How much free internal storage needed for OG Droid?

edmicman

Reaction score
I've got an original Droid, stock Android (2.2, whatever Verizon's pushed out so far). Is there a "minimum" recommended amount of internal storage I should have free to have the phone work in a good responsive manner?

Basically it's starting to feel a little long in the tooth. It says it has ~50MB of internal storage free, and like 14GB on the SD card. Any apps I have that have the option to move to SD I've done. But I still experience a good deal of lag - sometimes Facebook will blank out to a white screen for some seconds before it loads, and often after returning to the home screen all of the icons will disappear and it will hang for a bit with just the background before it draws the icons. The only widget on my homescreen is the Google Calendar one.

Is there some sort of minimum amount of internal free space the phone needs to run smoothly? It seems like it gets worse the more apps I'll install, and that it was better when it was closer to 60 or 70 MB free. But I've pared back what I have installed to pretty much what I use on a regular basis and thought I'd ask.

Hah, it's all part of the 2-year upgrade plan!

DROOIID

Reaction score
Are you rooted? If so download titanium backup. Then go into batch, and move all user apps to SD. This will move apps even if they say they can't be moved in the regular settings. This should help

*edit. Just reread and saw that you said "stock" lol. Root then do what I said

Al Neri

Reaction score
I don't root (too advanced for me) and I am having the same issues. Still works but much slower. I noticed it after the last update.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
The issue probably has to do more with free ram and not free memory. In application click running services and tell me how much ram is free. And what programs/services are running.

Android doesn't act like a PC where you need a certain amount of free memory for it to run correctly. You may have programs running in the background that aren't needed.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
E

edmicman

Reaction score
The issue probably has to do more with free ram and not free memory. In application click running services and tell me how much ram is free. And what programs/services are running.

Android doesn't act like a PC where you need a certain amount of free memory for it to run correctly. You may have programs running in the background that aren't needed.

Thanks!

Under running services I see:
51MB in 3 Avail: 15MB + 51MB in 7

At the moment things seem to be running snappy enough. Earlier I saw the Avail number bouncing between 9 and 11MB.

Running services are:
Launcher
Google Voice - Update Service
Google Services Framework - Google Messaging Service
Maps - NetworkLocationService
Music - ArtDownloadService and Downloadmanager$-something
Calendar Storage
Email - SyncManager
Android Keyboard - Android keyboard

Under manage applications > running applications:
Facebook
Gmail
Tweetdeck
Maps
Music
Slacker
Google voice
Dialer Storage
Contacts Storage
Email
Settings
Calendar storage
...and then a handful of piddly ones that look like native Android stuff.

I'd be OK with not having Slacker and Maps running in the background always...I wonder if there's a way to turn them off? Probably Google Music could be shut off, too.

Back to the RAM above - how much should be free for a good performance? Thanks for the advice!

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Yeah that's your problem. If you have 7-11 MB free your phone will run very slow.

Unfortunately, not sure I can help you much more. My phone is rooted and I only have 5 services running with 45mb free. You should be able to force close a lot of those programs and the phone.will run fine however they may just come back.

The benefit of rooting and roms is that it disables those unnessary programs from always running and taking up mem.

For example, I use Facebook and I get notifications and all, but its only running when I have the application open. No need for it to constantly be running.

I really recommend looking In to rooting. A rooted Droid can still compete with many of the stock phones out now. It isn't hard to do at all.

DROOIID

Reaction score
Yeah that's your problem. If you have 7-11 MB free your phone will run very slow.

Unfortunately, not sure I can help you much more. My phone is rooted and I only have 5 services running with 45mb free. You should be able to force close a lot of those programs and the phone.will run fine however they may just come back.

The benefit of rooting and roms is that it disables those unnessary programs from always running and taking up mem.

For example, I use Facebook and I get notifications and all, but its only running when I have the application open. No need for it to constantly be running.

I really recommend looking In to rooting. A rooted Droid can still compete with many of the stock phones out now. It isn't hard to do at all.

+1 agree one hundred percent

Dwyndal

Reaction score
Another thing that may help some correct me if i'm wrong but i noticed speed changes on my sisters, don't forget to clear cache off your apps via settings/ applications / manage applications go through once with web connections and ads running those collect and slow things down.

grnidkjun

Reaction score
ok.. so this is probably an ignorant question, but to keep all those programs such as those listed above from running in the background all the time, you HAVE to root the phones, or is there a task killer that will auto shut them down?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Internal storage has nothing to do with lag. Your Android device is not like your PC. Using up storage does not cause lag. Look into what's using your CPU and RAM. If you haven't rooted and tried custom ROM's then look into them for performance improvements. A lighter and faster launcher will help as well.

ok.. so this is probably an ignorant question, but to keep all those programs such as those listed above from running in the background all the time, you HAVE to root the phones, or is there a task killer that will auto shut them down?
Do not use auto task killers unless you're looking to kill your battery.