the battery cover from the sides, it makes a squeaky noise and moves. like not a lot but when i apply pressure it goes in like plastic would. idk. but does this happen to anyone else? is this normal to everyone? or should i go take the advantage to go get a new Tbolt on the 13th day i have it?

Lol! I use a case with my TB, but without the case off as you've already read, the phone is simply solid. The only beef I have with the phone is....NO not the battery life, but the battery door compartment. This by far is the most challenging battery compartment door that I've ever faced. But according to a review I read, this battery door doesn't have anything on the HTC 4G Insprie.

To simply put it, I have cosmetic damage on the edges of the slit that is suppose to be used to literally pry the battery compartment door away from the phone. Yikes! :icon_eek: The damage came from me using other tools like a credit card used to slide between the door and phone. The other option was to follow the manual and place the phone on a flat surface and pry the door away from the phone, which requires one to pull the phone and door in opposite directions, putting unecessary strain/forces on the phone.

I gladly was willing to take the comestic damage caused by turning a corner of a credit card perpendicular to the slit to pry them apart.

OP
L

lettuce chief

Reaction score
lol, i just wanna know if i can take it back for this and get a new one/new cover? idk what hte prbolem is exactly... but its actually quite annoying. i notice it EVERY time.
but im saying, it is a defect. its not solid. can i use that and combine thati get poopy battery life to get a new one? lol

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I don't know man...you can give it a shot I guess but dont intentionally mess anything up to scam them. I agree though. If your phone is not solid its not normal but if its functioning correctly I don't see that VZW will replace it....

I suppose you could return it for the $35 restocking fee then going to another store (or the same store with a different rep.) And buying it again...

Again, I'm not endorsing any of this, but....

Sent from my ADR6400L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to reseed the battery cover

lol, i just wanna know if i can take it back for this and get a new one/new cover? idk what hte prbolem is exactly... but its actually quite annoying. i notice it EVERY time.
but im saying, it is a defect. its not solid. can i use that and combine thati get poopy battery life to get a new one? lol

Sounds like the VZW rep didn't put the cover on properly or one of the connectors/teeth on the cover are broken. What I would do is take the cover off and look at the back of the phone where the battery cover is loose. Make sure that the battery cover connector/tooth is there. If it's there, reseed the from the bottom of the phone up to the top.

The area of the battery door that gave me the most reseeding problems was the bottom left (if looking at the phone from the back with the battery cover on). I always start with the bottom left, then the bottom right and work my way up with the top center being the last connection to snap.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I don't know man...you can give it a shot I guess but dont intentionally mess anything up to scam them. I agree though. If your phone is not solid its not normal but if its functioning correctly I don't see that VZW will replace it....

I suppose you could return it for the $35 restocking fee then going to another store (or the same store with a different rep.) And buying it again...

Again, I'm not endorsing any of this, but....

Sent from my ADR6400L

If you think something is faulty, no foul play appears to have taken place and VZW can't fix it, they will take the phone back and replace it. The restocking fee applies to those who don't want the phone anymore without something being wrong with it, but doesn't affect those who are simply replacing phones because of defects.

For example, I tried to change my contract from a two year to a one year two days after I bought the phone. Nothing was wrong with the phone and unfortunately for me VZW reps said they had to return the phone because I wanted to change my contract. They told me I would have to pay the $35 restocking fee since nothing was wrong with the phone and they were required to return it, how dumb is that.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
^ I'm well aware of what the restocking fee is all about. I was simply saying that if his phone is a little squeaky but everything works fine, VZW might not be willing to just replace it "no questions asked". The restocking fee was only mentioned because in theory, he could return his tbolt for $35 and then buy another one with the hope that the second one would be better.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
it's all good man

^ I'm well aware of what the restocking fee is all about. I was simply saying that if his phone is a little squeaky but everything works fine, VZW might not be willing to just replace it "no questions asked". The restocking fee was only mentioned because in theory, he could return his tbolt for $35 and then buy another one with the hope that the second one would be better.

Sent from my ADR6400L

The point of me replying to your post was to provide a reference for the OP as to what triggered my response. My intention wasn't to inform you of the $35 restocking fee, although I can see why you concluded that, but to inform the OP that something as small as that can warrant a replacement without a $35 restocking fee because it's defective excluding cosmetic damage outside the screen or camera lens.

However though, I'm definitely in agreement with you that intentionally making things worst then they are with the phone isn't the way to go about it.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

OP (This isn't a attack on you)

You stating that you could wait until the 13th day and take advantage of getting a new TB isn't cool. Not that I personally care about VZW loosing a few bucks, but what if you getting a new TB and 6 months from now the new TB ends up having a serious defect. Is it worth getting a new one if you can live with your current issue?

OP
L

lettuce chief

Reaction score

OP (This isn't a attack on you)

You stating that you could wait until the 13th day and take advantage of getting a new TB isn't cool. Not that I personally care about VZW loosing a few bucks, but what if you getting a new TB and 6 months from now the new TB ends up having a serious defect. Is it worth getting a new one if you can live with your current issue?
well, this phone is smooth as ****.

it wont have problems in 6 months unless i cause them myself. if the replacement one i do get has problems, theyll be identified early on, well within the 30 days i have to go ***** at best buy.

only a small percentage are defective bro... NOT all of them. the chances of getting 2 defective ones are sooo slim.

it also might just be the battery case, which in that case is fine. just give me a new one best buy and its fine.

id actually prefer that, cuz then i wont lose all my settings and ****.

and me going the 13th day is well because thats when im availble to go. i cant go today, sorry?

stuigi

Reaction score

I don't have a case as I use the car dock a lot. The other day, my neighbor wanted to see my phone. She was sitting on a concret porch and when she went to hand it back to me, my Black Lab ran into her and knocked the phone to the ground. (world stops for a second). The phone has a very minor scratch on the kick stand. No other damage. I guesss I dodged a bullet. Glad I bought the insurance though.