How much does this REALLY cost per month, over and above a cell phone?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Mosca, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Mosca

Mosca New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Verizon salesman told me that it is $30/mo. For some reason, I doubt that. Does it mean that if I tethered my phone to my PC, I can ditch my ISP?

What is it, really? Verizon doesn't make it easy to find out.

2. Fail Tactics

Fail Tactics Member

Ratings:
    +0
    $30/mo is unlimited data. There is a bandwidth limit of 5GB, to prevent people from ditching their ISPs.

3. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No, there is no five gigabyte limit. There is, however, a prohibition against tethering with your Droid in your service agreement. Whether it is ever enforced is another question.

4. Mosca

Mosca New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I think I'll be OK, I'm not going to be downloading music or watching streaming video or anything like that. I'm fairly well personally tethered at the hip to laptops and desktops most of the day, I can do the heavy lifting there.

#4 Mosca, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Mosca

Mosca New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Aha! I will be careful with my usage, then. I intend to only do that when traveling, it is very hard to check forums from the little screen.

6. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    In that case you should be fine. My laptop provides wifi so I seldom have need to tether it to access 3G. In some cases, however, a hotel's "free wifi" is worth exactly what you're paying for it. And in those cases being able to access the internet via 3G is very convenient.

7. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, but this topic has been beaten to death on literally dozens of threads. The fact is that VZW's broadband access plan (for pc's) has a five gigabyte limit. There is no limit on the Droid. However, if VZW determines that you are using your Droid to provide access to another device (tethering) they can unilaterally charge you for a monthly broadband plan (a $30 premium) or terminate your service.

Many users here have reported exceeding 5 gigs per month on a regular basis without being charged. In some cases, they claim to exceed five gigs without tethering; in other cases while tethering.

8. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Correct, as long as youre just using your phone the way inteded, then you'll be fine. If you decide to tether and go over 5g and somehow verizon figures out that youre tethering, then you'll be charged. Which is how it should be to be honest. Yea we pay for unlimited plans, but I don't want some clown slowing down my connection because he decides hes going to be cheap and try to pull a fast one by not paying for internet service at home and just tethers all the time. Using it for basic needs is fine, but when you're destroying the bandwidth for everyone else, you should be charged.

9. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Verizon rep explained it to my son and I this way:

Unlimited means exactly that, unilimited so long as it is used in the manner that it is supposed to be used. In other words, I can surf the net, play online games, and read email and what not on my Droid as much as I want, so long as that is all I am doing. The 5GB cap pertains to "tethering". If you were to use your Droid in such a manner that you were "broadcasting", sending spam emails, streaming video, or audio in a constant manner then, you might be in violation of the "unlimited" part of your contract, because using your phone in that manner is outside the scope of the contract.

Now, I don't know of anyone that has been nailed for the bandwidth they use when tethering, but, that's not to say it won't happen at one point or another.

10. Mosca

Mosca New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it! This is actually very fair, IMO, and I will not be dropping my ISP, nor tethering my Droid for extended periods. I was more worried about keeping an eye on how much I used my device; I don't want to be shocked by a phone bill that already is carrying 5 lines. Now that I know that streaming audio and video is not a big deal, I can have fun.

We were at Caesar's AC a couple weeks ago; $20 for 24 hours of super slow access, on the order of shotgunned 56k modems. And at WDW, it is $15/day. Ugh. But using the Droid for access, I can edit and resize my photos to a nice 250k or so on my computer, and email them around. I suppose I could even transfer them to the phone and sent them untethered, thereby not violating any agreements... I suppose. Just sayin'.

11. Womp

Womp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry, everything you do on your Droid via your Droid's 3G connection within the Droid itself is covered unlimited - Want to run Pandora for Android 24/7? No problem. You don't need to be OCD about how much data it is chewing. It's a beaten to hell subject, eat drink and be merry. $30 UNLIMITED.

As a matter of fact I use as much data on it as I can everyday to get my monies worth and quite honestly my laptop has been very lonely since getting my Droid.

:)

Search tags for this page
how much does a android cost per month
how much does a droid cost monthly
how much does a droid cost per month
how much does a droid x2 cost per month
how much does a droid x2 cost per month with a dataplan

how much does doba cost per month

how much does pandora cost per month
how much does the droid cell phone cost each month

how much does verizon cost per month

what dose it cost a isp to send 5gb of data