How much free memory on idle?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by razorseal, Sep 7, 2010.

1. razorseal

razorseal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When your phone has been running for a while, and then check to see how much memory is free right after wakeup from sleep/screen off, how much memory do you usually have? Mine's always 20-30, usually around 25... I think that's VERY low. and just so many pointless apps are running...

I'm just curious how much free memory u have

I have those memfree programs and they don't do JACK, it runs on agressive too

2. cyates

cyates New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine hovers around 30 meg free. Many android programs start at boot and result in a service running in the background doing nothing.

Go to Settings->Applications->Running Services and take a look.

Also any widgets you have will also consume memory.

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't use Chevy's ROM's but I wouldn't think that I'd be concerned about how much free memory I had on any Droid. Let Droid worry about that, I don't need to.

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    qft! :)

5. razorseal

razorseal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I should mention this has nothing to do with chevy's rom actually... it's like this on all roms. I just posted it here since I'm used to posting here lol...

it's just that when it starts to run low on memory (low 20s) everything starts to seriously lag onthe phone. like the phone will vibrate for 5 seconds before the screen comes up and it starts to ring when someone is calling me... or gmail app will take 10 seconds to load the email when I open it etc etc.

more of an android issue then chevy rom really

6. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have the exact same problem. I'm just hoping that some new innovation comes out soon that makes it fly like it used to outta the box.

7. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well the red part on the left will always grow, apparently, as JIT keeps adding to it...for the free stuff, i usually always have "0+~20mb" free after a day or so (after a reboot it starts at like 50-60mb free)

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well seeing that you are rooted there is a wonderful FREE app out there called MinFree. I suggest you download this bugger and give it a spin, you'd be surprised.

9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Correlation is not causation. In hick terms, just because lunch comes after breakfast everyday does not mean breakfast causes lunch. The slow down in your phone is not a function of how much memory is free.

Android will free up any amount of memory it needs to "on-the-fly". So even if you check and see 25 megs free, android can still load and run an app that needed 30 megs (if there was such a beast!!). Your lag is probably caused by a rouge app you have loaded or improper settings.

Take a few minutes and do an advanced search, titles only for "slow" and you will get a world of info on how to resolve this issue.

10. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    but the bigger the red bar grows, stuff that can't be killed by the system (mine has been upwards of 100mb before, but usually gets up to around 85mb), the less free ram your phone has to work with, and the more swapping and closing it has to do, which is how i perceive the lag as well. i'm almost temped to turn JIT back off and see what that does...from what i've read, JIT sacrifices memory for performance. but it seems that only works for a few days and then needs to be reset.

11. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have that min free manager. It is nice, I switch between Mild and Aggressive when things start to get slow again. It seems to work really well when the changes are first made by it, but eventually the effects of it seem to wear off, and it'll get sluggish again. This always happens, though the time it takes to get this way can vary. Might be too many Widgets on my home screens or something I guess?? Or some kinda settings somewhere that I would have no idea where. I had 10 Widgets a few weeks ago, then went down to 8 once I did that launcher pro fix where you edit that local.prop file. Though I still do get redraws from time to time.

12. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    10 widgets!? 8 Widgets? DAMN! I have 5 Widgets and that's it. Maybe that explains a few things. I have my Sense like Weather Widget from the market, Google Search, one picture frame, power widget and media player widget. Remember widgets = memory gluttons, especially those that are actively updating and changing.

13. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea I got rid of the YouTube widget and another one I can't think of. The only one that updates is the news and weather one I'm pretty sure. The rest are like the tempmonitor widget, SetCPU, music playlist, mini info, audiomanager, airplane mode widget, cache cleaner and cachemate for root users. Now those last 2, usually when I use cachemate, it frees up 10MB and cachecleaner will free another 1-4MB usually. I use them a couple times a day, and it seems to speed the phone up a lot right away. Then eventually it'll again get bogged down. Not sure what all that space is coming from....the browser's cache probably?? Wish it would permanently flush the cache on the fly to keep the phone speedy.

Oh yea, I almost forgot about the power control widget.

14. razorseal

razorseal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    all I have is beautiful widgets, power settings (or w/e its called) widget and a widget that shows the status of battery, mem, int/ext mem and temp. oh and setcpu

that's it!

Perhaps I do have a rogue app, I don't know... maybe I need to start fresh and add apps one at a time. thing is I only have apps that I regularly use so.

I don't know, everything is just so sluggish that it's embarassing to show someone the capabitiles of the phone because it takes SOOO long to load. I had to call someone today and it literally took close to 10 seconds to make the call

15. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you're still curious, do some reading up on JIT. from what i've read, that is the cause of the gradual slowdown in performance. its basically taking instructions or code that it executes frequently, and storing it in memory, to theoretically boost performance.

also, have you tried cleaning dalvik cache?

Search tags for this page
android idle memory usage
how much idle ram android
how much idle ram should be on note 2
how much memory should be used at idle android
how much ram should be used at idle
idle memory for android

idle ram android

ram android idle

ram idle in phones

what is idle memory android