How much does a decent bike cost?

Hobn

Reaction score
I'm considering biking to school everyday, it's a fairly straight forward route, and the school is around 4 miles away. However, I do have to cross a park with its dirt roads on the way. So how much should a bike and helmet that suits my needs cost? Also, could you guys recommend any specific models? Should be reasonably cheap, and bear in mind I do have to lug a heavy backpack around. The sidewalk laws are also confusing me a bit, how are those in California? I tried Google, and the result says that I can ride on the sidewalk, but not in certain areas, how should I look out for those areas?

techguru

Reaction score
I agree to look for a lightly used good bike rather than going for a cheap new bike. You really can't get anything decent in adult sizes in a new bike for less than $400 at the bare minimum. Could be quite a bit more to really meet your needs.

Helmets run from about $30 up to $200. All must meet the same safety standards so what you are buying in an expensive helmet is more ventilation and lower weight. Bell is a good low cost brand. Gyro are the same company and a little higher end, but the Bell's are quite good.

If buying new, go to a real bike shop or outdoor outfitter (rei, race pace, etc) and not Wal-mart or Target. Tell them your budget and needs and they'll be able to set you up.

alan