How often do you "Ok Google Now"

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I remember reading before this was coming out that all the touchless OK Google Now stuff was processed in the phone processor, ie, you didn't need an Internet connection for it to work except for things that actually need to access the Internet. For example, if you said "OK Google now, text XY" it would just process the command in one of those onboard processors and set up the text message.

But, I've noticed that instead what happens is that it goes onto the web and then processes the command. In fact, of you go on the web and look at your search history, every single Google Now command you had spoken is there. So my concern is that you incur data charges for ANY Google Now command you speak, whether it's just to call someone or use the GPS Navigation, etc. (Also a concern is that of course Google is data mining you). And this is especially expensive if you are overseas and using the command not knowing that you are getting data charges.

unless, of course, I'm missing something....anyone have thoughts on this?

boNes

As I understand it, local voice processing is only performed on the low-power core that is always listening for you to say "OK Google Now" and distinguish your specific voice. After it detects your specific voice saying the launch phrase, it wakes the rest of the phone and hands things off to Google Now itself, which processes the actual voice commands server-side. The processing power needed to do this is far too intensive to do it all locally on currently available hardware. So it's a combination of both local, low-power processing and server-side, high-power processing at work.

I understand the concern about data charges (although very little bandwidth is used to transmit each query), but if you're afraid of data mining then you really shouldn't be using Android or any Google service for that matter, as their entire business model is based on it. ;)

clintro

Reaction score
All the time.... Mostly to show off to my friends... Lol

Alarm, open apps, general searches.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Also works for navigation. Example: Ok Google now, navigate home.

This is how I use it most of all. Love it, because my car has Bluetooth and it connects immediately upon getting in the car. Since I carry the phone most often in my shirt pocket, I simply tell it to Navigate to (a particular address), and it starts all without ever touching it. :biggrin:

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
Here is a graphic that shows some more commands. I personally have used it to find restaurants close to my location if I'm in an area of town I don't really know to well. For example I've said "okay Google now, where is the closest subway?" I then got results with how far away they are from my current location and can activate gps navigation to the desired location
View attachment 68351

Bosh

Reaction score
I use "Ok Google Now" quite often actually.. to me it's one of the features that set this phone apart from the rest of the pack.
Mostly use it in the car for navigation or making phone calls. You can send completely hands free text messages without even the need to take your eyes off the road.
I was fishing the other day and had my Maxx in my tackle bag. My phone had went into driving mode because my boat was moving. I got a text message and Motorola assist asked if I would like the text read to me. Anyway, I had a conversation via text message without taking my phone out of the bag with my wet hands. Very cool.

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
I use mine all the time to text while driivng, check weather, change songs. etc. I use it a whole lot actually.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use it all the time as well. Mostly for navigation but also for restaurants, shopping centers to get hours, googling things I need answers to while driving and even when not driving. It's actually faster and easier than typing the text in manually. I also use it to text message while driving and don't even need to take the phone out of my Pocket! It's awesome! Haven't used it yet for song selection. I'll have to try that one.

I've had it reading texts to me and someone said something a little off-color in the text. I was at a tragic light with the driver's window down and a police officer was in the car to my left... also with his window down. I got the funniest look from him when the phone repeated the text in a sexy voice... embarrassing! Lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LOL Awkward!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Tell me about it! "She" was trying to do it on purpose!! That's even funnier! Also, it wasn't just a little off-color...it was actually off the deep end! :icon_eek: (in a good way, LOL!). It's a wonder he didn't pull me over and ask "her" to step out of the car! Of course, he couldn't see "her" (since obviously "she" wasn't in the car), so I can imagine what he was REALLY thinking! LOL!

Last edited:

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
Why do keep doing "her"? Was it really a man? :p

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Why do keep doing "her"? Was it really a man? :p

:blink: Now, let me make one thing PERFECTLY clear... None of that here! It WAS/IS a girl...and that's all I'm saying.