How often to sync? One of the hidden battery drains!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by LoneWolfArcher, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +632
    So recently I was disappointed in my Android's (Moto X Gen 1) battery life. With moderate use, I would routinely be close to having no battery left after around 8. Heavy use, of course, could easily get that down to 1 or 2 hours. While using my Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7) I realized that my Hotmail account (it was my first web account and I use it mainly for anything requiring an email address online, a junk email address if you will) was syncing within a couple of minutes of me clearing the notification.

I then realized:

Gmail
    mail.com
    Yahoo mail
    Hotmail
    Work email

All of these were set to very low sync rates (every minute or less even!). Most of us juggle multiple email addresses these days, so most of you can relate. I decided to do an experiment. I set the sync rates on my various email accounts to every hour. Then watched the resting battery consumption of my devices. Both the phone and tablet saw markedly improved battery life! My phone could now go 12 hours or more with moderate usage. The tablet showed a similar 30-35% increase in battery life with moderate use. Heavy use wasn't impacted much if at all with these changes.

Obviously each email address and user is different. But changing the sync rate to a more moderate setting, especially when using 3 or more different email accounts, can greatly benefit you when it comes to battery life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I set all of mine for the maximum length between syncs as I can when I set them up for just this reason.

However, sync really only matters on POP accounts. Gmail and IMAP do/can utilize Push, so the phone itself isn't polling the server for those accounts. With POP accounts, it's up to the phone to check for emails.

3. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I have had that problem solved for a very long time,(I love maximizing my battery). None of my mail accounts so any syncing at all, push or otherwise, unless or until I open them. Obviously that is not a solution that will work for many people but I don't allow my phone to control me, I control it. Even the weather widget doesn't update automatically.

4. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    My phone doesn't CONTROL me, but I definitely like to be sure that I'm up-to-date. I couldn't care less about most of my email accounts, but I'm on the board for my community theatre and I need to stay up on anything that comes up with that, so my main email address is allowed to use push any time it wants. The G Watch comes in handy for simply swiping less important email notifications right out of way until I can check them later.

As for weather, well, I like to know exactly what to expect when I walk outside as well.

As you said though, we all have our own expectations of our devices. I've never had an issue with battery life because of emails and weather, but I've also never let them sync at the quickest of intervals. At the very least, an hour between each sync is more than adequate for my tastes.

5. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    I got rid of Facebook and and Facebook Messenger and that saved me about 25% battery life. Try it. I do what little facebooking I do on a browser.

Try it for a few days. It worked for me.

6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I like the notifications. Sure, I don't always respond to them right away, but I'd rather not have to remember to launch the browser and check Facebook. If there's a little badge on the icon on my homescreen, I'll think to open the app and see what I've missed when I have some spare time.

7. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +632
    I don't Facebook. My battery and life are better for it.

8. grenefroggie

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    I use G+ and Facebook and LinkedIN for networking purposes for business. You can't underestimate the power of social networking to further a career.

I wouldn't say I am better for it, but like anything in life, you are who you surround yourself by. FB is no different.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I went through this summer and removed everyone from Facebook that wasn't an actual friend or family member. It's been amazing ever since, even though they make removing a bunch of people at a time very difficult to do.

I use it to keep in touch with my family and see what my friends back home are up to when the do post. I'm not inundated with even a quarter of the junk that I used to have to deal with just to find a post or picture that I cared to comment on or like.

I've also been proactive in muting posts/invites from games via the desktop version of the site, so I'm not bothered by many of those either. Makes it a casual way to keep in touch rather than a nuisance and a leash. I don't feel like I HAVE to see what's been posted near as often just so I'm not playing serious catch up later when I check in to see what I've missed. I really wish they hadn't buried the "recent post" option in favor of their stupid "trending" or whatever they're trying to force on people, but that's my only real complaint.

• Like Like x 1
  10. grenefroggie

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Just like anything else, if you take the time to do it properly, it works really well. Most people do not know that you can almost make yourself invisible. It has been proven that FB can wreck your life if you let it.

• Like Like x 2