How often should i reboot my droid?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by mfoshee, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mfoshee

mfoshee New Member

I'm just wondering how often i should turn my phone off and turn it back on? I know on some phones it is bad to leave your phone on for too long I was just wondering if anyone experienced any problems from leaving their phone running for too long?
  2. mudpro69

mudpro69 New Member

Although I am not the foremost expert, I believe the phone should be rebooted when you change something to the ROM (or when propmted). Other than that you shouldn't "have" to reboot it...

Correct me if I'm wrong....
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

OK, I will.:) Just kidding. I think that sometimes the phone will start to lag and when you see that happening a simple reset of the phone will get it right back to speed. Initially I started doing it daily when I got up, kind of like a battery pull on a blackberry but I found that didn't necessarily make things better. Now I just wait for lagging. A long time accessing a web site for example. And then I do a reset and everything is fine.

But for the most part there shouldn't be a regular reset, you're absolutely right about that.
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah you guys are right, I'm pretty sure. This phone is not like a BlackBerry, AT ALL....it really doesn't need it...unless you can tell performance is beginning to slack, which shouldn't be much honestly...this phone is pretty powerful.

And to think that before I got my Droid, I was torn between it and the Storm2!!!!! That makes me cringe that I was that close to getting the Storm2 rather than this BEAST....but I had the Storm1 at the time and I honestly had no idea what the Droid was capable of....you have no idea, how grateful I am that I luckily made the decision that I did....
  5. mapexvenus

mapexvenus New Member

I reboot once every 2 days.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

That's why I always so the people that most appreciate the Droid are ex Storm users. I did have the Storm 2 for a bit and it is an improvement over the Storm 1 but the Droid just smokes it.
  7. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan New Member

With any OS, it never hurts to reboot after an install. And it often helps.
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

No real need unless you're having problems.

My 8310 never needed battery pulls either. :D
  9. mfoshee

mfoshee New Member

thanks guys
  10. Jehu

Jehu New Member

I'm very new to the Droid phone. I just picked mine up a few days ago. However...

I'm not new to programming. I still have yet to see an operating system that's impervious to memory leaks. "Memory Leaking" is a term for a common programming error in which the application allocates memory for a purpose but fails to dis-allocate it when it's done using that portion of memory. If you never run a program with memory leaks then you could go weeks without any deterioration in performance. If you have an application that has them, you may find yourself rebooting the system regularly.

I hope that helps.
  11. Vagrent

Vagrent New Member

I had upgraded from a Razr2 to the blackberry curve and was wowed at what i could do and was about to get the storm2 when the FRIENDLY REP suggested a droid, Im damn glad i listened to him that day.
  12. mantis5

mantis5 New Member

I find that I am restarting the Droid about every 4 or 5 days, either because it is becoming sluggish or because it develops some issue. Today I was driving and had it in my hoodie pocket; when I got home, it was very warm and then it suddenly lost all signal. Restart cured it.

I have also wondered about memory leaks.
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I only reboot if I run into a problem. I have no schedule. Can go days/weeks without one... :)
  14. beneharris

beneharris New Member

yeah i agree, eventually your going to need to reset just like on a computer to free up your memory
  15. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

I do a Shift + Alt+ Delete when I sense the Droid is lagging a bit in speed or responsiveness. I find this could be once every few days to once every week depending on what I've been doing with it and how many applications I've been playing around with.
  16. kcluggish

kcluggish New Member

I've had mine since early December. A couple of weeks after purchased it, I had just fully charged it and a couple of hours later (no usage) I got a warning that I needed to charge it. Which I did. The same thing happened a couple of hours later, again no usage. My battery showed the battery charge in the red. I rebooted the Droid and low and behold - 100% charged. This seems to happen about once a month. It seems it periodically needs rebooted or it misreads the battery charge. Has anyone else had this happen. I'm not a heavy user and do not have a lot of apps installed.
  17. coryh83

coryh83 New Member

i have no schedule only when it starts running "slow". even when this thing lags it run faster then any other phone I have seen.
  18. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

Althiugh prob unnecessary but I do everytime I delete, install or uninstall something. Music, videos, apps, etc
  19. Aybara

Aybara New Member

I got my droid at 7:05am release day... I have done many processor heavy applications, etc... I have gone a full month without having to turn off my phone without having any lag issues. All you need is to have a good "kill" program.

Try this: Go install the app "Advanced task killer" and when you experience some lag, run that program and kill all apps. after that the phone will run like it just rebooted. You can test the speed change by also using the app "CPU Benchmark" and test your response speeds.

The thing I find that kills speed is how many apps can start running without you even knowing it. I wish there was a 'msconfig' type app where you could select the startup type apps so you didnt have apps always self loading like the 'voice dialer' app, or the 'gmail' app etc... apps that I absolutely never use are always running it seems and that is a big lag to the system.
  20. Cmmsh

Cmmsh New Member

Just got my Droid on the 5th. Same thing happened to me Wednesday ... alas, my first reboot. So, for me, just one reboot in two weeks.
Search tags for this page

how often restart android

how often should i reboot my android

how often should i reboot my android phone

how often should i reboot my droid

how often should i reboot my phone
how often should i reset my android

how often should i restart my android

how often should i restart my android phone

how often should i restart my phone
how often should you reboot your phone
how often to reboot android phone