How much difference does a custom kernel make?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by donerico, Sep 14, 2010.

1. donerico

donerico New Member

I am running UD8 with the stock kernel overclocked to 800mhz and it is running very smooth. Have never run a custom kernel and am wondering how much of a difference it makes. Reading how it can be difficult to find a kernel that works well with your setup I am not sure it is worth the trouble.
  2. jeffm1000

jeffm1000 New Member

I'm running Chevy on top of UD8. Currently 1.25 low voltage. I had to turn it down after a couple random reboots. Going to try out the medium voltage to see if that helps. The beauty of the kernel's is that it only takes a few minutes load another.
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

It takes about two minutes to flash a kernel, ten minutes (initially) to see if it is compatible with your device a few hours to see if it runs cooler and has a positive effect on battery life, and if you made a back up first, two minutes to flash back to where you were before anything was done. Well worth it in my book, a kernel can run smoother, cooler, and bring longer battery life, plus in some instances allow you to monitor CPU temps, just get a few on your SD and start flashing, just make a good back-up first :D
  4. giant25

giant25 New Member

I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago, rooted, UD8, and wondering about kernels. DO IT. It is so easy to change kernels, and it really adds a whole new layer of flexibility and control. I use Chevy's 1 Ghz ULV now after starting with P3 kernels (mine ran cooler on Chevy's). It's really not that scary and well worth it. Read Skull One's Overclocking 101 thread if you haven't already.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html
  5. donerico

donerico New Member

Wipe data before installing kernel

I wipe data and cache before installing a ROM, is this necessary of you are only installing a kernel?
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

No, for a kernel no wipe is necessary, if you did all of your data and settings would be gone
  7. donerico

donerico New Member

Thank you!
    I have been reluctant to flash a custom kernel because my phone was working so well with UD8 and the stock kernel over-clocked to 800MHz.
    But I just flashed Chevy LV 1100 and am very impressed. I didn't think I would notice much difference (I din't have screen lags or redraws before) but I certainly can. The camera used to take a little long to come up after pushing the button, now it turns on almost instantly. We'll see what happens to battery life...
    With the phone working so nicely (knock on wood) and so many new things to try I am not in a big hurry to upgrade.
  8. MsterKush

MsterKush New Member

I felt the same way at first after i put on Chevys ULV 1.25 kernel. It's been a week and while my phone has been running cooler and battery life is better, some widgets/apps run slow. For example, Beautiful Widgets just immediately pop up anymore but takes a good second or 3. Screen rotation also seems slower. I have SetCPU at min400 max1000 on ONdemand. Still good IMO:)
  9. JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas Developer Developer

Do it! Custom kernels are great pick one with an interactive kernel MUCH more responsive.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. giant25

giant25 New Member

If you've settled on a kernel, next you should build profiles within SetCPU to throttle your clock speed down under certain conditions to extend battery life (Screen off, high temp, battery % remaining, etc). Good luck.
  11. donerico

donerico New Member

Do you mean it takes a few seconds to draw the widget when you change screens or to show the weather forecast when you press the widget?
Search tags for this page
how much does a retired kernel earn
how to flash a custom kernel
what can custom kernels do
what do custom kerneks do

what do custom kernels do

what does a custom kernal do

what does a custom kernel do

what does a custom kernel do android
what does a kernel do android
what does custom kernel do android
what does kernel do for s4?