How much will the Verizon iPhone affect Android?

If Verizon offers an iPhone will you buy one?

• Never, I'm Android for life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely, been waiting for it

• Depends on <insert reason here>

• Keep it on AT&T!

• Undecided

• Total voters

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The latest article on the web is saying that people who buy Iphone holders are having the glass on the back break because even a grain of sand scratches it to the point of breakage.

Doesn't matter though I won't ever buy an apple product - they are for people who have no computer skills.

Or for people who don't want a 500 page manual on how to run software. You couldn't be more wrong in your statement though. Mac's have some of the best editing software out. Go to pretty much any college IT program and they are using Mac's. You said you would never buy an apple product and then say they are for people with no computer skills? How would you know that if you have never had anything by Apple? Because people just believe whatever they read without actually researching it for themselves.

cowboy

Reaction score
I bought my droid 1 in march because at the time it was the best verizon had to offer. This was also before I really understood open source and rooting and all that good stuff. Shortly after I bought it I found this forum and have learned to turn my phone into a toy in a way. I customize it how I want. But back in march not knowing of these things if Verizon had the iPhone I would have bought it. Now with these major companies taking steps to ensure people don't root and locking down our phones more and more, I think it puts the iPhone on a more level playing field with android phones. If another phones comes out truly as open as my droid 1, I would get it in a heartbeat over the iPhone. But if we get to the point where our phones are just as locked down as the iPhone is I would definitely consider buying the iPhone!

I hope, that if the trend of locking down continues, that Meego picks up speed in the &quot;Civilized&quot; world, and that a decent (LTE/CDMA) Nokia makes it to this side of the pond.

I've been a moto owner for many years (pre-razr), and they can make a hell of a handset, but if they're going to be so beholden to the failure that is the US telecom industry, then I'll vote with my wallet... But not for a product that is even more restrictive than the DX/D2 ...

Hell, I'm hoping my D1 last a long, long time, because it'll be that long before something better comes along.

diverbelow

Reaction score
I wouldn't get one, but if this did happen, I would seriously consider switching from Verizon to Sprint. Verizon will not be able to handle the traffic if and when this happens, and the 3G and 4G networks will be so ridiculously bogged down by both Apple and Android that it will be a disaster.

Plus, keep the snobby schmucks on AT&T. I don't care for those d-bags sharing my network.

Judging by your words I think I can guess with a high probability what choice on the poll you took ;)

To sum it up: Not only do you not want the iPhone on Verizon, you don't want the iPhone airwaves touching your airwaves :)
What gave it away?!?!
:icon_cool:

I almost voted for: "Never, I'm Android for life" but saw "Keep it on AT&T!" and voted for that.
Or wait until Google Voice gets VoIP enabled to have the iPhone on VZW and then will cancel my VZW contract and get a data only plan with TMO!

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
I'm over seas and have a iPhone. due to rotate to the states in about 20 days. I cant wait to get a Droid X. I hate the iPhone, Hate iTunes even more. i cant do any thing with out iTunes. The only reason I have a iPhone is because it was handed down to me jail broke and GSM unlocked so I can use Sim cards from any country and use Skype when we pull in to a port.

"Hell no, apple blows!"
"Hell no, apple blows!"

a44kaliburll i'm chanting right there with you

yeah yeah big ron hittin it!

cerebrix

Reaction score
im going to school with the goal of working on apple platform applications.

so for me its a no brainer. at&t is a terrible company and i refuse to do business with them on principal. im actually moving in February because at&t is the only internet option where i live.

ios is a good platform with great tools and a really mature sdk. also fantastic developer support.

google's developer support is ok, but its nowhere near in the same class as what apple is offering. as a developer, i also look at the fact that apple customers spend a ton more money on apps than android owners. by such a margin that i wont even look at the android sdk. its quite literally, not worth my time.

Valvoline

Reaction score
i live and die by my droid X. I would maybe just buy an apple just to crush it and replace it with an android, just to get one apple of the shelves!

:motdroidvert:
FlyX
Nextheme

Valvoline

Reaction score
I wouldn't get one, but if this did happen, I would seriously consider switching from Verizon to Sprint. Verizon will not be able to handle the traffic if and when this happens, and the 3G and 4G networks will be so ridiculously bogged down by both Apple and Android that it will be a disaster.

Plus, keep the snobby schmucks on AT&T. I don't care for those d-bags sharing my network.

good points. the evo is bad ass too

gmorgan056

Reaction score
No I wouldn't switch. My father, mother, and brother in law all have I phones and they're a pain. I've used it, I even have an Ipod Touch, I still prefer my Droid 10-1.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
CNN quotes the new wall street journal the link I posted above... and there's no other source. Well unless you count "people".

I wonder if a lot of people at these other sites (fox, cnn, etc) who have iPhone are tired of what they have and want an iPhone on another network with different technology so it will actually work... so they repost these rumors. [um... how about an Android phone... ] They figure the WSJ is a good source... will since they can't actually mention a name, they're not a good source.

I could do that "people said that Android phones will take over and iPhones will be in museums. So buy stock in Android phones."

who are the people? Me, myself and I.

Darkseider

Reaction score
im going to school with the goal of working on apple platform applications.

so for me its a no brainer. at&t is a terrible company and i refuse to do business with them on principal. im actually moving in February because at&t is the only internet option where i live.

ios is a good platform with great tools and a really mature sdk. also fantastic developer support.

google's developer support is ok, but its nowhere near in the same class as what apple is offering. as a developer, i also look at the fact that apple customers spend a ton more money on apps than android owners. by such a margin that i wont even look at the android sdk. its quite literally, not worth my time.

That's a shame. The Android app market is expanding exponentially and with the upcoming Android tablets as well as Google TV the market will grow at a much faster pace. Also Android owners do spend money on apps but only those worth spending money on. Which is why there are only a few apps that make good money and a bunch of paid apps that make NONE. Titanium Backup, SlideIT, Swift Key, GOOD games, GOOD productivity apps, GOOD email apps. Sure we will spend money on them so long as they are good.

sarsen

Reaction score
I'm not interested in an iPhone. Now, if it had a replaceable battery and flash enabled, I might consider it.

Do I think there will be an impact? Sure. Apple has successfully sold the iPhone as a status symbol. Things that appeal to the tech geek in me are not going to appeal to most women or man looking for the cache of an apple branded product.

Droidfish

Reaction score
....we will spend money on them so long as they are good.

Amen. This is basic economics and it bugs me when people say android users are cheap. Your product will go for the cost it deserves and the market and demand will determine that. I know a lot of work goes into development but all products are only worth what consumers will pay for them, Period

JDLUKE

Reaction score
Once you've had the customization and performance of a Droid, I won't even consider the iPhone.