How much will the Verizon iPhone affect Android?

If Verizon offers an iPhone will you buy one?

• Never, I'm Android for life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely, been waiting for it

• Depends on <insert reason here>

• Keep it on AT&T!

• Undecided

• Total voters

rjpear

Reaction score
apple-vs-android-verizon-iphone.jpg

So the rumors are that Verizon and Apple will be bringing an iPhone with CDMA capabilities to the Verizon network. Possibly an LTE version to follow later in 2011 as well with the 5th generation refresh. We've seen quite a few articles that say this could be a really bad sign for Android. We've seen the reports that say up to 23% of AT&T users would jump ship to Verizon if they had the iPhone. But what does that mean for Verizon's Android users? Even Slashdot has a lively discussion going on about this very issue.

The world is abuzz with Apple and Google battling it out for the future of not just the smartphone platform, but the tablet and even the television. Newsweek is talking about it. We've talked about it.

Well, we figured the best place to find that out would be here. The virtual Lions Den of Android using Verizon customers: DroidForums.net. If any figure out there can tell us what impact the iPhone coming to Verizon will have, this would be the place. We've got a huge base of both light users as well as hard core Android Hackers, Rommers and Themers coming to this place every day. We should be able to get a pretty broad guesstimate as to what might happen if and when the iPhone ever really does come.

To find out we are going to put up a poll and we ask that as many members as possible participate in it and give us their honest truth. In 3 months time if there were an iPhone available on the Verizon network and you were up for your New Every 2 and the price point was equivalent to the latest and greatest Android phone at that time: Would you switch?

Please let us know by participating in the poll. If you have any friends that are using Android with Verizon and they aren't a member yet, please ask them to register and take part in our little poll here.

Thanks for your time and remember, this place will always be hardcore Android!

(Sorry for the monster edit here, we had a little accident with the merged threads and thus I had to over-write your post)

funkylovemonkey

Reaction score
CNN calls out the Wallstreet Journal saying "But in this week's item -- as with the story last March -- the reporters never actually call it a Verizon iPhone. Instead, it's "Verizon-ready," "based on an alternative technology ... used by Verizon" and being produced on a schedule "that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year. Why the ambiguity? We suspect it's because the reporters don't actually know that Verizon will ever get the new phone. There are plenty of other carriers in the U.S. and overseas that could use a CDMA iPhone, and Apple could be building it for them.

It's pretty clear that the Journal has been spoon fed these stories. What's not so clear is why."

The iphone would have to be pretty impressive for me to ever switch. I mean a front facing camera is nice but I imagine by the time I'm up for another phone there will be plenty of android phones that also do the job. With all the apple apps that are migrating to Android (Angry Birds!) I don't see a compelling case to move. Besides, I like my widgets too much.

That being said, I think Google really needs to kick into gear in certain areas if they are going to directly compete with the iPhone on Verizon. I personally am not a fan of itunes, but it does help people who aren't computer savvy to do things like transfer files to their iphone without knowing how to open up a drive and look through a a directory tree. I'm talking about the broader audience, people like my mom who gets nervous every time she has to do anything beyond checking email. From what I've heard about improvements to chrometophone and google music, it looks like Google is working on it. But I think they really need put some serious resources behind it. With a few other tweaks here and there like to the media player I think most android phones will be superior to the iphone in the coming year.

calpilot7

Reaction score
If the new Verizon iPhone is crappy CDMA only then there is no way I would switch to it. To go back to the iPhone I need LTE and a big 4 inch plus screen like my Droid X. No LTE capability and no big screen then NO DEAL!!!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If the new Verizon iPhone is crappy CDMA only then there is no way I would switch to it. To go back to the iPhone I need LTE and a big 4 inch plus screen like my Droid X. No LTE capability and no big screen then NO DEAL!!!!!

...the DX isn't LTE either.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I was a maybe person - I own an iPod Touch and have many paid apps on it I love and would love to transfer to my phone. On the other hand I have not turned on my Touch since getting my Droid so apparently they are not that important to me. Apples products are good and well conceived. I use Windows and Droid mostly because I like the ability to make my own decisions. If the android phones continue to take choice away then there will be no difference and an iPhone will become a potential choice. Sad...

calpilot7

Reaction score

...the DX isn't LTE either.

That's right.... which is one of the REASONS I LIST THAT WOULD MAKE ME NOT WANT TO SWITCH. The Droid X is my LAST NON LTE PHONE. CDMA DIES.

everstar80

Reaction score
I think the iphone and apple sucks. The brief time that i had the phone it was horrible and i couldn't make a call at all or receive calls because they all dropped. I understand big red wanting to expand their demographic but this is too much. They are stretching themselves out too far without focusing on their good phones and producing a few good devices and vimproving on them. And as far as at&t goes, i want none of their sloppy seconds.

Fault

Reaction score
Guys I got official inside word. Verizon iphone comes out the same day as starcraft ghost

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
I promise you...if that nice EVO looking phone comes to verizon Im game for like 2 years...I will always sign up for 1 year though...No need for a 2 year contract anymore...I like new phones every year!

android15

Reaction score
let me think...

no USb tethering...
no Wifi thethering...
no custom roms....

yeah gl with that lol

There's tethering on an iPhone lol..You just have to jailbreak it like you root your droid for wifi tethering

But the custom roms are a big plus to owning a droid. That would probably be a deal breaker for me.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
i used to want a iphone, but now i have a droid. look at our droids compared to the iphone. that thing is just ugly, and can do a lot less. no thanks.

magdream

Reaction score
i used to want a iphone, but now i have a droid. look at our droids compared to the iphone. that thing is just ugly, and can do a lot less. no thanks.

one thing the iphone isn't, is ugly. though I don't really have an interest in one. still happy with my D1. next phone will be lte.

crackedvenom

Reaction score

one thing the iphone isn't, is ugly. though I don't really have an interest in one. still happy with my D1. next phone will be lte.

Should have rephrased that. I love how the phone looks, i hate the icons. Im also on my d1 and idk if i will change before lte. We have so many different roms and themes.

magdream

Reaction score
though I will say that I prefer the iphone's screen ratio better. a 3.75-4 inch screen at that ratio would be really sweet. the 16x9 thing that droids (or at least the D1) doesn't work for me.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
though I will say that I prefer the iphone's screen ratio better. a 3.75-4 inch screen at that ratio would be really sweet. the 16x9 thing that droids (or at least the D1) doesn't work for me.

Yeah, i like their ratio too. I had a touch, a year or so back, and liked the screen size.