How much free memory do you have

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I run a ton of widgets on my screen and my free memory is always around 35M.

I'm using ATK to get that number.

I don't know if there is a better program that will show me a more accurate number but would having a ton of widgets reduce my memory?

tktouch12

Reaction score
If I kill everything besides weather widgets-donate and pure grid calendar widget I'm at around 95. But it drops right away. I wish I could hav more

Guchi

Reaction score
would it be possible to have it cache some of the stuff that is always in the memory onto the storage mem or sd to free up memory? similar to Readyboost on my PC

tktouch12

Reaction score
I think there is (or will be soon) a way to use your sd as a swap memory but idk how. Anyone know?

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well Launcher2 just FC'd me and I was at 96k, then when I opened everything back up I was back to 35k.

Is this unusual?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not sure, No need to worry about it IMHO....

brochaos

Reaction score
is there a way to check free mem without installing anything?

why are people so bent on having free ram? you do realize ram is pointless if nothing is in it right? you actually want your ram to be almost full all the time...

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
Do you mean>settings>SD card & phone storage?

Mine is:
SDcard
Total space: 14.93GB
Available space: 13.84GB

Internal phone storage:
Available space:
154MB

Pueo

Reaction score
I'm using ATK and my numbers match your findings. When I kill the apps I do not notice any difference in other running app speeds or my browser download times. I agree w/ Blacknblack no need worry.

iPirate

Reaction score
Do you mean>settings>SD card & phone storage?

Mine is:
SDcard
Total space: 14.93GB
Available space: 13.84GB

Internal phone storage:
Available space:
154MB
Mine is:
SDcard
Total space: 14.83GB
Available space: 14.54GB

Internal phone storage:
Available space:
212MB

I see some people going nuts with these app killers and trying to optimize ram, why bother? The most I do is back out of an app to the home screen, my battery is fine, runs fast as ever and i'm living a less stressful life not worry about ram and apps running lol

Last edited:

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

why are people so bent on having free ram? you do realize ram is pointless if nothing is in it right? you actually want your ram to be almost full all the time...

I don't quite understand the logic in this, but I'm willing to listen to an argument that supports it.

Anyway, I only look at my free mem (using ATK) when I start to experience lag. When that happens, it's always at or below 35MB. I hit Kill, and it usually jumps to 70MB or more and the lagging stops completely. I'm not sure why, because from what I understand it shouldn't be that way, but alas, it is for me. I chalk it up to beta apps running.

brochaos

Reaction score

I don't quite understand the logic in this, but I'm willing to listen to an argument that supports it.

Anyway, I only look at my free mem (using ATK) when I start to experience lag. When that happens, it's always at or below 35MB. I hit Kill, and it usually jumps to 70MB or more and the lagging stops completely. I'm not sure why, because from what I understand it shouldn't be that way, but alas, it is for me. I chalk it up to beta apps running.

it's easier and faster for the OS to access RAM than it is anything else. try reading this link: Coding Horror: Why Does Vista Use All My Memory?