How often should i reboot my droid?

mfoshee

Reaction score
I'm just wondering how often i should turn my phone off and turn it back on? I know on some phones it is bad to leave your phone on for too long I was just wondering if anyone experienced any problems from leaving their phone running for too long?

mudpro69

Reaction score
Although I am not the foremost expert, I believe the phone should be rebooted when you change something to the ROM (or when propmted). Other than that you shouldn't "have" to reboot it...

Correct me if I'm wrong....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although I am not the foremost expert, I believe the phone should be rebooted when you change something to the ROM (or when propmted). Other than that you shouldn't "have" to reboot it...

Correct me if I'm wrong....

OK, I will.:) Just kidding. I think that sometimes the phone will start to lag and when you see that happening a simple reset of the phone will get it right back to speed. Initially I started doing it daily when I got up, kind of like a battery pull on a blackberry but I found that didn't necessarily make things better. Now I just wait for lagging. A long time accessing a web site for example. And then I do a reset and everything is fine.

But for the most part there shouldn't be a regular reset, you're absolutely right about that.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah you guys are right, I'm pretty sure. This phone is not like a BlackBerry, AT ALL....it really doesn't need it...unless you can tell performance is beginning to slack, which shouldn't be much honestly...this phone is pretty powerful.

And to think that before I got my Droid, I was torn between it and the Storm2!!!!! That makes me cringe that I was that close to getting the Storm2 rather than this BEAST....but I had the Storm1 at the time and I honestly had no idea what the Droid was capable of....you have no idea, how grateful I am that I luckily made the decision that I did....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah you guys are right, I'm pretty sure. This phone is not like a BlackBerry, AT ALL....it really doesn't need it...unless you can tell performance is beginning to slack, which shouldn't be much honestly...this phone is pretty powerful.

And to think that before I got my Droid, I was torn between it and the Storm2!!!!! That makes me cringe that I was that close to getting the Storm2 rather than this BEAST....but I had the Storm1 at the time and I honestly had no idea what the Droid was capable of....you have no idea, how grateful I am that I luckily made the decision that I did....

That's why I always so the people that most appreciate the Droid are ex Storm users. I did have the Storm 2 for a bit and it is an improvement over the Storm 1 but the Droid just smokes it.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
With any OS, it never hurts to reboot after an install. And it often helps.

Jehu

Reaction score
I'm very new to the Droid phone. I just picked mine up a few days ago. However...

I'm not new to programming. I still have yet to see an operating system that's impervious to memory leaks. "Memory Leaking" is a term for a common programming error in which the application allocates memory for a purpose but fails to dis-allocate it when it's done using that portion of memory. If you never run a program with memory leaks then you could go weeks without any deterioration in performance. If you have an application that has them, you may find yourself rebooting the system regularly.

I hope that helps.

Vagrent

Reaction score

I had upgraded from a Razr2 to the blackberry curve and was wowed at what i could do and was about to get the storm2 when the FRIENDLY REP suggested a droid, Im damn glad i listened to him that day.

mantis5

Reaction score
I find that I am restarting the Droid about every 4 or 5 days, either because it is becoming sluggish or because it develops some issue. Today I was driving and had it in my hoodie pocket; when I got home, it was very warm and then it suddenly lost all signal. Restart cured it.

I have also wondered about memory leaks.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I only reboot if I run into a problem. I have no schedule. Can go days/weeks without one... :)

beneharris

Reaction score
I'm very new to the Droid phone. I just picked mine up a few days ago. However...

I'm not new to programming. I still have yet to see an operating system that's impervious to memory leaks. "Memory Leaking" is a term for a common programming error in which the application allocates memory for a purpose but fails to dis-allocate it when it's done using that portion of memory. If you never run a program with memory leaks then you could go weeks without any deterioration in performance. If you have an application that has them, you may find yourself rebooting the system regularly.

I hope that helps.
yeah i agree, eventually your going to need to reset just like on a computer to free up your memory

DroidFan

Reaction score
I do a Shift + Alt+ Delete when I sense the Droid is lagging a bit in speed or responsiveness. I find this could be once every few days to once every week depending on what I've been doing with it and how many applications I've been playing around with.