How much does data usage actually cost the carrier?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by combat_chuck, Jul 4, 2011.

1. combat_chuck

combat_chuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but this seemed like the most general forum. I am trying to find out how much our data usage actually costs a company like Verizon, like maybe when I use 1GB it cost them 50 cents, idk. I tried searching for it on google but every page it finds is for signing up for a service. So if anyone has the info that would be great or just give me a link and I'll read it myself. Thanks!

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +767
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy s4
    no idea to be honest

I do know they make quite a pretty penny when it comes to text messaging though.

3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's really difficult to assess. You're assuming that a carrier's costs are static when they're not. Consider that the carriers are busy building out their 4G networks, among other things.

4. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    probably like 12 or 39, just my guess :icon_eek:

5. sarreq

sarreq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    short answer, near nothing. it's equipment and greed we're paining for, mostly greed.

long answer. they have to pay money for new equipment capable of the faster speeds and to maintain that equipment (I'm counting wiring as equipment, before anyone asks).
    next is greed. they have to pay various taxes and regulatory fees AND their upper executives big money. if it weren't for all that, we wouldn't be paying nearly as much as we do.

6. jjkrzmar

jjkrzmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you own a business and invest money in it if you could not make a profit?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

7. sarreq

sarreq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nothings wrong with profit itself, but when you're making multiple-millions a year screwing your customers, there's a problem.

8. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    We can complain about it all we want but as long as we keep paying what they want us to, who really is the one to blame?

9. jjkrzmar

jjkrzmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Supply and demand, I love it!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

10. sharkerbaby

sharkerbaby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    more specifically...

priced according to what the market will bear

fundamental concepts of free market

11. hgaskins

hgaskins New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "priced according to what the market will bear "

As long as the government continues to turn a blind eye we will continue to be victims of price gouging. Thee is a limit as to how much profit can be made from a service'

"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. "

12. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    -If you don't like a company's business model; do not support that company.

-If your luxury item is causing you difficulties in paying your bills; rethink the wisdom is keeping said luxury item.

-If you can't bring yourself to get rid of luxury item or find a cheaper alternative; seek professional help for lack of will power, need for status item and/or addiction.

13. hgaskins

hgaskins New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "If you don't like a company's business model; do not support that company."

Wouldn't it be nice if everything was that simple, and I suppose to the simple minded it is that simple. Almost all cell phone companies are gouging the public so this is not just a problem with Verizon. There are laws that the FCC could bring into question regrading some of the charges cell phone companies are levying against the public. The fact that I don't like being unfairly charged doesn't mean that I can't afford the item, it means that I will be among those who raise their voice loud enough to get the attention of those charged with oversight. The reason I've chosen Verizon is because my mother, my brother, and my two sisters all use Verizon and as you know Verizon to Verizon calls saves money.

Zomnomnombie:

I don't mind when people disagree with me because I'm not always right, but I do mind when someone's disagreement is packaged with unnecessary insults. BTW, you only use a semicolon to separate independent clauses not dependent clauses. Have a good day!

14. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Well kama on average it cost Verizon Wireless approximately 2.2 million dollars to build a brand new tower. it cost in hundreds of thousands year to maintain it. at any given METSO they tend to have on average no less than 4 fiber providers. On top of that there's salaries for engineers support people technical folks, sales, customer service , etc. Is there a fee that have to be paid to the government to maintain their Spectrum. So, while I can't give you an exact number I would venture to say that data cost them a lot. While this is true of all carriers Verizon is unique in the regard to say invest in a specially large amount of money into their network infrastructure. It is a fact that they have the largest and best network, that comes with a price.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

15. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Please forgive the poor spelling and punctuation in my last post, I'm using voice to text.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Search tags for this page
how much does data actually cost
how much does data cost carriers
how much does data really cost
phone data charges for carriers
why do carriers charge so much for data
why do cell phone companies charge so much for data

why does data cost so much

why does data usage cost so much
why does mobile data cost so much
why does verizon charge so much for data